Follow Us on Social Media

email icon rss icon icon google plus icon twitter icon facebook icon

Non-Conforming Uses: A Primer for Real Estate Investors

by Kevin Perk on October 15, 2012 · 8 comments

non-conforming uses zoning land

In my previous primer on zoning, I explained how zoning creates a type of rigidity where a single zoning classification is often overlaid on a variety of land uses.  This rigidity creates something called the non-conforming use.  A non-conforming use is a fancy legal term that simply means the existing land use somehow does not fit in with the zoning ordinance.  The non-conformity may be the use of the property, such as a commercial use in a residential zoning district.  Or, it could be in terms of the bulk regulations that limit setbacks, building height, or some other criteria.

Non-conforming uses are allowed to continue being used because they pre-existed the zoning ordinance and are therefore “grandfathered.”  In other words, the uses were legally built to the regulations that existed at the time and are allowed to continue in operation.  A city for example cannot not place your quad-plex in a single family zoning district and order you to stop using the building as a quad-plex as long as you were legal before the zoning was put in place.

There are however some features about non-conforming uses that you should be aware of.  Depending on your state and local laws:

  • You may not be able to expand or upgrade the non-conforming use.
  • You may not be able to change the non-conforming use.
  • You may not be able to rebuild the non-conforming use if it is partially or totally destroyed.  For example, if you were operating a quad-plex in a single family zone and it is destroyed by fire, the only thing you can rebuild is a single family home.

Do the above features mean you should avoid non-conforming uses? 

No.  In my opinion investing in non-conforming uses can be a smart investment as long as you know what you are getting into.  I personally own several non-conforming uses and they present no problems.  I can continue the land use as before.  I can even do repairs as needed.  But, as an investor you need to do your due diligence before you invest so you do not get yourself into an expensive problem.

One of the biggest potential problems with non-conforming uses is that there can be a limitation on how long a non-conforming use can remain vacant and retain its grandfather status.  Some jurisdictions only allow a year, for example.  That may seem like a long time but we have all seen foreclosures in this climate sit vacant for that long or even longer. 

Before you buy any property, non-conforming or not, you should always verify the following:

  • The use of the property,
  • The zoning district the property is located in,
  • How long the property has been vacant,
  • The rules regarding the continuance, expansion and repair of non-conforming uses.

Verifying these items with your local codes and utility offices will save you a lot of potential hassle down the road.

Finally, let me say that it is incumbent upon you, the property owner to keep up with what your local jurisdiction is doing when it comes to zoning.  Planners and politicians like to change things every few years and these changes can suddenly make a conforming property non-conforming.  This can be done with little or no notice.  Watch the public notice section of your local newspaper.  If you see something you do not understand, call the codes office and ask.  It is a lot easier to handle these things on the front end than after they get codified into law.

Photo: asonwoodhead23

Email *

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Dale Osborn October 15, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Another major problem is after you buy then the city changes the zoning on you. Changing the rules in mid stream should not be allowed, but those in power can do what they want to.



Kevin Perk October 15, 2012 at 8:51 pm


They do it all the time and it can really mess you up. You have got to keep on top of things as best you can.

Do you have a specific example you would like to share?

Thanks for reading and commenting,



Clifford Watson October 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

thanks for all the good information.


Kevin Perk October 15, 2012 at 8:52 pm

You are welcome Clifford!

Thank you for taking the time to read my article, I appreciate it.



Karen Rittenhouse October 17, 2012 at 6:39 am

Thanks for your post.

We have one non-conforming SFH and it makes me nervous every time it goes vacant!


Kevin Perk October 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for reading Karen.

Do not get too nervous. As long as you are actively trying to rent the property you are most likely OK. Your intent is to maintain the use. If however you did nothing to or with the property for a specified time you might then need to worry. Be sure to keep the utilities on, that tends to show continuous use.



mike October 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

Great article Kevin.
I just had a deal under contract with a single family preexisting
Non conforming lot. Did some due dillagence and one of them was with the
Building inspector/zoning officer. It was a tear down and the house was
Vacant for 5 years. I got the inspector verbal approval on what are plans were for
The new house. I pulled out of the deal for other reasons.
Your post caught my attention on the one year period.
Something I will look into a little more closely. I don’t do
New construction, all rehabs but with the price be so low on some
Of these tear downs in preexisting non conforming lots
I am exploring it with modulars. Anything else you can share
On the time limits of grandfathering is much appreciated. Feel free to inbox me


Kevin Perk October 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm


Thanks for reading and commenting.

Be careful about relying on verbal approval from a building inspector. It will not matter what they told you if they are wrong. Even if they put it in writing it will not matter if they are wrong. So how do you find out beforehand? Good question, when you find out let me know :)

As far as the time limits of grandfathering, that will depend on your local ordinance and on the enabling state statute so I really cannot give you specific information. Check with an attorney familiar with the zoning laws in your particular jurisdiction as they really can vary from city to city.

Sorry I am not able to help more, but if you have more questions, ask and I will try and answer.



Leave a Comment

Comment Policy:

• Use your real name and only your name in the field designated for your name.
• No keywords allowed as anchor text in the name or comment fields.
• No signature links allowed under your comments
• You may use links in the body of your comment, but it must be relevant to the discussion at hand, and not merely be some promotional link.
• We will have NO reservations about deleting your content if we feel you are posting merely to get a link without adding value to our discussion.
If you add value, but still post keywords, we'll use your comment, but remove your link and keywords.
• For more information about acceptable practice, see our site rules.

Want your photo to appear next to your comments? Set up your Gravatar today.

Previous post:

Next post: