BP Radio Podcast 001: Building a Successful House Flipping Business and Losing Millions with Marty Boardman

by Brandon Turner on January 17, 2013 · 44 comments

Real Estate Investing Podcast

Today we’re excited to announce the launch of the brand new BiggerPockets Radio Podcast. Each week, we will be bringing you incredible real estate investing tips, training, and interviews with actual investors who are in the field, making it happen. You can listen online (below), download it to listen later, on your smartphone, or via iTunes: all for free.

Last week, Marty Boardman wrote a killer post for the BiggerPockets blog called “How to Lose a Million Dollars in Real Estate: A Step by Step Guide” which was an instant hit among BiggerPockets readers. We knew that Marty would make a great first guest on the new show.

Listen to the show here or on iTunes:

In This Week’s Podcast, We’ll Explore

• How Marty Lost over $8,000,000 in the Real Estate Crash
  • The Best Advice Marty Ever Received about Real Estate Investing
  • How to Find Local Mentors to Teach, Train, and Bring You Under Their Wings
  • How to Quit Your Job and Become a Full Time Real Estate Investor
  • Using The Four Flipping Boxes to Flip Houses
  • How to Raise Private Money for Your Real Estate Investing Deals
  • Why Wholesalers Do Not Need a Buyer’s List - and What They Do Need
  • The Four “Must Haves” in a Real Estate Partnership
  • How Marty Got a Book Deal for a new House Flipping Book
  • Marty’s Favorite Real Estate Investing Book

Links from the Show:

Books Mentioned in the Podcast

Tweetable Topics:

• Quit wasting time and money having gurus teach you real estate investing. Find someone local, add value to them, and learn. Tweet This
  • I’ll work with anyone – but they gotta do 1 of 2 things: bring me money, or bring me deals.Tweet This
  • Investing in real estate is hard work – but it’s rewarding. Tweet This
  • Think about your financial goals – and then work backward to figure out what to do now. Tweet This
  • Creating a brand for yourself is vitally important for a fix-and-flip investor.Tweet This
  • You have to have a good track record to raise capital. Tweet This
  • Find a good deal – and the money will come. Tweet This

Marty is the Chief Financial Officer for Rising Sun Capital Group, LLC, a real estate investment firm based in Gilbert, AZ. His firm purchases homes at the courthouse steps and public REO auctions. They have two exit strategies, either fix and flip or seller financing. Connect with Marty on his Blog, FlippingPhoenixHouses.com.

If you missed the link above, listen to the show here:

Max January 17, 2013 at 4:01 am

Brandon,

You wrote “…or via iTunes: all for free” Can you please paste a hyperlink to iTunes? I cannot find it,or maybe it is not available for Poland. Did you upload it already? Thanks Max

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 7:16 am

Hey Max –
The show will be available on iTunes shortly. Unfortunately, it take a little while (around 24 hours or so, from what we understand) for iTunes to add you. Once they do, we’ll update the post. In fact, I’m about to make a note up top to let people know. Until then, you can listen via the embedded player on the post itself or can download the MP3.

Thanks for the interest!

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Max – You can now get the post on iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/biggerpockets-podcast-real/id594419649. Thanks again for the interest and please take a minute to rate the podcast when you do subscribe.

Wendy January 17, 2013 at 10:12 am

RSS link please.

Brandon Turner January 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hey Wendy – we are still getting all the kinks worked out, but this should be the RSS feed:

Can you let me know that it works for you? Thanks!

Wendy January 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

Worked like a charm! I use BeyondPod on my Android phone. Thanks!

Joshua Dorkin January 18, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’m glad to hear that it worked, but what did you think, Wendy?

Wendy January 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I try not to judge a podcast until it’s had a few episodes. Since this is your first, I say this with the understanding that you are still working out the kinks. (and I’ve only heard the first 5 minutes so far)

Audio is almost as important as content to me. The audio on the lead in was perfect. Clear and crisp. Josh, your audio was slightly muffled. Clear, but cloudy. Brandon’s audio was clear and crisp. Throughout the podcast there was clipping, almost like call waiting was beeping in. It didn’t happen during the lead in.

Marty was a great guest! Humble man with lots to teach us.

If you ever run out of content, I would be happy to have to cover some threads from the forum.

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Hey Wendy –
We just got accepted into iTunes. Here’s the link:

Daniel January 17, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hey guys – first of all, I am super excited that you’re venturing into the podcast world. I am starving for high quality podcasts, and am hopeful that you’ll put out some good ones!

Question: when I click the “download” link, it opens a new window with the file playing, but it doesn’t actually start a download onto my machine, or take me to a link where I’m able to download it – unless I’m missing something? Please advise – thanks.

Brandon Turner January 17, 2013 at 10:52 am

Hey Daniel,

Try “right clicking” on Download and select “Save Link As” or something similar (I’m on a Mac, and that’s the option I have… a PC should have a similar choice) and let me know if that works for ya.

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hey Daniel –
It looks like the other guys have given you some good advice on downloading. The podcast is now officially on iTunes. You can subscribe at:

Thanks again for the interest!

Tim January 17, 2013 at 10:48 am

@Daniel: If you right click on the “Download” link, you can click “Save Link As” which will then save it to your machine as an mp3 file. Hope this helps!

Brandon Turner January 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

Haha thanks Tim! Great minds…

Jeff Brown January 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I love that my initial impression of Marty, when we first met in person at last year’s BP convention, was spot on. This podcast is knowledge, expertise, and experience on parade.

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Awesome, Jeff! I’m not sure how you remember the BP Summit, but I’m glad you have fond memories of Marty at the very least. Thanks for the feedback!

Glenn Espinosa January 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Great Podcast guys!

Thanks to Marty for coming on and sharing his expertise and putting his failures out there for everyone to learn from. It takes a different type of investor to look at ones failures and to learn from it and more so to share the lessones learned to others.

Can’t wait til the next one.

Glenn

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Awesome feedback, Glenn. It was definitely brave of Marty to share this story with everyone. We’re glad to have had the opportunity to talk with him.

John E January 17, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Guys, first off congratulations! Also awesome episode? I cant wait to listen to more BiggerPocket members and all of your episodes. So who are all on the future podcast guest list?

Joshua Dorkin January 17, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Thanks so much, John! We’re excited to have a great interested audience of people like yourself. I can’t hint to future guests yet, but perhaps in the future we’ll do something like that.

Next Thursday we’ll be releasing the next one, so stay tuned!

Jeffrey Hall January 18, 2013 at 4:52 am

Excited to listen to this at work today!

Joshua Dorkin January 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Hey Jeffrey – Did you end up listening? What are your thoughts? We look forward to your feedback!

Kris Knight January 18, 2013 at 11:10 am

Nice job! Content was great, and I really like having the links to content posted right with the audio clip. Maybe next week I’ll head over to iTunes to try it.

Brandon Turner January 18, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Kris! I’ve always thought that links help a lot – and I’m surprised more people don’t use them! Also – did you notice the “Tweetable Topics” section? I’m a big fan of that too, because I’m kinda a Twitter junkie!

Don’t forget to leave us an iTunes review! Thanks for listening and commenting!

Nichole January 19, 2013 at 8:35 am

This was AWESOME!! The first time I have heard anyone say, “Just find Deals!” Now, I KNOW what my focus is!! Do the things that will help me FIND deals, first and foremost! YES! Thank you so much for this! I wish the 3 of you would write a non-nonsense, cut the fluff, guide to wholesaling, cause that’s the best rubber to the road advice I’ve read! Thanks again!

n

Brandon Turner January 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hey Nchole – thank you! I, too, learned a lot being able to pick Marty’s brain! He knows his stuff. This was a super nice comment – and I wouldn’t complain if you left a similar one on iTunes … ;) Thanks Nichole!

Joshua Dorkin January 20, 2013 at 7:37 am

Hey Nichole –
Thanks for the great feedback! We really appreciate it. I’m not sure if you’ve taken the time to read through the articles here on the BiggerPockets Blog or if you’ve spent any time on our forums, but if you do, you’ll find a ton of great content like you did in the podcast. As for your idea . . . don’t worry — we’ve got something up our sleeves!

Last thing, please do take the time to stop by iTunes and leave the podcast a review. Every one helps!

I’ll look forward to seeing you on the main BiggerPockets site and hope to see you contributing on the forums.

Derek January 21, 2013 at 10:26 am

Good information thanks. Ordering the book today.

Brandon Turner January 21, 2013 at 10:31 am

Thanks Derek!

Joshua Dorkin January 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

That’s great to hear, Derek. Enjoy!

mona January 22, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Great talk! I’m an investor and I’ve been meaning to get my license. I needed the extra push so great tip. Keep the solid speakers coming!

Joshua Dorkin January 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Hey Mona – Thanks for the message and for listening to the podcast. If you get a second, please do leave a review on iTunes for the show . . . every positive review helps us get a little more visibility.

Sky Minor January 24, 2013 at 11:40 am

I love the honesty! Its so refreshing to hear the truth about this business not some overpriced and inaccurate “guru” fluff.

Joshua Dorkin January 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Sky! Make sure to check out our second show as well . . . we’re going to be putting this show on for the foreseeable future, so get ready for a ton of great learning from people who are actually doing it!

sheree January 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Gosh I think I’ve just fallen in love. Thanks for sharing honest and frank information. I’m brand new, trying to figure out where to start, out a couple hundred bucks to gurus, and just amazed by BiggerPockets. Again, a big Thank You! I’m off to go make myself a member. :)

Joshua Dorkin January 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Sheree –
Thank you for the awesome message! I’m glad you enjoyed the show and I hope you’ll check out show #2 as well . . . subscribe on iTunes and each week when a new one comes out, you’ll have it. As for jumping on the site, please do. Once you have your profile set up, introduce yourself on the New Member Forums and then get involved in the many discussions on site. You’ll find all the help you need over there.

Mark Brogan January 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Loaded with great info
Thanks for this great website and podcast
Thanks Marty,Brandon and Josh

Best info site I have ever came across

Mark

Joshua Dorkin January 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Hey Mark – Thanks so much for the comment! I’m glad you like the site and enjoyed the podcast. Be sure to check out the next episode as well . . . we’ve got a lot more to come! If you have a second, we’d love if you could take a minute to review the show on iTunes . . . every review/rating helps us get more exposure.

Otherwise, please jump in and join us on our main site – the social network for real estate investors at BiggerPockets.com — you’ll find that it is an incredible place to connect with your peers.

Best, Josh

Terry H May 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Wow. What a great podcast. Everything Marty said hit home with me. I am going into real estate understanding that it will take education and a lot of hard work to succeed, just like he said. What an inspirational and motivating story Marty has. To go from a net worth of 8 million to -2 million must of been devastating. I’m sure many people would not have been able to handle that, but Marty makes it clear that you can get through any “rough patch” (to understate it a bit) if you remain persistant. I look forward to the day when I have $8 million to lose! I’ll make sure I check out that book “Rich Dad Poor Dad” and again, awesome podcast. I will certainly listen to them all.

Terry

Jason Eyerly January 6, 2014 at 11:56 am

Hello!
Marty said access to the MLS in essential even if you don’t plan on making offers or listing (which I do) and it’s much easier to look at comps and such yourself and so he STRONGLY recommends getting your real estate salesperson license. I’ve looked up what’s required in my state, but I still don’t understand this MLS thing. I thought MLS was just looking at websites like Trulia, Zillion, Realtor, etc. What happens or changes if I get the license? What does it allow me to do that I wouldn’t be able to otherwise? Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jason Eyerly

Anantha Lakshmi March 21, 2014 at 11:29 am

Being a newbie, after posting the intro, thought will start with the podcasts. Found it odd to see that the first podcast title to have some negativity “losing millions” :) Thought – why would someone want to start the very first podcast with such a title. Listening to him, I am very impressed at the honest discussion. It helps to know both successes and failures – one can learn what to do and what not to do from our own experience as well as others. Now on to the second podcast !!!

Brandon Turner January 18, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I’ll blame me for Josh’s sound – I had the levels too high and didn’t realize it until we were finishing! Oops! Compare next week’s with this one, and let us know if you notice a difference. Not sure about the clipping – I’ll check into it :)

Thanks Wendy for the feedback!

Wendy January 18, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Josh,
My mistake about the clipping. My player is doing it to all feeds. Odd, first time it’s ever done this and it had to be when I was listening to a new podcast. Sorry.

Also, I mistyped earlier. If you ever run out of content, I would be happy if you discussed threads from the forum.

Joshua Dorkin January 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Hey Wendy – No problem on that . . . there were some minor sound issues and I thought they were amplified for you for some reason. I’m glad to hear there isn’t a problem.

I don’t think we’ll ever run out of content. With hundreds of thousands of topics on BiggerPockets to choose from, I think we’ll be okay for a little while at least! ;)

Thanks again for the feedback!