It’s Here! The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing

by Joshua Dorkin on February 19, 2013 · 27 comments

Ultimate Beginner's Guide

Thousands of people come to BiggerPockets every day asking one very foundational question, “How do I get started investing in real estate?”

For those who have been on BiggerPockets for a while, you know there is a vast amount of information here, with thousands of blog articles and nearly half a million forum posts. All this information is helpful and usable – but can leave new investors feeling overwhelmed with the sheer volume. Up until this point, the answer to the above question has been to search the site (still a great idea!) for specific answers. However, things are about to change…

After many months of work, we’re finally excited to present to you the Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing! This online guide will help new investors get a firm foundation to build their investing business upon. With topics ranging from how to gain a solid real estate education, real estate niches, financing, marketing, and more, this guide is truly the definitive guide for helping new investors learn the ropes.

This guide doesn’t come with a $97 per month fee or a profit-sharing requirement. There is no membership required, no sales pitch, no celebrity guru paid endorsements. This guide is absolutely, 100% free for you. There is no upsell to the “real meat” but simply valuable, actionable help for beginners. To check out the guide, click the button below:

UBG Banner 300 x 250 Final

How Can You Help?

This guide has the potential to change lives.

If you appreciate the value that BiggerPockets brings to the investment community, please help us out by sharing this guide to your friends and family, on social media, and anywhere else you think it might help. Simply click the link above to go to the guide and click some of the “Share Buttons” located at the top right (see picture below.)

Ultimate Beginners Guide to Real Estate Investing

Enjoy and let us know what you think in the comments below!

Melodee Lucido February 19, 2013 at 6:24 am

Joshua & BP Team,

This is over the top!! You continually improve Bigger Pockets to far exceed any real estate forum in history. This is super exciting and will change the lives of those that are serious about taking control of their financial & lifestyle world.

Thank you so much for your vision and diligence on all our behalf.

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 6:34 am

Thanks Melodee! I appreciate your words and hope the guide has the impact that you believe it does. That’s why we worked so hard to put it together. Please share it with everyone you know so we can help educate all the new investors out there.

Charles Boehm Hill February 19, 2013 at 8:36 am

Josh,
This is an amazing gift. Thank you for your contribution to the RE investment community

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I’m glad you like it. Please spread the word about the guide when and how you can!

Irish February 19, 2013 at 8:38 am

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm

You’re welcome X3

jerome February 19, 2013 at 8:44 am

There must be some type of mind reading going on because this is exactly what I’ve been looking for since I’ve joined the site this year. This site has so much info I have a million tabs open.I really appreciate this!

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Jerome – I always have a million tabs open as well. I’m glad you’re excited about the guide. Dig in and put it to use!

Brandon February 19, 2013 at 10:09 am

To Joshua and the rest of the BP team, you guys rock!! You folks bring such great value to this site, thank you so much for this awesome material, this will surely help in my coming endeavors!

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thanks for the very kind message, Brandon. We work hard to make sure our visitors get an immense amount of value out of the site. This guide is no different. Please share it when you can!

Danny Johnson February 19, 2013 at 10:21 am

Absolutely incredible!

I can only imagine how long this took to put together. You guys go above and beyond each and every day.

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This is something I’ve wanted to do for many years now, Danny. With Brandon’t help, we were able to make the idea come to life. We’ve worked MANY long hours on it, and I’m glad it shows. Spread the word . . .

Julie H. February 19, 2013 at 10:25 am

Great information here, I am interested in reading this and hope to learn some great information about investing. I believe it is never too late to learn different avenues and improve yourself and strategy for how you invest. Thanks for sharing this information.

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Julie – It is NEVER too late. Dig into the guide and get your plan together!

Ron Ridgway February 19, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks for the insight I look forward becoming an established investor and sharing my knowledge.

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Make it happen, Ron!

Arthur February 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Congrats guys – this is a HUGE accomplishment. Nice work. I can’t wait to get a signed copy ;)

Jason February 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Josh,

Outstanding. This is one of the many reasons BP is far and away better than any other RE information site on the web.

I look forward to reading the guide. I’m sure there will be some great nuggets of wisdom in there. I consider myself only 2 steps above rookie as it is and I still get asked this question quite frequently. It will be nice to give them a free resource to help build their internal fire.

Jason

Joshua Dorkin February 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Hey Jason –
Thanks for the message. I think the fundamental difference between BP and other sites in the space is that we care more about our users than making money off them. Please go through it and let us know your thoughts. Of course, I think you’ll find it to be quite good. If you agree, do share it online however you can. We want it to help as many people as it can.

Josh

Sharon Vornholt February 20, 2013 at 7:26 am

Hey Guys – Do you have a “printable version”?

Sharon

Joshua Dorkin February 20, 2013 at 7:32 am

Not at the moment, Sharon.

Siim Sild February 20, 2013 at 8:06 am

Superior! I haven’t made it all through yet, but I certainly will! I just wanted to say the best piece of advise to all the beginners by far! I find this very good because it has answered many of my questions. The aspekt that I love the most- this article is about real life. It’s not about foolish dreams of building extreme wealth with no commitment. This guide has grown a bit of fear in me. Not sort of terror, but I am feeling a little fear (which I didn’t have before) and stress, which is good. It means that I am starting to understand the hard work and the responsibilities of a real estate investor.

Many thanks!

Joshua Dorkin February 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Siim –
The gurus will tell you that it is easy — we want to give a realistic look at the life of an investor. The fear is good . . . it will help you be methodical. Just get that plan together using the lessons from the guide and I’m sure the fear will subside. There’s no better way to lose the fear than being prepared.

Rose Fitz February 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for the valuable information.

Joshua Dorkin February 20, 2013 at 3:07 pm

No problem, Rose. Just put the guide to good use!

Jane August 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Seriously, the 2% rule? “2% rule states that your monthly rent should be approximately 2% of the purchase price.” I’d really like to know where in the world you would find such properties. I have been investing for about 10 years now on the side, 1% rule is what I use and these days even that is really hard to come by.

With that said, i’m very glad to find this community with like minded people and looking forward to spending more time here.

Melodee Lucido August 31, 2013 at 7:28 am

Jane, we find homes that fit this rule quite often in Memphis : > Cash Flow City : >