It’s not a secret that I’m a cat person. If you listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast, I’m sure you’ve heard Josh pick on me and my “crazy cat lady” lifestyle.
I can’t help it – I just like those little guys so much.
The picture of the cat to the right is actually my little buddy Sonny, who is my best friend 80% of the time and my arch nemesis the other 20%. If you are a cat person, you know what I mean.
So being a cat person, I’m drawn to funny pictures, videos, and gifs on the internet dealing with cats – and no matter your personal preference on cats – you probably can’t resist some funny cat content either (after all – you did click the link to read this post!)
So today, while watching some cat gifs, my mind inevitably began to draw some connections between the attitudes of the cats and the way entrepreneurs run their businesses. Maybe I’m just looking for an excuse to share my favorite cat gifs – or maybe cats really have a secret agenda to make you a better entrepreneur (my money is on the latter!)
Either way, enjoy the following gifs and the lessons they can teach you. And if you enjoy the post- do me a favor and share it on Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, or your other favorite social networks!
1.) If You Don’t Wanna Fail – Don’t Over Extend Yourself
For a entrepreneur, risk is inevitable. After all – the greater the risk, the greater the reward – right? However, one of the largest reasons entrepreneurs fail is by over extending oneself. Like the cat above in the bathtub, we often step over the edge just a little too far and end up taking a financial or emotional bath that can lead to disaster. Whether it’s purchasing a new piece of real estate when finances are too tight or expanding your business to quick, it’s important that our curiosity and excitement is tethered to solid business sense.
2.) Learn From Those Wiser Than You
Despite what you think – you are not the biggest “cat” around. There are always others in your industry from whom you can learn from and can help you grow your business even stronger; it’s important to seek those leaders out and learn from them. Look for others in your industry and look to see what they are doing and how you can imitate their successes. Take them out to lunch, attend seminars (real ones, not pitch-fests) where they are speaking, and follow them on Twitter (ehem… @BiggerPockets.)
Read the best books in your industry (such as this list of the best real estate investing and wealth building books) and learn from those who have walked the walk. For example, when learning how to invest in real estate, I discovered the BiggerPockets Forums and the many seasoned investors who donate their time to answer questions and help new investors – and it completely transformed my investing future.
However, don’t become obnoxious, like the kitten in the above gif, or you might suffer some backlash!
3.) It’s Okay (and Smart) to Ask For Help
A smart business owner takes risks – and sometimes those risks don’t pan out.
Sometimes, like the cat stuck in the door in the above gif, an entrepreneur needs to ask for help. Don’t let your pride get in the way of asking for help, for assistance, or for advice. Sometimes there are others who can “open a door” for us when we are stuck – all you need to do is call out for help.
4.) Attack Back
You are going to get slapped around when building your business – that’s a fact. Whether it’s a competitor trying to push you out of business, a family member with negative words about your business, or simply life throwing lemons at you – problems will arise and you will be attacked. It’s not a matter of if- but when.
However, like this cat – don’t just sit there and take the abuse: attack back! I’m not talking about getting your intern posse out there to physically break some legs, but go on the offensive and overcome those problems. Not only will you overcome the immediate concern- you’ll thicken your skin to be able to better handle future problems.
5.) Focus on What Matters
It’s easy to get consumed by our projects, isn’t it?
It’s the curse of an entrepreneur: we work 100 hours a week just to avoid working 40! Because entrepreneurs tend to love what they do, we don’t mind the 100 hours because it doesn’t really feel like work. However, for the loved ones in our life (like the cat in the gif above!) it IS work and it’s taking time away from them.
So don’t let your quest for entrepreneurial success make your forget about what really matters in this world. Next time your cat, kids, spouse, or friends “walk across your keyboard” – don’t consider it a distraction, consider it a gift.
Which was your favorite cat gif or entrepreneurial lesson? Share with us in the comments below! Also – If you liked this post – don’t forget to share it on your Facebook!
5 Lessons Crazy Cat GIFS Can Teach Us About Entrepreneurship (Prepare to Smile...)
by Brandon Turner