BP Podcast 055: The Five Steps Needed to Get Any Lender to Say “Yes” with Jimmy Moncrief

by Brandon Turner on January 30, 2014 · 75 comments

Jimmy Moncrief Podcast

Simply put – this podcast could change your financial life.

You see, a banker can be your best friend or your worst enemy when trying to invest in real estate, as a great loan can mean the difference between long term success and failure. This is why we are super excited to introduce you to Jimmy Moncrief (your new best friend!) on the BiggerPockets Podcast today.

Jimmy is a commercial bank underwriter as well as a real estate investor, so he has a unique insight into the mind of a bank – especially involving real estate investing. . Jimmy is going to share some incredible, actionable tips that any investor can start using today to get your bank to say “Yes” to your next financing request. In addition, Jimmy offers some unique tips for finding great FSBO deals and getting into your first deal.

This show contains so many tips and ideas to help you do more deals, get better financing, and change your future – so grab your pen and paper and set aside the next hour for a truly remarkable show.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

In This Show, We Cover:BiggerPockets Podcast _ Real Estate Investing and Wealth Building 9.42.11 AM

• Turning your own home into a rental
  • Buying a cash flow crazy triplex
  • Jimmy’s “lucky” method of finding properties FSBO
  • How real estate investors do everything backwards
  • Jimmy’s awesome “Quick Tip” about interviewing a bank
  • An insider look at the Five “Cs” for getting a loan
  • Why Jimmy hates credit scores
  • How to turn around a loan denial
  • Getting commercial “HUD” loans
  • Tips for refinancing your investment properties
  • Using cross collateralization to secure financing
  • No money down… is it possible?
  • And LOTS more…

Books Mentioned in this Show

Links from the Show:

Tweetable Topics

HUD loans are like a pregnancy: fun at the beginning, painful at the end! (Click to Tweet!)

If you are serious about investing in real estate – you need to know the 5 Cs. (Click to Tweet!)

If you take a proactive approach to lending, everything works out better. (Click to Tweet!)

If you want to be a serious real estate investor – treat it like a business. (Click to Tweet!)

Connect with Jimmy

Gerald K. January 30, 2014 at 2:41 am

Jimmy, great podcast. Josh and Brandon, you did a great job asking a lot of great questions. The 5 C’s was really great info. Jimmy, will definitely be checking out more of your stuff on BP and your blog. Thanks so much for sharing.

Joshua Dorkin January 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Thanks for listening, Gerald, and for the feedback. We always try to ask the questions that we think others would want to ask — hopefully we accomplish that each week!

Jimmy January 30, 2014 at 9:39 am

Gerald – thanks for the nice comment!

Jeff Jamieson January 30, 2014 at 10:47 am

What a great episode! I listened to this on my way to work this morning and it hit home very hard for me! I am a brand new MLO and this perspective, I think, will make my transition to my new career a lot easier. Thanks a lot Jimmy! I will be following you, much appreciated!

Jeff

Jimmy January 30, 2014 at 11:32 am

Jeff

Thanks for the positive feedback! Good luck in your new career!

Joe January 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

Guys, great show!
This is the fist time I tune in and I’m glad I did.
Having an architecture background, it makes perfect sense to put together a presentation of your financial position.
I plan to create one, and make it graphically creative.
I hope it will blur my rookie status.

Joshua Dorkin January 30, 2014 at 11:46 am

Joe – Thanks for listening, and that’s a great idea! Since you’re a new listener, I definitely encourage you to go back and listen to the rest of our shows — they will provide you with a TON of amazing insight to help you and your career. Lots of luck to you!

Jimmy January 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Joe – great comment!

80% of the world are visual learners! Having visuals greatly increases your probability of getting a loan approved!

Kathy LeRoy January 30, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Absolutely wonderful podcast… I took many notes. As a Realtor for the past 8 years I’ve had wonderful working relationships with a variety of residential loan officers. Obviously, the loans were for my clients and mostly residential, owner occupied, single family homes – based on these positive experiences, would it be helpful to have one of them “introduce” me to the small business/commercial loan officer within their company?
Thank you.

Josh & Brandon -Congratulations on your continued success! You have a wonderful talent for identifying and sharing high quality information in a way that feels personal, as if we’re spending time with a good friend. Thanks :)
Kathy

Brandon Turner January 30, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Thank you Kathy! That means a lot :)

Jimmy January 30, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Kathy – that would be a great idea!

Thanks for the comment!

Sam January 30, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Definitely one of the best podcasts so far. Very eye opening and empowering. So jam packed with info that I’m listening a second time with my notebook. Thanks guys!

Jimmy January 31, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thanks Sam! That’s a BIG COMPLIMENT!

Faith Chesney January 30, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Jimmy, Thanks so much for the information in the podcast. My husband and I are getting started in real estate and actually live in Chattanooga. We are really just at the stage of soaking up information and trying to develop a good network online and locally. Let me know if you get a local biggerpockets meet-up together, would love to join and connect with you. Thanks again!!

Jimmy January 31, 2014 at 7:57 am

Faith – thanks for the comment!

It’s a small world! Message me and maybe we can get our families together.

There’s a handful of us Chattanoogans here on BiggerPockets and I’m trying to organize a meet-up in March.

Interestingly enough we are all family types investing in buy-and-hold property types.

Omi C January 30, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Jimmy, Josh, Brandon – great show as always guys. Thank you!

I had a couple of questions:

1. About Conditions. Isn’t this also in your control? Isn’t this all about choosing a property in a market/location where the conditions are in your favor that it will generate cashflow or otherwise be a good investment? Or did I totally misunderstand this C?

2. Jimmy you made a fleeting comment about applicants writing some kind of a letter as part of the application process. I was hoping Josh/Brandon would dig into this more. Can you elaborate?

Thanks again..

Jimmy January 31, 2014 at 7:59 am

Omi

Thanks for the comment and question!

1. Yes – this is mostly out of your control. But you should evaluate this as a risk for your investment.

2. Yes – in the letter just hit the highlights and a quick summary so the bankers can get a quick summary of the deal so they don’t have to go digging through tax returns and emails.

Hope this helps!

Omi C January 31, 2014 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply Jimmy – makes sense.

Michael January 31, 2014 at 6:13 am

Good show, great to hear more from the bankers point of view. I’d like clarification on something though. When you were talking about collateral, you talked about pledging investment accounts. So if you have an IRA and pledge that, are you able to effectively then borrow 100% LTV or at least put less than 20% down? And is this something that can be commonplace or are things like this difficult to find a lender that will accept that?

Thanks

Jimmy January 31, 2014 at 8:03 am

Michael

Thanks for the comment!

There are a lot of rules around this and obviously its going to vary by bank.

Unfortunately there’s a Yes and a No to your question.

Yes – if you pledge an investment account you can effectively borrow 100%

No – you can’t pledge an IRA or another type of retirement account. Note, this is only for traditional IRA type of investments. Self-directed IRA’s have a different set of issues.

Doug Merriott January 31, 2014 at 7:37 am

Great show guys. Congrats on the Million listens!

I personally favor smaller banks and credit unions. So much more flexibility.

Jimmy, thanks for the 5C. Very, very enlightening.

Jimmy January 31, 2014 at 8:00 am

Doug

Thanks for the comment!

I prefer small banks too due to their flexibility! Of-course I’m biased though!

Andy Teasley January 31, 2014 at 10:05 am

Is there a problem on you guy’s end or am I the only one whose podcast started twice and ended abruptly?

Omi C January 31, 2014 at 10:31 am

Played fine for me Andy. Probably an issue on your end.

Joshua Dorkin January 31, 2014 at 11:54 am

I think it may be a local issue, Andy.

Brandon Turner January 31, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Phew! I freaked out there a little bit! :)

Taylor Jennings January 31, 2014 at 11:56 am

How to get good deals, “Steal the FSBO signs” haha Where do I buy the training?

Interviewing the Banker – Good stuff. Applies to everything you do.

Character
Capacity
Capital
Conditions
Collateral

Good to know. Thanks Jimmy!

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:45 am

Taylor – thanks for the kind words!

Jonna Weber January 31, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Thank you Jimmy! I will feel much more equipped in approaching lenders for real estate needs in the future – it is always so good to remember that most actually WANT our business.

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:48 am

Thanks Joanna!

Appreciate the kind words!

James February 1, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Jimmy,
I am not sure whether i missed it. you mentioned about you getting an unsecured line of credit from a bank. Can you please let me know on how to do that. I have equity is my investment houses, can i use that to get line of credit from a bank ? How many % would it usually be when the bank decided to give a line of credit ?

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:50 am

James – great questions!

Yes – you can use equity in your investment properties and get a line of credit secured with this equity.

All of the other questions are different because of bank credit policies.

James February 3, 2014 at 8:11 am

Jimmy,

Is it HELOC or some other form of line of credit program ?.

james

Xiomara Pina February 1, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Thank you for this podcast. We have learned so much!
Already made our list of lenders and questions to ask them. Great advice. Best piece of info: reverse the process on the lender and interview them.

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:51 am

Xiomara – thanks for the compliment and kind words!

That is one of the biggest takeaways when negotiating – reverse the process!

Tom Sylvester February 2, 2014 at 6:43 am

Great cast. It with TONS of great information and it is always good to pull back the curtains and get “insider info”.

My favorite part was Jimmy’s advice on how to approach lenders and “interview” them. This is one of my core beliefs that sets apart successful people in just about anything they do, and what I recommend to anyone I work with. Instead of going into a bank, or job interview, or any other situation where you might be asking someone else for something, shift your mindset and interview them. Make them wants to work with you, and make them sell you on why you should work with this. If people take nothing else from this cast (and hopefully they take a lot of other great information), that one piece of information can change your life.

So thanks for the great cast Jimmy, Josh & Brandon.

PS – I literally lol’ed when the Detroit convo came up.

Joshua Dorkin February 2, 2014 at 8:21 am

Thanks, as always, for listening, Tom! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:53 am

Tom – thanks for the kind words!

You have a great point – reversing the process can be applied to all kinds of negotiating!

Thanks again!

Cory Binsfield February 2, 2014 at 10:23 am

Wow, great show guys!

One million downloads and now you hit it off with one of the most vexing parts of the real estate process. The mysterious underwriter.

Q1. What on earth happens when my business banker presents my package to the loan committee? Is it a coffee and donut club or an intense fire round where the banker is selling my deal and the loan committee is grilling him on my 5 Cs?

It’s been my experience that some loan committees are savvy and see the benefits of multi family real estate and other loan committees are dumber than ……..

Oh, I’m sorry, not that savvy.

For example, a few years back I was working with a small community bank and one of the loan committee members told my banker that he once owned one rental and he never made any money.

He was instrumental in declining the loan (I think he was one of the owners of the bank).

After I got declined, I took my banker out for lunch and asked him how many non performing vacation homes and developments did he have on the books (the bank was getting crushed and the regulators were all over them).

He chuckled and said it was way to many.

Next, I asked him how many non performing income properties did he have in his portfolio.

He said none.

Q2: Are loan committees owners of the bank or independent board members?

By the way, I know a guy that used the exact same strategy as Jimmy’s when he purchased his dream home. He called the FSBO owner and then stole the sign at 3am. Just like Jimmy’s strategy, the property was off the beaten path.

He’s lived in this same house for over a decade now and we still laugh when ever we talk about his dream home purchase.

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:57 am

Cory

Thanks for the kind words!

Q1:
Loan committee’s are usually a rigorous debate between the credit side of the bank and the sales side.

Yes – I agree some of them are sophisticated and some aren’t.

This is why in the podcast I mentioned several times it’s important to develop relationships with multiple banks.

Q2:

Yes – depends on the bank but most loan committee’s are made up of shareholders. They consist of executive management within the bank.

Kyle February 2, 2014 at 11:29 am

Great info as always. You could have Jimmy on a few more times, I listened to it twice there was so much good info.

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:58 am

Kyle

That’s dedication! I love it!

Kizzy February 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm

This is a great show yet. Well the few I’ve listened to. Great information, thanks Jimmy!

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 6:58 am

Thanks Kizzy!

Kizzy February 3, 2014 at 10:53 am

You’re welcome Jimmy, I was a little excited when I initially wrote this (sorry for any errors). I am at the beginning stages of investing. I have yet to make an offer or secure finanacing. The information you provided really gave me the tools I need to increase my chances of being succesful the first time around. I wrote the 5 C’s down and I’m going to work on them one at a time. I also loved the tip for creating a presentation or business plan. It’s awesome to hear someone in your position explaining in detail what’s needed. You can read and read but at times it’s best to hear it from the man who has the magic pen. :)

P.S. – I spoke with a possible Lender yesterday after listening to this podcast and asked him the, “What kind of loans are you looking to finance” question! :) I felt empowered! :)
Thanks again Jimmy.

Shaun February 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Great podcast with a lot of information.
It is great when we get the perspective of an industry insider to really educate us on how things really work.
I’ll have to listen to this one a couple more times to make sure I caught all the points.

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 7:01 am

Thanks Shaun!

Andy Teasley February 2, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Jimmy,
I loved the podcast and you verified some things i had already belived about loan packages. My banking mentor told me a few weeks back that he had heard that the era of packaging your loan documents in a loose leaf binfer had passed and loan officers/committees wanted everything electronically now (IE on a thumb drive). What do you as a loan underwriter prefer? Could you give us your list of what it should contain as well?

Andy

Jimmy February 3, 2014 at 7:03 am

Andy

That is great to hear that you have a banking mentor!

As far as preference its usually different by bank.

I prefer electronic though…

Abbott Mary February 3, 2014 at 4:38 pm

GREAT episode guys! This really helped me get my mindset right about financing deals. Also TN investors ftw!!:)

Jimmy February 4, 2014 at 8:14 am

Thanks for the kind words!

Knoxville is a great market – I love what you guys are doing on the river front!

John K February 3, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Great podcast! The 5C’s will be valuable the next time I apply for a mortgage!

Joshua Dorkin February 3, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for listening, John!

Jimmy Moncrief February 4, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thanks John!

Lisa Phillips February 4, 2014 at 8:45 am

Thank you for this podcast. Not only did Josh and Brandon made me laugh completely through the entire show, but Jimmy opened my eyes to the potential of commercial lending. Thank you!

Jimmy Moncrief February 4, 2014 at 9:00 am

Thanks for the kind words Lisa!

Peivand Perez Atai February 4, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Great work Brandon and Josh and amazing Podcast Jimmy!

I’ve been listening to the 55 podcasts since a couple of months in a daily basis on my way to work. This one has been absolutely awesome (your word Brandon)

Inspired by the podcast and having presentations reade I have a question for Jimmy regarding presentations:

I’m making a presentation in order to get loans and have the following items. I’m missing the “what kind of loan i want”? I’ll appreciate any kind of help.

- Business Purpose:
Buy income properties and rent them. (i will start with 10 properties in Santiago, Chile)

I. Vision –
II. Mission
III. Objectives (5, 10, 20 years)

-PEST Analysis
-Porter Analysis
-SWOT Analysis
(all of these items backed up with pictures, making it very graphical)

5C:
Character
Capacity
Capital
Conditions
Collateral

-Societary Structure (how the LLC are structured)

-Different scenarios outcomes –> NPV Analysis with different scenarios (with dynamic graphics when outcome changes , ie: if vacancy declines or appreciation of rents versus aprreciation of the value of the property, how much more the LLC will be earning.

Again, great work guys!

Peivand Perez Atai

Joshua Dorkin February 4, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for listening and for the feedback, Peivand! If you get a sec, please do leave us feedback / ratings on iTunes — we’d really appreciate it! Otherwise, I’ll let Jimmy jump in on your questions now . . .

Jimmy February 5, 2014 at 9:11 am

Peivand

Thanks for the kind words! That is a great endorsement!

That is a heck of a question with: what kind of loan I want.

Since it appears to me you are looking to buy and hold – I would want long maturity loans.

A typical investment property loan is 5 and 20.

Meaning 5-year maturity with a payment structured for a 20 year amortization schedule.

You can increase your negotiating power for a lower interest rate if you agree to a shorter term.

Hope this helps!

Peivand Perez Atai February 5, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thanks for answering Jimmy,

Actually my strategy is cashflow, so i ´m looking for 30 year loans with fixed rate and negotiate 24 months of grace period. The idea is to refinance earlier (in 5th year beyond grace period i would have 8.34% equity) in order to get cash and reinvest.

The 30 year loan is pretty standard in my market (Chile) and grace period at least on bank mortgage simulators is 12 months, so if i can ask for 36 months and accept a counter offer of 24 would be great)

The shorter term and accumulating more equity faster goes aggainst the cash flow, because i can get a greater ROI from the property than accumalating equity to refinance. The idea is to have multiple properties and have the ability to expand.

I will be posting a thread on how does it go with the banks in a couple of months.

And now the question:
What is your experience in negotiating grace period, less downpayment and easier to refinance terms. I wouldn´t mind to pay more interest if the bank is giving me more grace period or less downpayment. Can you see if those types of request are been looked with good eyes from the lenders?

Peivand Perez Atai

Jimmy February 27, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Peivand

I would love for you to send me a private message on BiggerPockets.

Several of my friends who own property are about to start investing there next year.

I hear the government is very progressive now. One quick point on your financing strategy is to make sure you account for transaction costs.

You will save a lot of money if you just stick with the longer maturities and accumulate the cash-flow. That way you don’t have to worry about the bank refinancing it or not and you don’t have to worry about bad appraisers – like we do in the United States.

As for your question:

Those are great questions to ask your lender. I’ll give you some more:

“Can I have an interest only period for three months while the property gets leased?”

“Can I have a 100 basis point lower rate if I choose a completely floating rate?”

Darlene February 5, 2014 at 6:08 am

Today is my first time listening to your podcast and looking to enter into REI. I enjoyed your show immensely. I even got a chuckle from the Detroit comment because I am from Detroit. It is true there are properties to invest in but being a newbie I need more guarantees for my investment. I am going to go back to listen to all your podcasts and check out the blog. Thanks so much , I’ll check in again soon.

Joshua Dorkin February 5, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks for listening to the show, Darlene!

Jimmy February 5, 2014 at 10:47 am

Darlene

Thanks for the kind words!

An analyst that used to work for me just bought a condo on the river in Detroit.

Like all cities I believe there are probably good areas and not-so-good areas.

Have a great day!

Sara Cunningham February 6, 2014 at 2:47 am

Jimmy this was a fabulous podcast. Josh and Brandon thanks for having the foresight to put this together. I loved Jimmy’s thought process of asking the bank what’s in it for me (WIFM). I have a long sales background and you are so right, you need to make the banker tell you the reason why you should give them your business. After all a loan officer is just another sales person!

You gave us so many good points to think about, but here is my question. To date I have worked with a Community bank in Oklahoma and currently have a portfolio loan, an interest only revolving loan, a line of credit and am in the process of closing a 15 year fixed interest loan on a property. I am wanting to expand into Maryland, Delaware since I have family there. Due to business with the current bank I am very organized and have tax returns, profit/loss net worth etc readily accessible. Because they are a local bank they will not lend money or let me use the credit I have available to expand. I currently live in Italy, therefore I can’t use your tip about approaching 2 Community banks, 2 Credit Unions etc on a weekly basis. I have touched base with a mortgage broker in Delaware. Should I just call the banks or would it be better to use a broker? I will be making a trip back at the end of April for 2 to 3 weeks, when I hope to purchase another property in Oklahoma and my first property in Delaware. I think I need to have my financing in place before I arrive, what do you think? I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Jimmy February 6, 2014 at 7:30 am

Sara

Awesome question.

I would actually try and get recommendations for your local community banks while your in Italy.

This way you can at least converse with them via email and can hit the ground running acquiring properties when you come back.

Hope this helps!

Sara Cunningham February 7, 2014 at 10:44 am

Thanks for the input. I will proceed as you suggested.

Luis February 7, 2014 at 10:51 am

Jimmy great insight on this interview, awesome tips for a start up investor like me to start thinking about. Best wishes!

-Luis Felipe

Cheng February 9, 2014 at 9:41 am

Jimmy- great show, a lot of good tips. Questions to you:
1) You briefly touched on 15-year fix vs. 30-year fix in the show. I am in favor of 15-year fix because of amortization; now I am thinking about 30-year fix because my debt-to-income ratio goes up too quickly with 15-year fix. Can you comment on that? Should I use 30-year fix going forward in order to bring on more properties?

2) We all know, one person’s credit can get up to 4 loans. A lot of people mentioned one can go beyond 4 and really get 10. Can you explain how one should accomplish that jump?
Thank you!

Michael Dorovich February 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Jimmy, very high quality podcast! You (and Josh and Brandon) are raising the bar for all of us.

Two questions:

1) To borrow lets say $100k, what would be a typical amount you would need in an investment account to pledge as collateral for the loan? Would it be $20k- $30k?

2) Also, you mentioned that some commercial HUD loans are available with
35 year amortization, 3.5% interest rates, and 5% down. Typically what is the term or length of these loans?

Thank you!

Lamar Cannon February 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm

The 5C’s are great! Thank you!

Jimmy February 27, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Lamar!

How do you plan on using it?

Dustin Patterson February 26, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Great podcast! I am working with a commercial borker looking at self-storage properties at the moment. I need to start talking with lenders to get an idea of what they are looking for, but I would also like to get a head start on a presentation for them. Is there an example presentation anywhere on BiggerPockets?? Maybe someone could post one (private data masked) in the FilePlace?

Jimmy February 27, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Dustin

Thanks for the kind words!

One big thing with self-storage units to watch out for: A lot of brokers are going to pitch you and say: “This property is 90% occupied”

here’s the thing – GET THE TAX RETURNS!!!!

IF YOU CAN’T GET THEM, DO NOT DO THE DEAL!

Self-Storage units are notorious for being 90% occupied but only 10% paying…

Working on the presentation now… cc @joshdorkin

Elizabeth Blazina March 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Jimmy this was a fabulous podcast. Josh and Brandon thanks for having this…much needed.
Jimmy here is my question. To date I have three rentals, one owned outright with a Heloc paying 4.99% interest only. One with a local community bank ,30 yr at 4.126% and one with a national bank 30 yr at 3.75% All have good rates, and cash flow. However on my books I have shown losses as I deduct many things. So I am uncerain how this will weigh in on my discussion with the banks. We have excellent credit, decent income, but our debt to income ratio is getting close to max. My goal at this time is to fix-n-flip to generate more cash to purchase holds . Is there a certain type of loan I should be looking for. And what would you recommend is the best way to present our assets to a potential lender.
Thanks again to all of you