by Brandon Turner on February 16, 2014 · 31 comments

Post image for Newbies: These 11 Words Will Give You All The Motivation You’ll Ever Need to Get Started…

“A year from now, you will wish you had started today.”

That’s it.

Those eleven words should be enough to rock you into action.

Did they?

You don’t need a guy on stage telling you about the millions you will make. You don’t need the informercial with the shiny red convertible and the pretty ladies.  You don’t need another book, another course, another mentor.

You need to get off the couch and do something.

After all, a year from now, you’ll wish you’d started today. (Yes, go ahead and Tweet That.)

Let’s look at this another way…

Think back on your life one year ago.

What if you had started then?

• What if you had made the decision then – to get off your couch and stop sitting on your fear… and actually start making progress?
  • What if you had started setting aside more cash then?
  • What if you written down your goals… and then started working on them then?
  • What if you had started talking with other investors, entrepreneurs, and industry insiders and building those relationships then?

Look, I’m not one for a lot of motivational posts; look back on my previous blog posts and you’ll see I’m all about actionable tips and advice.

However, I do believe motivation is important. It’s very important because without it, it’s hard to produce results.

Motivation should lead to action, and action to results. (yes, you should probably also Tweet That.)

If your motivation is just leading to excitement which leads to more motivation which leads to more excitement… it’s worthless.

Garbage.

You are caught in a cycle of perpetual motivation, which leads to disappointment and discouragement.

Stop that. Right now.

Get out there and make something happen. Today. In the next five minutes.

If you are struggling to know what that first step should be, read this.

If you feel stuck… head over to the BiggerPockets Forums and start asking questions.  After all, when you get your car stuck in the snow… what’s the best way to get it out?

I’ll give you a hint… it’s not by spinning your tires. It’s by asking for help from others to push you out. Get some momentum from their push, find your traction, and race off into the sunset.

Don’t spin your wheels and sit there on your couch thinking of how great it would be “if only.”

That was last year. This is today.

If you don’t start now, you never will. There is no one else to blame, there is no one else to wait for. It’s all you – and your future self is waiting for you to pull the trigger.

After all…

A year from now you will wish you had started today.

(Thoughts? Leave me your  2 cents below in the comments, and click the little share buttons below to share this post on your favorite social media channel!)

Also – feel free to share the image below on your Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, G+, or LinkedIn!

A Year From Now

LaKesha Raynor February 16, 2014 at 8:49 am

This was an excellent post Brandon. Last year, I was all about reading the posts, subscribing to the newsletter, making colleagues requests, writing comments, reading the book. It didn’t take long for my determination to end up just me spinning my wheels. Why? I never took action! I was in a perpetual state of research. This year, I don’t want to look back wishing I had started.

Thanks again for the motivational words! Like Nike says, we need to Just Do It!

Brandon Turner February 16, 2014 at 9:12 am

Thanks LaKesha! Yeah, I know I’ve been there more times than I’d like to admit!

chuck wilson February 16, 2014 at 8:49 am

shoulda coulda woulda, how many times I hear stories about “wish I would have bought that house when it was only…………
I am old guy so.. should have bought new condo in Marina Del Rey Calif. for (get this) $80,000
should have bought the Victorian in Haight Ashbury San Francisco ( fixer upper $45,000)
should have bought 6 unit apt in West Los Angeles $165,000.
Now I finally did pull the trigger in 2000 and started buying and it was very nerve racking not warm and fuzzy at first, but it gets better.
“Nothing ventured nothing gained” get out of your comfort zone and go for it !!!!!!

Brandon Turner February 16, 2014 at 9:13 am

Awesome Chuck! Thanks for the great comment, even from an “old guy” :) Haha!

Greg Miller February 16, 2014 at 9:15 am

You couldn’t be more right Brandon! Less than one year ago, my wife and I started with our first flip. Now we own two triplexes, two more flips and just closed on three of eleven lots to build 11-SFHs. Just get started now -do something and learn, then do something again. Right on Brandon, right on man!

Brandon Turner February 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Hey Greg, Awesome! Man, you are on fire! I hope you are sharing your stories in the Success Story forum here on BP – people need to hear that stuff! Rock on!

Brad Boone February 16, 2014 at 10:03 am

Grew up listening to my dad saying he COULD have bought this house that house and I said at age twenty that would not be me, now control over 60 units. Go do something!

Brandon Turner February 16, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Same here Brad! Awesome!

Sharon Vornholt February 16, 2014 at 11:47 am

Brandon –

That is some of the best advice folks can get. Taking those first steps whether they are learning steps or action steps; just do something. Just don’t get stuck in the “learning stage” forever.

Sharon

Shawn February 16, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Great post, Brandon! We should close in about 3 weeks on a 4-unit property that is our first. I feel exactly the way you described in your article. I was just thinking about this the other day. If I had bought a multi-unit property back in 2000 when I bought my first single-family home, I would be well on the way to having a decent rental portfolio!

You said it, stop thinking about it and just do it!

Mike Wolf February 16, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Great words of wisdom. So many people never take action and they cost themselves a lot of time and money!

Roy Williamson February 16, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Heck yeah. I had my first SFH rental for over a year. Gonna flip that sucker (pending now) and buy 2 more houses. Then I’m selling my personal residence (has a ton of equity) and buy more property! I can buy using VA so I can get another personal residence with no money down (thanks Uncle Sam) . A year ago my close friend convinced me to make my personal residence a rental. It was the best decision I’ve ever made.

Ronnie Duran February 17, 2014 at 6:59 am

Using VA, in planning to buy a 4 plex, live in one unit rent other 3 units let them pay my loan.

Jerry Kaidor February 16, 2014 at 3:01 pm

My wife dragged me into apartments, kicking & screaming, back around 1996. She perceived that we were paying too much taxes. “But people are making 10% in mutual funds, and nobody calls them about upchucking toilets!” She prevailed, and that first fourplex grew into an 8-plex, then a 52-unit complex, then another 20 unit complex…. So now we own 81 units. Haven’t worked for the Man for 11 years. Haven’t paid a dime in income tax, either.

Another guy I know started around the same time. He was more active than me. He parlayed his initial small units into 600 units, which he traded for a major shopping complex, giving him cash flow of…. well, let’s just say my eyes boggled when I heard the number.

Lenny Longo February 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Terrific article as usual Brandon! How true! Action is key to success!

Jessica February 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Great article, I keep saying to my husband “wish we had started 10 years ago” when he was toying with the idea but never took the jump because we just didn’t think it was possible. Wish we had this site back then to have kicked us off the cliff and let us know “you CAN do this”…oh well can’t weep over the past, we are making it happen now and that is all that matters! Onward!

Olivia February 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Okay, I will. Right now, I’m starting. Thank you!

Joel February 16, 2014 at 4:13 pm

In 2 years from now invest 2 million to get a pre-tax 20% coc return of 400k annually. Within 10 years from now achieve 1,000,000 in cash flow and net worth of 10 million.

I know goals are big but it’s better to set big and go farther than you could have imagined then be too safe and small and hit a number and full yourself that you have reached your ultimate potential. Many people do that and sell themselves short for fear of failure by setting safe goals they know they can obtain.

Marcus Maloney February 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Brandon,

Great post, it takes one little thing to get started and that’s action. Thanks for inspiring those that are on the fence “MOVE”.

Kurt Knapp February 17, 2014 at 6:28 am

I bought my first property 1 year and 10 days ago… and I can say, I’m glad I started then.

During the whole process of buying the property (inspections, closing, etc) everyone I ran into said how smart (and lucky?) I am to be starting so young (age 28 then).

When you have unanimous feedback of the sort coming from people that don’t really have a vested interest in me signing the final dotted line… it only reinforced what I was doing. The great experience of ownership the past year further reinforces my initial goal to own a few more.

To sum up… I’m glad those 11 words aren’t haunting me today, because I took action.

Great post Brandon!

Jonna Weber February 17, 2014 at 8:50 am

Love this! Exactly a year ago I was starting to consider the possibility of transitioning from a teaching career to full time real estate. Thanks in part to BP, I made the leap last Summer and haven’t looked back. Keep moving forward! For me, action is the best way to combat the fears that come with major leaps in life.

karen February 17, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I totally agree Brandon! Just do it! My friends and family were nothing but skeptical … but I simply put my head down, and quietly went about creating my own safety plan through real estate investing. Put one foot in front of the other… You’ll never look back. Trust your own judgement when you thoroughly examine every deal. This is not rocket science! If it makes sense to you … make the deal! if you miss out on 1 deal, another one will come along.

Jorge Caicedo February 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm

AMEN!

Lisa February 17, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Brandon! While I still have too many questions, I am taking action and am surrounding myself with successful like minded professionals. I once saw a sign on a bungee jumping platform that read, “Jump, or be pushed”. I wasted years working for someone else, getting them raises and promotions, when I really wanted to be in Real Estate. Now I am following my passion and Action is my middle name. So far, I have learned $250. in lessons by acting quickly, but I won’t make Those mistakes again.
Thanks again for the Push.

ziad abdelnour February 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

nice collection,
“One of the hardest decisions you’ll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.”

Ken Huston II February 18, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Great article. We all need motivation at some point. My story so far goes like this. Thirteen months ago I purchased a duplex on a ten year land contract with a local wholesaler. Less than nine years left and the tenants will have it paid off for me with a little cash in my pocket each month. Yesterday I closed on a $50,000. fourplex, ten year land contract with private owner with only five percent down. Owner wanted ten so the realtor kicked in a concession on his comish, nice guy,and rents applied. So now I am really feeling that ” retiring ” is in my near future as I am only 44 years young. The best learning is doing!

Josh Stetson February 20, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Well said. I might write that on a note above my monitors. Although it’s important to always continue learning, perpetual learning is such an easy excuse for inaction because you can tell yourself you are doing something constructive towards your goals, but in reality you’re just stalling.

Shaun February 21, 2014 at 11:06 am

It is like that old saying :
Don’t wait to buy real estate, buy real estate and wait.

Long term holds are a very forgiving asset over a long time.
Best to get in sooner rather than later. You obviously can’t buy any piece god garbage but even if it turns out to not be great in 15 years you will still look like a genius.

Marty February 23, 2014 at 4:52 am

A great comment.

I started my investing journey in 2002, and wish that I had started in 2001 or 2000….

I have read various articles on the power of compound interest and realise that the benefit of starting a year earlier isn’t the growth in year one, but the growth in the last year, so £10,000 invested at 5% equals £26,532 after 20 years, but if you had started one year earlier it would be worth £27,859. So starting a year earlier has benefitted you by £1,327! (starting two years earlier would have made the value at the end £29,252).

Good luck on your journey

FI UK

Martin Zawarski March 2, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I just have to make up for lost time now, I guess. Brandon, I work seven days a week because I love this business. Everyday it’s something different something new. I totally enjoy this site and all the help and knowledge that is here.

Maureen McCann March 17, 2014 at 2:59 am

Brandon,

Those 11 words are powerful and have motivated me to visualize my life 1 year, 5 year and 10 years from now. I have waited long enough to step into my greatness and your words resonated with me tonight. The timing is right for me to take the next steps to get me to my vision and your words jumpstarted my enthusiasm. Thank you for taking the time to eloquently write such a bold statement. My time is NOW.

You inspired me. Thank you!