10 Of The Strangest (And Coolest) Houses You’ve Ever Seen

by Seth Williams on February 28, 2014 · 26 comments

Strange Houses

Some architects don’t like to draw inside the lines and some homeowners don’t like to live like everyone else. Have you ever gotten bored with the same old “cookie-cutter” designs that home builders have been using for centuries on end?

If you’ve ever wanted to try something different with your next home or building project, perhaps these unique houses around the world will offer you some inspiration (and good luck getting approval from your Home Owners Association)…

Related: 20 Of The Weirdest Things Documented During Property Inspections (Some Of These Will Blow Your Mind, Especially #2)

1. Tiny House, United States

TinyHouse1

TinyHouse6

tinyhouse2

TinyHouse5

Source: tumbleweedhouses.com

2. Transparent House, Japan

transparenthouse1

transparenthouse2

transparenthouse3

transparenthouse4

Source: sou-fujimoto.net (via boredpanda.com)

3. Skinny House, Poland

skinnyhouse1

skinnyhouse2

skinnyhouse3

skinnyhouse4

Source: domkereta.pl (via boredpanda.com)

4. Flintstones House, United States

Source: theownerbuildernetwork.co

9. School Bus / Mobile Home, United States

BusHouse1

BusHouse2

BusHouse3

BusHouse4

Source: hankboughtabus.com | Photos: Justin Evidon (via)

10. Vintage Boeing 727, Costa Rica

7271

7272

7273

7274

Source: tripadvisor.com

mark ferguson February 28, 2014 at 9:13 am

Awesome! I love the Simpson house.
I saw a house two years ago that was on a lake with four acres. The house was built in the 1960s just like a castle. Had huge wooden doors, stone walls, iron gates, massive rooms and tall ceilings. It also had a huge indoor pool with 30 foot tall ceilings. The kicker was the home was an REO and had been neglected for years. The roofs were all leaking including the pool roof which made the home feel like a rain Forrest as water constantly dripped into the pool from about 50 different places. The rest of the home was the same way and completely destroyed.

Seth Williams March 2, 2014 at 9:25 am

It’s amazing how many unique, unusual and interesting houses are out there, isn’t it Mark? Sometimes I wish I had the time to explore this kind of thing in more detail… seems like it would be a lot of fun.

Reid Kane March 2, 2014 at 9:33 am

Sounds terrific..I hope you at least made an offer on it….still available I wonder?….hmmm

Sharon Tzib February 28, 2014 at 10:11 am

I don’t get the transparent house at all (I hope the bathroom is at least private haha), but I LOVE the seashell house – so neat! In regards to your first house, this is a great blog for people who like tiny houses – http://tinyhouseblog.com/. The author travels the world and looks for tiny houses – kind of cool!

Seth Williams March 2, 2014 at 9:24 am

I’m with you Sharon – I didn’t get the transparent one either… but it is certainly unique.

Btw, that tiny house blog is awesome! I’ll have to spend some more time looking through that one!

Brandon Turner February 28, 2014 at 10:38 am

Awesome post, Seth! I like the Cat House… :)

Seth Williams March 2, 2014 at 9:21 am

Thanks Brandon, I was hoping you’d notice that one. :)

Lindsay Wilcox February 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I want to know how they made the trap door in #3. I’m looking to do something similar for my basement and can’t seem to find decent DIY instructions anywhere!

Seth Williams March 2, 2014 at 9:22 am

I hadn’t even noticed that little feature Lindsay, good eye! If I ever figure it out, I’ll let you know (but don’t hold your breath, I’m not much of a DIY guy).

Jaz Cook March 1, 2014 at 9:26 am

There’s some very cool luxury homes in La Jolla, but I’ve got to admit, nothing quite like these. Love the Cat Heaven!

Seth Williams March 2, 2014 at 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing Jaz – I’ll have to take a drive through La Jolla next time I’m in that part of the country!

Paul Francis March 2, 2014 at 11:02 am

I’ll take the Flintstone House… views from the Family Room look spectacular. We’ve got a 16,936 square foot house here in Las Vegas that’s 26 ft. underground home built for a nuclear holocaust that comes with a pool/spa and BBQ. Bank owned and listed for $1,400,000… recently went under contract. Quite interesting..

Seth Williams March 3, 2014 at 6:32 am

Nice. Something tells me I’d take a nuclear holocaust facility over a Flintstones house… but I guess it’s all just personal preference. :)

Paul Francis March 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Just realized that the Flintstones House is the Former Dick Clark’s Malibu home that sits on 23 acres… If there’s a Nuclear Holocaust, might as well go out watching the sunset than living underground for years going nuts.

Al Williamson March 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Seth,
You made my day. Thanks for putting this together.

Seth Williams March 3, 2014 at 6:33 am

No problem Al, thanks for checking it out!

Levi Pollard March 3, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Its amazing how many unique houses are out there. I definitely prefer the variety over most of the cookie cutter houses you see going up now days.
Thanks for the article!

Seth Williams March 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for checking out this post Levi – I’m glad you liked it!

Mike Nelson March 5, 2014 at 5:17 pm

This was really fun! Thanks for posting it, Seth. The skinny house was really something.

Seth Williams March 6, 2014 at 10:26 am

Thanks Mike! If you ever get one of these under contract, let me know – maybe you can wholesale it to me. :)

Frank Iglesias March 6, 2014 at 11:35 am

This is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Seth Williams March 9, 2014 at 7:56 pm

No problem Frank, thanks for checking it out!

Paul Francis March 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Just realized that the Flintstone house is the late Dick Clark’s Malibu pad… and comes with 23 acres.

I’ll definitely take the Flintstone house..

Seth Williams March 9, 2014 at 7:58 pm

That’s right Paul, good catch, I’m impressed you caught that! Thanks for checking out the post. :)

Marianne Ganzenmuller March 10, 2014 at 8:00 am

I love this article. The homes show real imagination. I especially like the small home – it would be perfect for my niece.

Seth Williams March 13, 2014 at 10:52 am

Thanks for checking out the blog post Marianne – I’m glad you liked it! I think the small house is my favorite one too… seems like they took the quality-over-quantity approach.