5 Bedroom Designs Even I Couldn’t Think Up

by Michael LaCava on March 9, 2014 · 12 comments

Unique Bedroom Designs

The great folks I flip houses with understand that I’m a bit of a dreamer. When I walk through a house before renovations begin, I like to envision what the finished product is going to look like.

Most of my creative juices get used up in the design of the kitchen and bathroom. I will be the first to admit that the bedrooms are sometimes overlooked. In many instances a bedroom is just another plain old room with a door, closet and  a window or two.

And I feel that’s just not fair…

So today I wanted to share with you 5 bedroom designs that blew my socks off. These designs are breathtaking, creative and one of a kind – especially #5 which I can’t stop looking at.

How do you feel you could incorporate a feature of these bedroom designs into your next renovation?

Let me know by leaving a comment below!

Related: 50 Shades of PAID: Adding More Passion to Your Fix N Flips Through Staging and Design

#1 | Island Bedroom, France

Takeaway – I may not be able to pull off an “open to the elements” bedroom design like this one here in chilly New England, but I can certainly utilize the theme to help create a charming, ocean side feeling to any houses I flip along the New England coastline.

#1 island bedroom France

#2 | Underwater Bedroom, Maldives

Takeaway – This bedroom is the epitome of allowing in nature. We can create a similar (and much simpler!) effect by creatively using windows that fill the room with natural light. Nobody wants to sleep in a dark little nook.

#2 underwater bedroom Maldives

#3 | Holy Closet, Farnham Royal

Takeaway – People have a lot of “stuff” here in the United States and they want some place nice to put it. Floor-to-ceiling glass fronted showcases solely for shoes may not be in my budget, but I never underestimate the importance of good closet space.

#3 Holy Closet Farnham Royale

#4 | The Power Of Brick

Takeway – Instead of tearing it down, how could you take advantage of character that is already present in the house, like an old brick wall?

#4 The Power Of Brick

#5 | What A View, Hamilton Island

Takeaway – It doesn’t get much better than waking up to a view like the one in the above photo. Lets face it, most of the houses we flip are not going to have incredible views. Nevertheless, I feel it’s important to look at the landscape around the house-how can you make the most of the view you do have?

#5 What A View Hamilton Island

Levi Pollard March 10, 2014 at 11:18 am

I strongly agree.
The bedrooms are often left as hollow shells compared to the bathrooms and kitchens. We have not sold a house yet but we have designed our personal residence using ambient lighting, floor to ceiling storage, floor length curtains, and art arrangements. All elements work together to maximize space and set a warm inviting atmosphere.
We have set up several houses for friends as well and have found a lot of inspiration from IKEA. So far the houses that we have done this to are small. Ours is a 3br/1b just under 1000 square feet. Making the house feel bigger than it is can be a fun challenge tho.

Thanks for the post!
Levi

Michael March 14, 2014 at 11:06 am

Sounds like you do more than most Levi.
Thanks for sharing those great ideas. Most people think they use small scale items in small spaces when it is the opposite. for instance we put large floor tiles in small spaces which gives the allusion of a larger floor and space. You know this but most think they have to go with a small scale tile. Are you doing staging for others?

Levi Pollard March 14, 2014 at 2:21 pm

We have helped about 4 people stage their houses. We will be staging our house this summer. Hopefully moving to a more vibrant real estate market. I think the way the house is staged goes a long way toward getting what you want out of the house. If the person walks into empty rooms they cant see their dream as well as if they walk in and see their dream set up.

Michael March 14, 2014 at 3:17 pm

You are absolutely right Levi. Especially if the house is small and the same on larger homes because most people don’t have vision so you have to create that for them.
How do you get your furniture and accessories? Do you own or rent from rent- a-centers or use higher end furniture design stores. We have done it a couple of different ways to hiring a designer to doing it in house.

Frank Iglesias March 10, 2014 at 11:45 am

I love the ideas!

Michael March 14, 2014 at 11:06 am

Pretty cool stuff Frank.

William H March 10, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Lighting and built-ins for me!
I love that brick. Am waiting for a whole wall someday.
It has to be somewhat neutral but capture the renter’s imagination. Agreed, there’s no reason creativity should be left in the kitchen.

Michael March 14, 2014 at 11:08 am

We started doing under-mount lighting in some of kitchens on the higher end homes William. What a difference!

William H March 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

Us too. Our favorite kitchen space right now has halogen pucks below and uplights above. (Well, you know how it is. One of our favorites.) It has amazing light during the day and we wanted to continue that. What we got was sparkle-and comments!

Michael March 14, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Very nice. Nothing like great comments after your hard work!!!

Ralph March 14, 2014 at 9:30 am

I gotta get that bedroom like the one in Maldives Mike! Nice post for ideas for my next flip lol

Michael March 14, 2014 at 11:09 am

All I can say if I built a closet like that for my wife it would make her very Happy. LOL.