BP Podcast 069: Getting Your First Deal, Quitting Your Job, and Successful Marketing with Brandon Krieg

by Brandon Turner on May 8, 2014 · 25 comments

Podcast 69 Krieg

On today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down and chat with a real estate investor who is a successful wholesaler and rehabber out of the Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

Brandon Krieg shares his insights on how he transitioned out of a full-time job to become a full time real estate investor and shares some incredible insight for others who are thinking about making the leap themselves. During the show, Brandon speaks on the importance of integrity in business and the priority of taking care of family and then continues on to shed light on his innovative marketing tactics, that has him averaging a 15-25% response rate with direct mail!

Whether you are a new investor struggling to figure out how to generate deal flow or struggling with making the transition from part-time real estate to full-time or you’ve been investing for years and need some marketing tips to take you to the next level, this is the show for you.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

In This Show, We Cover:

• How to transition from a full time job you hate to full time real estate
  • How to find good wholesalers
  • The keys you need to succeed at wholesaling
  • How Brandon uses direct mail with an  15-25% response rate
  • How to ethically use bandit signs
  • How Brandon used BiggerPockets to grow his network
  • Who Brandon uses for his direct mail success
  • How many deals should you do before jumping into real estate full time?
  • How to handle leads outside your comfort zone
  • How important are business systems?
  • And a lot more!

Books Mentioned in the Show

Tweetable Topics

“If I quit real estate when it gets tough, I lose my chance of gaining success from it.” (Tweet This!)

“Ask yourself, “If this client was my sister, my cousin or my uncle, how would I help them?” (Tweet This!)

“The greatest moments of growth in my life have always been sparked by great books.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Brandon

Giovanni May 8, 2014 at 11:13 am

The first tweetable topic has an extra e on the end of quit (as in “If I quit real estate…”) and while it’s quite understandable it’s not quite accurate :)

Brandon Krieg May 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

Of course, the corrected version is:

“If I quit real estate when it gets tough, I lose my chance of gaining success from it.” Thanks for the correction… the last thing we need is more misspelled tweets!

Josh May 9, 2014 at 1:44 pm

They were obnoxious to you Brandon…hideously arrogant etc…no lie.

Keysha W. May 8, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Great podcast today guys! Really enjoyed hearing the perspective of someone who is pretty new in the REI game. It’ll be great following your journey as you grow and gain experience. Please keep us posted. This was right on time for me as I’m a newbie as well. Brandon K., it’s pretty awesome that you were willing to give out your email address on air! You’re a really brave man ;-)

Joshua Dorkin May 8, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for listening and for leaving your first comment here on the blog, Keysha!

Brandon Krieg May 9, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Hi Keysha,

Thanks! I will be sure to keep in touch. It is a big challenge getting going and keeping going through the early stages – hopefully I helped a little bit to keep things going for you!

And I’m happy to help people… I’ve gotten a lot of emails so far (which is awesome), but I’ll try to help as many people as I can, like always. Thanks for your support!

Mark Fischer May 9, 2014 at 7:18 am

The first tweetable topic has another spelling mistake: “I loose my chance of gaining success from it” should be “I lose my chance of gaining success from it”. We wouldn’t want you to be loose with spelling and lose Twitter followers!

Brandon Turner Brandon Turner May 9, 2014 at 9:15 am

Oops! Thanks so much Mark, didn’t see that one! Fixed now :)

Scott Smull May 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Brandon,
Great pod cast !
I currently have 8 single family homes in the Philly area. I would LOVE to branch out specifically into mobile homes which are more predominant in the NJ area where I live. Any pointers you can offer to get started?

Thankx,
Scott Smull

Brandon Krieg May 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hi Scott,

Whether you want to just wholesale some mobile homes as I have, or jump into it more fully, I’d suggest the same first step… find someone who’s already good with mobile homes! This can be someone in your target market or someone elsewhere, but just hooking up with a knowledgeable person will really move you along.

If you’d like to just pass the deals on, I’d say just find some good partners in your area. Then, develop relationships with them so you can work together to make a good profit.

But if you want to dig in, jump in here to the BP forums and find someone who specializes in mobile homes… I know there are several good people here. Good luck!!

Kevin Cook May 9, 2014 at 7:57 pm

What’s up, fellas? Thanks for the insight on your journey. I always enjoy these podcasts and look forward to the next one. Keep up the great work. I am VERY THANKFUL you mentioned keeping your family’s needs a priority when figuring how to handle a transition to full time investing. I have an amazing, supportive wife and six amazing kiddos. While I can’t wait to be where you are, I certainly understand that it takes a honkin’ funnel to get where you are. Kudos to your efforts… all the very best!

Brandon Krieg May 12, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks!! Family is my top priority, and I think it’s incredibly important to make sure they are taken care of first. Freedom is fantastic, but not at the expense of the people we love most. Thank you for listening!

Dawn Anastasi May 10, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Clarification: I do not currently play Dungeons and Dragons but I have tried it. However I love board games! Also I love reading and Game of Thrones.

Brandon Krieg May 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Dawn,

It sounds like we’re two peas from the same pod. It’s all fun stuff!

Aaron May 11, 2014 at 2:49 pm

When dealing with bad smells, if the property has popcorn ceilings, you should remove that as well. As long has it hasn’t been painted, your contractor just sprays water on it and scrapes it off. Total cost runs me about $1 sq/ft.

Brandon Krieg May 12, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Good tip Aaron.

What markets are you in? Would you say that’s pretty standard per square foot? Because cleaning everything in a smelly house is no picnic, and that’s not a bad rate…

Kevin May 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

To clean up from smokers, scrubbing the walls with TSP (Trisodium phosphate) does the trick every time. Its available at hardware stores and super inexpensive.

Brandon Krieg May 14, 2014 at 11:22 am

I second that Kevin. TSP is amazing.

brad chandler May 21, 2014 at 8:28 pm

The best thing to do for smoke smell is to use a commercial grade ionizer for 24-48 hours.

Brandy Cook May 15, 2014 at 9:58 am

Great podcast! This is the first one I have heard since joining biggerpockets. Very informative! Thanks so much for all of the great information.

Joshua Dorkin May 15, 2014 at 10:05 am

Thanks for listening, Brandy. I definitely recommend you go through the archives and listen to the rest of the shows . . . there’s 69 additional amazing shows to learn from. http://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

Taylor Jennings May 15, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Earl Nightingale! He was the spark to my obsession with personal development about a year ago.

Great podcast.

Brandon Krieg May 19, 2014 at 8:04 am

Thanks Taylor! I agree, Earl is a pro. Thanks for listening!

Eric Alexander August 14, 2014 at 9:07 am

What is the name of the Guy who does the Handwritting fonts Direct Mailer letters. Jerry something. can I get his contact information?

joe October 3, 2014 at 12:45 am

Just getting to this podcast. I think Brandon K is really a great investor. Just seems like a shady car salesman who decided to become a re investor It kind of a bad taste in your mouth when he ripoff that very first deal.