BP Podcast 080: Smart Rental Property Investing, Getting Your License, and Investing For Retirement with Jonna Weber

by Brandon Turner on July 24, 2014 · 24 comments

Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast we are excited to sit down with a Jonna Weber, a buy-and-hold investor and real estate agent out of the Boise, ID area.

Jonna is a great example of how anybody can and should invest in real estate! In our conversation, we cover a lot of ground on how to use real estate for retirement and why real estate is a better avenue than the stock market. We also cover why an investor might want to become a real estate agent, how to find investor-friendly agents, what to look for when purchasing an investment property and much much more!

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

In This Show We Cover…

• How anyone can invest in real estateBiggerPockets-Podcast-Cover
  • Why would an investor become an agent in the first place?
  • The importance of running the numbers with someone else
  • Why investors are the best clients for an agent to have
  • The hardest part of being a landlord
  • How to get longer leases out of your tenants
  • How to use BiggerPockets as a resource to manage your own properties
  • Creating an “in-house” property management company for only your own properties
  • Financing how-to’s
  • Using cash flow to build cash reserves
  • Real estate vs. the stock market
  • Investing in real estate for retirement
  • How to be safe as an investor and agent
  • What to check for during your due diligence process
  • On market deals vs. off market deals
  • How to find an investor-friendly agent
  • And a TON more!

Links Mentioned in the Show:

Books Mentioned in the Show:

Tweetable Topics:

“Managing your own properties is short term pain for a long term goal.” (Tweet This!)

“It’s not an emergency unless it’s ACTUALLY an emergency.” (Tweet This!)

“If you can run your numbers with someone else, it will help you avoid the shinny object syndrome.” (Tweet This!)

Connect with Jonna:

Jameen Adams July 24, 2014 at 10:35 am

Hi BP world! Podcast 80 stole my heart from the title alone! Jonna’s story parallels my real estate plan exactly, I cannot wait to read more and possibly connect with Jonna in BP land.

Jonna Weber July 24, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Thank you so much Jameen! I enjoyed sharing and I look forward to hearing more about your story. As you can tell from the podcast, we buy and hold investors tend to keep it simple, but with our eye on the prize!

Dave July 24, 2014 at 11:17 am

Great podcast Jonna, sounds like we have a lot in common. We started small too and (still have) one property that is negative cash flow – but this one is for the greater good of family;-)

I will be encouraging my wife & business partner to listen to this one as she is considering getting her RE license as well, so it will be interesting to know her reaction once she listens to this podcast.

I hope you have a successful and prosperous future!

Jonna Weber July 24, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Dave, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to have your wife reach out to me about getting her license…depending on your situation, it could be a great thing!
I look forward to seeing you around BP!

Lance Johnson July 24, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Greeting from San Francisco! Thanks for a great episode, even if you did give my city a pretty good thrashing this time around. I love learning about elegant strategies, but it’s nice to have episodes like this that still highlight the success that people are having with “simpler” strategies.

Jonna Weber July 25, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for the feedback, Lance! Yes – keeping it simple could sum up our strategy. It works great for us and our lifestyle at this point. BTW, I think San Francisco is beautiful. :)

mark brogan July 25, 2014 at 5:13 am

thanks jonna for all the great info
sounds like you and your husband are on your to much success

thanks again
mark

Jonna Weber July 25, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Appreciate it, Mark! I look forward to seeing you around the BP site.

Greg Tregre July 25, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Joanna, thanks for the inspiration. With such a wealth of information on the BP forums, it is easy to get caught in information overload on all kinds of investment strategies. It was great to hear a simple, conservative and successful approach to REI. Best of Luck!

Greg

Greg Tregre July 25, 2014 at 6:33 pm

My apologies for misspelling you name Jonna. My fingers moved faster than my brain.

Greg

Jonna Weber July 25, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Thanks Greg! No worries on the spelling…I answer to about all “J” names with my unusual name!

Brett Synicky July 26, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Hi Jonna,

First off, one of the better shows to date as your whole concept really hit home. So thank you for that. That being said I have a couple questions. I’m a recently licensed agent yet to make a decision on a brokerage. I want to work with investors mainly as well as use the license to increase my own buy and hold portfolio. I love the idea of repeat business from investors. But I’m stuck on analysis on this brokerage decision. I don’t have a ton of money to throw at this, I drive an older car just like you and your husband but I’m determined to get started one way or another.

Would you work for a big time brokerage like a Keller-Williams (lots of training, less commission in my pocket) or go with a small time firm that has little to no formal training but lets you keep much more of your commissions?

Thanks again!

Jonna Weber July 27, 2014 at 11:00 am

Hi Brett! Congrats on getting the license. Choosing a brokerage was a challenge for me as well. I ultimately settled at a wonderful large local brokerage (not a franchise) that supports all types of agents and levels of involvement. The biggest factor for me was that I already knew and respected a top agent at the brokerage, who has served as a mentor of sorts in learning the ropes. I would say that is the biggest factor…if you can tie into someone and learn from them. Offer to shadow them and help with some transactions and home showings. I woudn’t worry if they aren’t an investor agent – they just need to be good at closing transactions and have attention to detail. It is important to learn is the ins and outs of the paperwork involved in the transaction, and how to efficiently use the MLS. There is more to it than one might think. Lastly, no matter if you choose a national brand or a small firm…I would make sure they are known for a high level of integrity and make a positive impression on the community.

Bob T. July 27, 2014 at 8:41 am

great podcast again! can’t believe it’s #80! Thank you Jonna for share your experience.
I was a little sad reflecting on my ex-primary turned rental, I will probably loss $50K if I were to sell, not including all the closing cost and newer mechanical upgrade done when I lived there. It’s + cash flow barely 8-)

80 and still going strong!

Jonna Weber July 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi Bob! I think you are smart to keep those renters in place and hang on while they continue to pay down the mortgage. My thought process would be that instead of coming to the table with $50k, you could put that same money into a down payments on winning investment properties. :) Thanks so much for commenting – there are so many of us in the same situation with a property that doesn’t work out exactly how we like it…but time can heal a lot when you are buy and hold.

Edward J Synicky July 27, 2014 at 1:26 pm

It is terribly sad to see people 50K under market and perhaps still with a negative every month. A property with “a little positive” is in reality a negative with any vacancy of any length or a repair of any consequence. I suspect this may be controversial but I have to say to Bob T you need to strongly consider a short sell and move on. As Jonna said It is true that time will heal a bad deal in a buy and hold strategy, but your stated age is 80. I know it will negatively impact your credit and you may have tax consequences and other isssues, but you need to talk with someone and evaluate all options.

Gavin Peacock July 28, 2014 at 11:16 pm

What a BRILLIANT podcast! I knew from the pre-show notes that this was one I had to listen to straight away. It wasn’t only good, it was the best one to date! Josh and Brandon are always perfect hosts, and Jonna was a perfect guest. She has a really good radio voice, and spoke articulately, and with knowledge and enthusiasm. It’s not often I listen to a show twice, but this one was just as good the second time. Very nice job indeed, and thank you for all of the great info!

Jonna Weber July 29, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for the extremely kind words, Gavin. I am so glad that you gleaned some information from the podcast, and felt it was worth listening to twice! See you around the site!

george p. July 30, 2014 at 9:21 am

the link to – Landlord on Autopilot by Mike Butler – is not working.

Ashley L. August 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Hi Jonna, I loved your podcast! I’m a newbie and your investment strategy is exactly how mine is starting to evolve (minus the self-managing). The purchase of my primary residence two years ago has proved to be addicting, but I’m in San Diego so my first investment property will most likely be out of state. Thanks for the no-nonsense info and simplified approach to REI!

-Ashley L.

Jonna Weber August 10, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you, Ashley! I actually grew up in San Diego, and know how costly that market is. Gorgeous place to be though! If you ever want to start looking at Idaho for investing, please let me know. I wish you all the best and see you around BP!

Jonna Weber July 30, 2014 at 9:32 am

George – that is too funny, made my morning! Never heard that one before. Coincidentally, Sarah is originally from the same small town in Idaho that my family is from. Maybe it is an Idaho accent thing.

george p. July 30, 2014 at 9:37 am

lol, you are welcome. btw, what does “a couple of handfuls of properties” mean?

Jonna Weber July 30, 2014 at 10:05 am

Enough to keep me busy. :)