Personal Development

How to Make Money With Rural Properties

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management
I’m excited to share with everyone an interview I conducted with Allen Shannon, founder of LandsofAmerica.com. The site was created 5 years ago to bring together buyers and sellers of rural land for sale. Shannon spent 2 years as a Senior Software Engineer at Ebay before dedicating his time and energy into this website. Today, [...] View the full article: How to Make Money With Rural Properties on The BiggerPockets Blog. This content is Copyright © 2017 BiggerPockets, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of How to Invest in Real Estate. He started BiggerPockets to help democratize the real estate investing landscape for himself and others, aiming to make it accessible for everyone, regardless of income or education. Today, BiggerPockets is the premier real estate investing website online with over one million members and reaching over 70 million people with the message of financial freedom through real estate investing. Joshua, along with his wife and three daughters, make their home in Denver, Colorado, and spend any time they can traveling, exploring, and adventuring. Read more about Joshua’s story in 5280 and Inc.com.

Ed Blackburn
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    Ed Blackburn
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    Excellent interview. Most all sentiments expressed are sentiments of my own. It’s only a matter of time before savvy investors will recognize that modern demographic pressures are snowballing, that big city dwelling will eventually become oppressive, and that any future quality of life style will be rural in nature. Reply Report comment
    Ed Blackburn
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    Bill Burruss III
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    Like any commodity the value of land will change. Currently, I serve as a representative for the Realtors Land Institute for the National Association of Realtors Research Subcommittee. Research on land has been more difficult to achieve than other commercial types, i.e. retail, industrial, hospitality, office …This is because in major metropolitan areas like New York, they acquire land by the removal of existing buildings. If you are a farmer in Nebraska, you don’t have this problem. Even in smaller metropolitan areas where Multiple Listing Associations (MLS) collect data, it is only done for residential sales. If you are looking for professionals that know land one of them would be the Accredited Land Consultant© (ALC). This person would be a Realtor© and would have the highest designation that Realtors© offer.
    Bill Burruss III
    Replied almost 13 years ago
    Marcus
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Great interview, thanks!
    Marcus
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Great interview, thanks!
    UK Land Guy
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Excellent and enlightening. It’s more and more difficult to find rural land, in the UK or anywhere else. There definately is less research on land versus the other types. We’re seeing that Americans are investing in UK land alot more.
    Patsy Blake
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    I agree, in my observation there are many people heading for the country. I am one of them. It’s a time for self preservation and many people recoginize this and are quitely moving in a certain direction. If anyone out there knows of 50/100 acres for sale in the East Tennessee area, I am a buyer. Two years ago I bought several pieces in this area, but, my criteria has changed and that type of property does’nt suit my needs any longer, so it’s for sale and I am looking more for farm land then mountain land. If anyone can help please email me. Also, look at the different properties on my web site I have for sale. Good hunting. Thanks Pat
    Patsy Blake
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Patsy Blake
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Invoice Factoring
    Replied almost 12 years ago
    Yeah I have to agree, there is a growing “green” trend which is accompanied by a self-preservation attitude. Many people wish to become farm or rural land owners particularly with the woes of city life and the problems in the housing market and economy.
    Zac Davis
    Replied over 11 years ago
    “It’s amazing to think about how much “rural land” there really is.” Take a drive through PA, and you won’t be amazed any longer, you’ll be astonished. Reply Report comment
    Zac Davis
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Zac Davis
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Russell Ward
    Replied about 11 years ago
    The demand for land will continue to be strong in the next few years especially compared to other forms of real estate. In fact, the major media is reporting a strong, positive message in recent articles about land: http://www.LandFlip.com – the premier land website, recently conducted a poll asking “When are you likely to purchase land?” 73% responded said they plan to purchase land in the next 12 months! USA Today – According to a poll commissioned for the National Association of Realtors, 60% of Baby Boomers want to retire to a small town. The article concludes that Boomers have “an almost insatiable desire for real estate….they see real estate as a way to build and protect a nest egg.” Why vacant land? “For a lot of people, it’s a dream to have a second home, but they really can’t afford it, so, they buy a lot.” Many Boomers are buying land with hopes and dreams to one day move on the property. New York Times – “The real estate market may have cooled, but investor demand may soon be heating up for at least one type of property: land. Skip to next paragraph“ The time is ripe to start looking; I haven’t seen this market in 20 years,” said Jaime Raskulinecz, a real estate investor from NJ, who wants to buy land in the hard-hit market of Cape Coral, FL. She found lots for sale on or near the water at about a third to half below their peak prices of two years ago. On a larger scale, Ray Alcorn, an investor in VA, is picking up parcels of land after two years on the sidelines. He has bought more than 100 acres throughout VA this year, much of it at reduced prices. http://www.Bloomberg.com – “…farmland is having its biggest revival in almost 30 years as demand for corn and soybeans from Asia and the ethanol industry drive commodity prices to record highs. From Iowa to South Dakota to Wyoming, gains in rural land prices have ranged from 78 percent to more than 200 percent.” New York Times – “Farm values probably will rise at an annual rate of 6 percent to 10 percent in the next five years,” said Murray Wise, of Westchester Group Inc. manager of $550 million of global farm tracts. In comparison, the median U.S. home is forecast to gain 1.2 percent through 2010, the Mortgage Bankers Association in Washington said. “It’s just crazy out there right now,” said Mac Boyd, 65, a real estate broker in Arcola, IL, who has sold farms for more than three decades. “The land market has never been stronger.” http://www.DailyWealth.com – “Timberland has actually beaten the stock market since 1960 (as far back as data goes). Stocks did extremely well in that time… up nearly 12% a year. But the total return on timberland was even better, at nearly 14%. Another nice thing is timber is completely uncorrelated to the stock market. It makes sense… the trees have never heard of the Nasdaq bubble… and they don’t know what a War on Terror is.” http://www.LandFlip.com – Emily Wilson, a realtor in Shelbyville, TN (south of Nashville) was asked to comment on land sales in her area. She stated “acreage is selling better than homes in our area. We sell a lot of horse farms and high dollar properties…but if I were depending on starter home sales for a living, I’d be crying hard times. Instead, our company sales are up $1 million over this same time last year.” Buy Land. They’ve stopped making anymore – Mark Twain There is an amazing demand for land in many different shapes, sizes and types. Here’s to your success in real estate. Russell Ward
    Log Home Builders
    Replied about 11 years ago
    This was a very interesting interview to read. Thank you for sharing it with us. Allen Shannon seems to be a very smart guy.
    Log Home Builders
    Replied about 11 years ago
    Kirk McDonald
    Replied almost 10 years ago
    Interesting article…but you have some misinformation. CRP stands for Conservation Reserve Program, and its intention was for soil conservation. By keeping a native grass cover on your land it reduces soil erosion. True, the end result is crop reduction. But, that is not the official name or purpose. People and towns across west Texas were helped tremendously by this program, as anyone that has ever experienced a Lubbock dirt storm can attest to. see this link. http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/CRP/
    Kirk McDonald
    Replied almost 10 years ago
    JMJR
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Before you all get excited, I would advise you to put it on ice and do some real research and cogitate on the following: How will you protect your property from trespassers? Will you have the property managed? Are you willing to put up with country life? For example, getting snowed-bound during winter? You expect peace and quiet in the country? think again. What about farm machinery noise? or those ever annoying ATVs, especially when they are trespassing on your property! what about the smell of the country? Are you ready for that.? Are you also ready for the hard work and maintenance that country living requires? Do you require close access to emergency services? Living out in the country would be you at a disadvantage there. I suggest you read the following guid to country living published by Webster county Iowa: http://www.webstercountyia.org/Publications/CountryLiving.htm Reply Report comment
    JMJR
    Replied over 8 years ago
    JMJR
    Replied over 8 years ago
    JMJR
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Anonymous
    Replied about 8 years ago
    Very interesting article. Our uncle is leaving us 350 acres of farmland in Virginia that has been in our family since the late 1700’s. We are not quite sure whether to keep it all, divide it up and sell partials or what. It is suitable and currently used for livestock and a beautiful stream runs right through the pasture with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the back drop. Currently hay, corn, soy are raised along with about 80 head of cattle. My inclination (which must be agreed upon by four other siblings) is to lease out the pasture and crops, farm a little timber, lease out the two dwellings, lease to hunters and manage the hay sales in the summer. To hang on to land that’s been in the family for generations is not something as revered in the USA as it is in the UK. My inclination is to hang on and pass down. Any thoughts to help me provide persuasion to my siblings would be appreciated.
    tyler
    Replied about 7 years ago
    Great article/interview. Very insightful. Reply Report comment
    tyler
    Replied about 7 years ago
    Great article/interview. Very insightful.
    Bryan Rahn
    Replied over 6 years ago
    My family started buying land in 1977 in Canada and we have yet to see a decrease in value my modo is if it is covering itself ie taxes upkeep etc. there is no reason to sell as it is as good an investment as any and a true hard asset. Buy, hold, buy more when you can and pass it to the next generation. If you look at Europe the truly wealthy are the ones that held on to their land through generations. Your uncle has given u a real gem don’t let it go. If times get tough borrow against it as inflation hits your debt will get smaller and your farm will increase in value. Good luck
    Laura Hughes
    Replied about 4 years ago
    How can I invest in rural properties with little or no money? Reply Report comment
    Laura Hughes
    Replied about 4 years ago
    Laura Hughes
    Replied about 4 years ago
    How can I invest in rural properties with little or no money?