Real Estate Investing Basics

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management
An investor on our forums recently posed a great question that others out there can learn from. I thought it would be a great idea to share with the rest of you. “Theres been a property at the end of my street that has been abandon for close to a year+ now. At no point [...] View the full article: Where to Find Information on Abandoned Homes and Other Properties. Skiptracking and other Techniques. on The BiggerPockets Blog. This content is Copyright © 2017 BiggerPockets, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of
    Dallas homes for sale
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Great Post! Now I’ll have some answers for my clients questions. I feel bad when I have to say I’m not sure.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I’m glad that this was helpful for both of you!
    Barry Cox
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I love that our county recorder records are online here in AZ. It is an amazing resource for information.
    Barry Cox
    Barry Cox
    Jim Watkins
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I actually wrote and teach a class in Dallas called, “How to Find Abandoned Houses & Owners.” The advice offered above is all great. One bit of advice I can offer that adds to the advice given on the mail is this…. Send a letter to the house, addressed to the owner of record. DO NOT write “Or current resident” on the envelope! However, make sure you do write on the front of the envelope, “Return Service Requested.” This means if the person listed on the envelope does not live there, the letter will be returned to you. BUT…. if the person left a forwarding address, the post office will put a forwarding address sticker accross the bottom of the envelope. Now you know right where they are. Not bad for less then $0.50!
    Donald Thompson
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Jim, I am considering house hunting as a secondary source of income. Can you tell me where I could get some information on how to find these abandoned homes? I live in the western suburbs of chicago. I would think that there are alot of homes out there. Maybe you could guide me to some books to read. Any information you give would be helpful. Thanks , Donald Thompson
    NsaneNoob
    Replied over 12 years ago
    This only bring the idea that the house may be hunted. Pretty interesting fact about investments you wrote there. Thanks for the post.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Jim – Great Tip! I can’t believe I forgot about that little trick Reply Report comment
    Joshua Dorkin
    Jim – Great Tip! I can’t believe I forgot about that little trick
    Joshua Dorkin
    Joshua Dorkin
    Jim – Great Tip! I can’t believe I forgot about that little trick
    Jeff Miller
    Replied over 12 years ago
    This is very useful. Thank you for this site.
    FreedomFinance.co.uk
    Replied over 12 years ago
    this only bring the idea that the house may be hunted. Pretty interesting fact about investments you wrote there. I can’t believe I forgot about that little trick
    rob aubrey
    Replied over 12 years ago
    I remeber there use to be a list on the either the city or the county’s web site for boarded up houses. I live in Salt Lake. I am not able to find it. But I know it existed and it was a fast way to compile the list. Then apply the techniques decribed in the other replies. Good Luck
    rob aubrey
    Colorado Home Guy
    Replied over 12 years ago
    Josh- Thank you for the advice about the three ways to track down the owner of an abandoned property. I really like what Jim added about the forwarding address. I like things that work and are cheap.
    sissi de gavour
    Replied over 11 years ago
    i am lookin for an old abandoned farm with a few acres to live as a primary home with my dogs cats and other animlas. i am geting a government grant. please help, no mater where it is; maybe in the catskills,salmon river area., if i am not asking too much, what about one old old house front lake ,lots of centenary trees ho boy! that would make my day thankyou Sissi.
    Andi Kasim
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Andi Kasim
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Its good point that you say it in this post..all i want to add is you still can perform to search public record in online on the net…….it is much more easy and also you will have various data from the report in order to know more about the house that are selling . Reply Report comment
    Andi Kasim
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Andi Kasim
    Replied over 11 years ago
    Luisa
    Replied almost 11 years ago
    Does ANYONE know what I can do to get funding to purchase a large home (about 6 bedrooms) with at least an acre, but nothing too fancy, could be a fixer. I have been searching for years on how to get some kind of grand to open a home for Pregnant teens in the Foster Care System to help and teach them to care for their babies and to provide Independant Living Skills, Oportunity to complete High School/College, Job Search training, etc. I am very passionate about my venture and have taken the Foster care Courses with two different agencies, but am having a hard time finding a home to Purchase in my price range. Please Everybodies help is VERY WELCOMED & APPRECIATED.
    sucetta baggett
    Replied over 7 years ago
    i live in jackson county alabama and i found a old house in the woods beside a cave with a natural spring its beautiful land but the house has trees growing through it and its pretty much been abandoned for atleast fifty years. it has no address so what do i do? Reply Report comment
    sucetta baggett
    Replied over 7 years ago
    Kelly BOORSE
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    Done everything for abandon house next door! Recent was Jan. 2014 And it says bank owns it, when calling bank they don’t know anything on property? So help what to do in this sort of issue?
    Becky
    Replied over 2 years ago
    I found an aboundoned house don’t find an address on the house or mailbox how can I find more about this house