Real Estate Marketing

How Not to Lose Real Estate Deals

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management

I’ve been going back and forth with a member of BiggerPockets today about a deal that he found on our site. He was very excited about the property and despite his best efforts, tried to get in touch with the individual posting it, and failed. Here’s a little video with some advice for all the investors (and Realtors) out there to ensure you’re not that guy.

As always, please leave your thoughts in the comments below.

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of
    Shae Bynes
    Replied about 10 years ago
    What else can I say other than “Well said, Josh!” Responsiveness is so important and its great to have a community such as BiggerPockets to help facilitate real dealmaking!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Thanks Shae. I appreciate the comment and you taking a minute to listen to my little rant.
    Julie Broad
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Great video Josh!! Responsiveness is huge! I don’t think you have to check email and phone messages constantly but you should be handling them at least once a day!! If you’re away have someone that can help you out with that while you’re away. Good stuff.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 10 years ago
    I agree that once a day is sufficient. But ignore your “customers” at your peril!
    Dean Herbertz
    Replied about 10 years ago
    You are 100% correct, I myself have been guilty of this when I posted a potential deal that had ended up going to another investor and when someone asked about it again later I did not respond as the deal was past. I should however have let this person know the current status. I will in the future corrrect this error . Thanks Dean Herbertz
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 10 years ago
    It is imperative that you be good at getting back to people, Dean, as you never know who you r next buyer is going to be.
    Matt Rosen
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Very good job on the subject of having the common sense and courtesy to call someone back. BP is not the place to start flaking out on someone especially with deals involved. Accountability is underated and should be valued more. Great job Josh
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Thanks Matt.
    Michael Lauther
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Josh : thanks for your input. I find biggerpockets to be a valuable resource and check in every few days when possible. Have experienced a lack of response on posted messages for listed properties and would like to see this improved. I would like to Thank those investors who have responded and provided not only information on thier listed property but invaluable information regarding thier unique market places.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Michael – Hopefully you’ve seen better responsiveness over the last year or so.
    Brian Gibbons
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Josh: Hi Josh, That is not a RANT, that is being respectful. This is the biggest complaint I have with Real Estate, Investment Advisors, Insurance, what ever! Keep up the social ettiquette coaching, man! Treat others the way you want to be treated, Amen! PS Go Celts! Best LA!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Thank you Brian. Ironically, I’m extremely delayed in responding to comments on this old post, but I suppose it is better late than never.
    Mike
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Great post, I couldn’t agree more… thanks for the insight!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    No problem, Mike. Happy to help!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    No problem, Mike. Happy to help!
    Rachel Aka Mobile Home Gurl
    Replied about 10 years ago
    Wow! I’ve been through this before. Though, what’s happened is there will be a property I’m interested in and in my attempt to contact the person listing it I magically get placed on a list for other properties. I can think of one broker in particular who has made a reputation for himself listing properties and not getting back to folks, only for folks to be placed on an email/phone list. It’s pretty disappointing. Though, I guess it’s part of being in this business. There are people who are responsible and those who are not. Hopefully, this will be a good reminder for folks to be more responsible – thanks for the video Josh!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    I think the solution to this problem is to charge people to post . . . if you know you’re paying, perhaps you’re going to be more likely to respond. Then again, if someone gets it, they are going to respond regardless.
    Michael
    Replied about 10 years ago
    It’s basic business courtesy to respond, even when something is no longer on the table, for all the reasons suggested here. But all my time trying to do business over the last two decades, I’ve seen this attitude that nobody owes anyone the time of day. At least, that’s what I found as an author trying to shop my book around to publishing agents. I sent off over 100 inquiries, and only got back 3 denials. Those three agents must be the only ones out of those 100 or so that are making money. I had similar problems as a musician trying to shop my material. Rude, arrogant, stupid people. Is it a generational thing, or a general state of degeneracy in modern business culture? Do they promote this sort of attitude in business schools, or is it learned from the established culture when these people get jobs? As for people doing that in real estate, this is a competitive business. I say, more leftovers for those of us who are wise enough to communicate. The weak shall die and the strong shall live, pyramid of skulls, yada yada…
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Basic business courtesy isn’t taught in high school or in college. I believe it is common sense, but I suppose we aren’t all born with it. I agree with your comment: The weak shall die and the strong shall live — couldn’t have put it better!