Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

BiggerPockets Interview with Investor James Vermillion

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management

We kick off our real estate investor video interview series (thank you Skype!) with an interview with James Vermillion of K&V LLC. James is a rehabber based in Kentucky who is in the process of working on his 2nd and 3rd deals. While he is very early in his career, as you can tell from the interview, he has some serious pearls of wisdom to share. Watch and learn!

Please leave any feedback about the interview or questions for James below.

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of How to Invest in Real Estate. He started BiggerPockets to help democratize the real estate investing landscape for himself and others, aiming to make it accessible for everyone, regardless of income or education. Today, BiggerPockets is the premier real estate investing website online with over one million members and reaching over 70 million people with the message of financial freedom through real estate investing. Joshua, along with his wife and three daughters, make their home in Denver, Colorado, and spend any time they can traveling, exploring, and adventuring. Read more about Joshua’s story in 5280 and Inc.com.

Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Thanks again for the opportunity to sit down with you, James!
    Chris Guthrie
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Really great interview. Definatly keep them coming Josh! And BTW… Josh, has anybody told you you look like Adam Levine from Maroon 5? hahahaha James, my partner and I have a very similar business structure. He does a lot of the physical stuff, answers the phone and negotiates with sellers while I administer our website, I do the book keeping, I do the phone calls with business contacts, etc. Just curious, what type of system you are your partner are using to for time and appointment management. You said that you schedule appointments between you partner and contractors, but how do you know when your partner’s schedule is open? My partner and I are sharing an iCal, but I feel like there could be something better out there. Again great interview and best of luck to you and your business James!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Hey Chris – Yeah . . . I’ve heard it once or twice 😉 Actually, when I used to live in LA I’d get the stares all over . . . he’s a lucky guy – to look so much like me! Too bad I don’t have his singing skills!
    James Vermillion
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Chris, Thanks for the kind words. As for your question about the calendar issue it can be a bit tricky. We actually use a simple monthly calendar in Microsoft Word for starters. I keep up with the update and we have a meeting on Skype every Saturday morning (complete with PowerPoint slides, project updates, financial reviews, etc). During the meeting we look at the upcoming week and figure out what needs to be scheduled and when. He does a lot of the scheduling himself as well, but when needed I typically get a few options from the contractor (or whoever) to increase the odds of making something work. We have talked multiple times about a shared electronic calendar, so we might give that a try (although our current system is working well). Good luck to you as well!
    Steve
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Congratulations on your success, James. It seems like you run a very organized operation. Best of luck.
    Rob
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Great interview! You are on your way, keep it up!
    Rachel Aka Mobile Home Gurl
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Nice interview! 🙂 It’s good to meet you, James. So great to hear about other BP members especially those just starting out – we’ve all been there. I’m not much of a rehabber so I’m sure there’s a lot to gain just by hearing about your stories and experiences!!
    Mike Z
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Great Interview. Hearing from people that are doing deals and in the business is great. Regardless if it is the first deal or the 100th deal. Great Job and I look forward to the series
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Thanks, Mike. I’ve got 4 new interviews lined up for next week . . . more great stuff to share with our readers!
    jianghua Wang
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Great Interview Joshua and good job James! Looking forward to seeing more good stuff at BP.
    Chanda B
    Chanda B
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Excellent view into someone starting out in RE Investing. How was the first property purchased (conventional loan, hard money, cash, etc)? Reply Report comment
    JonK
    Replied over 8 years ago
    James, it sounds like you and your partner are taking a well planned, measured approach. Also, you have a solid foundation for a successful partnership and business. And I think it’s wise to keep the day job as long as possible. Y’all are doing great!
    GregB
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Thanks for sharing James. Good interview.
    GregB