Real Estate Investing Basics

Real Estate Investing Over the Decades: An Interview with Jeff Brown

Expertise: Real Estate Marketing, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Investing Basics, Landlording & Rental Properties, Flipping Houses, Personal Finance, Business Management

Jeff BrownJeff Brown aka BawldGuy is a real estate investor and retirement planning specialist. In our interview (34:42 minutes), we talk about his career through the decades, how investing, financing, and the real estate markets have changed over that period, and delve into real estate investing with an eye on retirement.

Jeff is one of the sharpest guys in the real estate investing world and has lots of interesting things to share both in the interview, on his own site, and every Tuesday on the BiggerPockets Blog.

Be sure to read and watch dozens of other real estate interviews from BiggerPockets today!

Joshua Dorkin is a serial entrepreneur, investor, podcaster, publisher, educator, and co-author of How to Invest in Real Estate. He started BiggerPockets to help democratize the real estate investing landscape for himself and others, aiming to make it accessible for everyone, regardless of income or education. Today, BiggerPockets is the premier real estate investing website online with over one million members and reaching over 70 million people with the message of financial freedom through real estate investing. Joshua, along with his wife and three daughters, make their home in Denver, Colorado, and spend any time they can traveling, exploring, and adventuring. Read more about Joshua’s story in 5280 and Inc.com.

Mark Updegraff
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Great Interview guys! I’m really looking forward to the second addition with Jeff. Glad you didn’t cut the temporary insanity, I got a good chuckle! Great, great video! Thanks so much guys, you’re both priceless assets to those trying to come up through the RE / investing world!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the kind words, Mark. I had to cut a but out due to temporary insanity on my part, and as you could see, I was definitely in full laugh mode in the dead center of the interview, but I think we got a TON of great info out of Jeff. It was fun and he’s a great guy!
    Dwayne
    Replied over 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed the interview. As I continue to learn and begin my real estate investment journey, I hope to learn one day where all the rocks are so it will appear like I walk on water. I’ll be on the lookout for more interviews with Jeff. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    Jeff Brown
    Replied over 8 years ago
    It was worth it if only to see Joshua crack up in the middle. 🙂 Though I very much enjoy writing, the give ‘n take of an interview is more to my liking.
    Jeff Brown
    Will Barnard
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Great interview guys. At risk of dating myself, I remember Alpha Beta as well! 🙂 Will
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Nice to see you on this side of the site, Will! Thanks for chiming in; I’m glad you enjoyed the interview. I’m not surprised that you remember Alpha Beta, given your aversion to tech 😉 BTW – if you want a pic next to your comments here on the blog, set up an account on Gravatar.com and get your mug linked to your email – you should do that on the site too . . . let people see your face! See you around!
    Jeff Brown
    Hey Will — Was wondering when someone would pipe up. Reply Report comment
    Jeff Brown
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Hey Will — Was wondering when someone would pipe up.
    Mike Z
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Very nice Job. Gotta love the experience, knowledge and willingness to share with all of us
    Joel Owens
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Hey Jeff, Great video. I noticed you mentioned Texas.There was a survey recently of the top 10 cities in growth for the nation. Texas had either 4 or 5 of them. My mom’s sister lives there and came to visit us in Georgia recently.She did state the economies are booming but there is a HUGE PROBLEM. Many parts of Texas are under water restrictions and they are experiencing big droughts. I know from my commercial development back ground that having little to no water kills development.So I am wondering what impact the drought will have with investing in those areas.
    JonK
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the interview Josh and Jeff. I’m looking forward to more. Jeff, do you recommend self directing IRAs and 401Ks and the investing in real estate? To avoid the tax and penalties from gutting them? Or do you discourage self direction because of the difficulty of getting leverage?
    Jeff Brown
    Replied over 8 years ago
    Hey Jon — It’s a person by persn thing, but the case can be easily made that the vast majority of folks should be out of those plans. There are exceptions obviously, but they tend to prove the rule. The crucial factor is almost always time.
    Tod R
    Replied almost 8 years ago
    Thanks for the interview. Avoiding alligators all the way around, is good advice!