BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 011 : The Ultimate Beginner’s Podcast For Real Estate Investors

Expertise:

Getting started with real estate investing can seem overwhelming, but on today’s episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast, we are going to walk you through the entire broad overview of how people actually make money in the real estate investing field – and how you can do the same. In this unique episode, Josh and Brandon will walk you through the steps to take before getting started, choosing your strategy, ideas for finding properties, tips for getting financing in order and much, much more. Grab a pen and paper and get ready to take notes – this episode is jam packed with over an hour of directly actionable and educational information.

Read the transcript of Episode 11 with Josh and Brandon here.

Listen to The Show on iTunes

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

In Today’s Flipping Podcast, We Cover:

BiggerPockets-Podcast-_-Real-Estate-Investing-and-Wealth-Building

• The first “personal” decision you need to make before investing.
  • Working full-time vs. part time in real estate investing.
  • Josh Dorkin’s real thoughts on “gurus.”
  • Investing when you are broke.
  • Six steps to overcoming analysis paralysis
  • Ten unique niches and three solid strategies you can invest in real estate with.
  • Brandon’s favorite “team member” that helped cut 90% of his work out
  • To partner or not to partner? Pros and Cons
  • 13 ways to finance your real estate investments

Links from the Show

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investors and other real estate professionals, who chat about failures, successes, motivations, and lessons learned.

Jesse M. Holmes
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Soup to nuts? I guess I’m from the boonies, too! Great show, guys! The UBG has so much value to new investors. Hey, speaking of beginner’s guides, you mentioned starting up an REI club if there isn’t one near you. I wanted to recommend a link to Glenn Plantone’s article outlining exactly that. Thursday is my favorite day of the week. See you in the forums!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks for listening and for pointing out that post, Jesse. I’m also glad to hear that Brandon isn’t the only one in the boonies that doesn’t know what on Earth us city folk are talking about. That said, here’s more information on “soup to nuts” to help out. Honestly, I didn’t understand the roots of the idiom until seeking out that link. We definitely appreciate your support each week; please be sure to leave us a review on iTunes if you haven’t already! Catch you next week…
    Thomas Price
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Josh and Brandon, Another home run obviously. I absolutely love listening to your podcasts. My wife and I actually listen to them every morning while we are getting ready for work through our entertainment surround sound system. :o) Brandon, as one musician to another, you should try adding a little reverb to Josh’s voice and see what happens. LOL Anyways, I think it is awesome that you guys thought to pretty much narrate the UBG. Great strategy. It worked well with J. Scott and his book also. It’s a good plan and it really helps the words on the page jump right off at you if they don’t already. I think this podcast will really help brand new investors shake out a few of the webs that clog the thinking and get them to start taking some action. great Job again. Can’t wait for the next one.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hey Thomas – To be honest, we were a little nervous doing a show without a guest, but I think we did a good job and your feedback certainly reinforces that. We didn’t want to mess with something that was working, but I’m glad we did. Thanks for listening, and keep spreading the word! Best, Josh
    Mehran Kamari
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I can’t wait to listen to this one. Got it loaded on the USB for my drive to/fro work this evening. I can tell by the description that I’m going to love it. I don’t use iTunes but I may have to install it just to leave a review!
    Jamaal
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thank you for the great podcast. So far I am enjoying what BP is providing for all investors. I really like the excellent points provided. Became a PRO member to obtain as many of these great spreadsheets and contracts provided by many of our members. Thank you again. PS I got your back on the “borg” comment. He is just a hater
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Jamaal, and thanks for upgrading to PRO! And yes, I am a hater (and more of a Star Wars fan!) 😉
    Joshua Dorkin
    Hey Jamaal – He just doesn’t understand that ‘Resistance is Futile’ 😉
    Matt Sheridan
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks for continuing to do these every week. I look forward to them! A lot of helpful information
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Matt! We appreciate you being a listener.
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Matt! We love doing them, and we’ll continue for as long as you all keep listening!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Matt! We appreciate you being a listener.
    Niki Cunningham
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Just listened to the podcast and really enjoyed it, but I guess I missed Brandon’s favorite team member that cut 90% of his work. So could you please share on that because I’m needing a team member like that!
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks Niki! My favorite team member that cuts down my work: my resident manager/handyman. He shows units, signs leases, does all maintenance stuff, collects rent, deposits rent, and answers phone calls – in exchange for free rent. It’s an awesome relationship to have!
    Niki Cunningham
    Replied over 6 years ago
    That’s right, I remember you don’t want to change light bulbs!
    Daniel Inman
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Love the podcast Josh and Brandon, Sorta young starter investor here (29) and I would love to here a podcast from Jeff Brown on purposeful planning or anything he wishes to discuss(normally gold advice). And second topic would be green investing, is it possible or lucrative? Thanks again guys, Daniel
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hey Daniel – Thanks for listening! I’m glad you enjoyed the show. We’ve got the BawldGuy on our list of people to get to down the line and are definitely interested in doing an episode on Green. Keep listening and we’ll bring the good stuff to ya!
    Eve
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Great show! Is there an application i can download so i can listen it on my phone?
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks for listening, Eve! Here’s an article with some ideas: 8 great apps for listening to podcasts on Android and iOS. The show is definitely on iTunes and Stitcher, and possibly accessible via other ones as well.
    Roy N.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Guys, I’m enjoying the series of podcasts. The only nitpick I would have is about calling vacancy and credit loss (unpaid rent) “expenses”. Vacancy is a lost opportunity, but it’s not an expenses 😉
    Roy N.
    Replied over 6 years ago
    OK … my second nitpick would be the pronunciation of the work “niche” … i.e. it does not rhyme with ‘itch’ 😉 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAw0n08YRE … now, I’m just yanking your chain 🙂
    Terry H
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Wow, this was a really great one. I already read the UBG twice and it was nice to have this podcast to go along with the guide. That guide is what made me decide that real estate investing will be my path to financial freedom. Thanks for the guide and the podcast! Terry
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Thanks so much, Terry! Glad it could help!
    Michael
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Josh & Brandon, Great job on these podcasts! I’m a long time member and these are definitely my favorite part of the biggerpockets website. Keep up the great work. Michael Rogers
    Brandon Turner
    Replied over 6 years ago
    Hey thanks so much, Michael! That’s really great to hear. All in all, it’s probably the most time intensive thing we do, but probably my favorite! Thanks for listening!
    Vernon
    Replied over 6 years ago
    I didn’t realize you guys had this particular podcast until recently. I appreciate the amount of topics that were covered and I’ll probably listen to it again. I have a hard copy to! Priceless………
    Travis Daggett
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    Great show, guys! I think this is a great place to start, and could save or salvage many people’s RE investing career. Keep it up!
    Jason P
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    Great Podcast. Just started listening to these, and I cant seem to stop. You give lots of great information, and you do it in an easy to understand way. Big Thanks!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied almost 6 years ago
    Thanks for listening, Jason! We’ve got a ton of great shows already and many more planned. Please spread the word, and if you have a moment, we’d love an honest review for the show on iTunes!
    Silvana G.
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Definitely the best real estate book I’ve read so far! Thanks guys! Silvana G.
    Warren
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Good morning, I am curious. What is the best and/or easiest way to get started? I was working towards doing a Flip or two while seeking out any wholesale deals that I can come across just to create some funding to get me to a couple buy and holds. In this podcast, it was stated that flipping and wholesaling is an avenue that is better when doing full time. A little about me, I work full time as a luxury auto sales consultant. I work long hours. The same long hours I do not mind giving to real estate in my future. Right now, I need to keep the job that I have for more reasons than one. So here I am, looking to put together some capital for the buy and hold, but looking to get there in any and many ways that are possible. What is the best and/or easiest way to gain the funds to move forward? Or should I just look into Private Funds? Please give me any and all feedback, I would love to be in the know.
    Billy Cones from Harker Heights, Texas
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Great podcast and I already downloaded UBG, it is good reading/educational.
    Joshua Dorkin from Denver, CO
    Replied almost 5 years ago
    Thanks Billy! Good luck to you.
    Julia Rowling Real Estate Investor from Greenville, SC
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks again, guys, for publishing the UBG! It is such a great overview and framework to build knowledge from. I liked that, true to form, Josh reminds us of the need for HARD WORK to be successful. Contrary to the guru-hype, it’s rarely overnight, and the four-hour workweek may be something to aspire to, but for most of us, it’s not going to be that easy-breazy. So for newbies: get educated…apply concepts with action…monitor and adjust…keep learning…keep taking action. I am a HUGE fan of BP and cannot thank you enough for creating such important content!!!!
    Yasmine Bisumber Realtor/Investor from Miramar, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This is such a helpful podcast! I have to get this book, again thanks so much for providing such a resource.
    Michelle Cobbs Investor from Copiague, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Thanks for this podcast love the overview of the book, I am reading the book now. As always you guys are great love the real talk you always provide. Michelle
    Lukas Koube from Inglewood, California
    Replied over 3 years ago
    I’m working through the material here, this place is gr8!!
    Ade
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Is the two percent rule realistic? I am a newbie and renting my first home now and that rule seems unreasonable. i bought for around 200k, meaning according to that rule, i should rent for 4k but home around here rent for 2k if you are lucky
    Julie Marquez Investor from Seattle, Washington
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Thanks for all that you guys do for real estate investing! I am thankful that I don’t have to bribe a guru or pay $20k to learn all this information. What you guys provide is so invaluable, and I can’t thank BP enough for the platform and great content. Thanks again!
    TréSina Steger-Smith from White Plains, Maryland
    Replied over 2 years ago
    AMEN!!!! That is all I have to say. Thank you GOD!!! This is a book that needs more and more and more.