BiggerPockets Podcast 088: Investing with Your Spouse, Managing Financials, and Growing Your Team with Matt and Liz Faircloth
Today we’re thrilled to chat with New Jersey real estate investors Matt and Liz Faircloth on The BiggerPockets Podcast, covering everything from the challenges of working with a spouse to purchasing a 10,000 square foot office space!
Matt and Liz have been hooked on real estate since buying their first single family home in 2002. After years of self education, their fair share of learning pains and a healthy dose of hard work, the couple now owns over 100 units and has accomplished around 15 fix and flips. Employing a team of 11, their mission statement is to “revitalize Urban America” and to “transform lives through real estate.” Pick up some great tips on building an empire from the bottom up, choosing the best kinds of financing and earning that all-important track record of success. It’s all here, so don’t miss out!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast guest on today’s show: 99Designs.com. 99Designs is an awesome design service that will help your business look more professional, by crowd sourcing business cards, website designs, and more (for an incredibly reasonable price!).
Get a $99 Power Pack FREE by visiting 99designs.com/biggerpockets! So definitely check ’em out!
Links from the Show:
- BiggerPockets Forums
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing from BiggerPockets
- BP Podcast 077: Negotiating Your Way to 1000 Wholetail Real Estate Deals with Michael Quarles
In This Show We Cover:
- How Liz and Matt got their start in real estate as an engaged couple
- The pros and cons of working with your spouse
- How to successfully get organized
- The importance of making a business plan from the get-go
- The ins and outs of bookkeeping in a home business (program recommendations included!)
- What you stand to gain from a tax deferred exchange
- The thrills — and challenges — of buying a 10,000 sq. ft. office space
- The all-important skill of flexibility (or “learning to pivot“)
- How to gain wealth through commercial real estate
- The intricacies of private equity, private lending, forming LLCs & LLPs (and more!)
- Proof that you CAN see 20-40% returns with no money down
- How to add value to a real estate investment team without putting money up
- The definitive guide to finding great employees for your business
- Why modular homes may be your safest bet
- The worst rehabbing nightmare ever (involving lawsuits, water damage — and a total lack of foundation)
- And so much more!
Books Mentioned in the Show
- The Lean Startup by Eric Reis
- Rich Dad’s Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
- Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker’s Money by Dolf de Roos
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
- Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth by T. Harv Eker
“So if the game plan goes wrong, have a B, have a C, have a D.” (Tweet This!)
Want more articles like this?
Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inboxSign up for free
“Do things that you’re good at and that you enjoy…bringing your real passions to a task is key.” (Tweet This!)
“Single family home, multi family home — whatever your plan is, get really good at it.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Matt & Liz