Personal Development

The Rewards of Commitment: Why You Should Learn to Do Your Best With the Skills You Have

Expertise: Real Estate Investing Basics, Personal Development, Landlording & Rental Properties, Real Estate News & Commentary, Business Management, Flipping Houses, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing
rewards_of_commitment

Just the other day, I was sitting in the office thinking. (Crazy, I know.) I was reviewing the past year and looking at the few remaining days, wondering how much more I could squeeze out, then I had the moment. I’m sure you know the feeling, when your brain just clicks for some reason, an inexplicable poof of clarity in the midst of what you were considering to be a cloudy time.

So my moment happened, and like so many others, it caused a rush of information and feelings and ideas that moved so quickly, I just started blurting them out so my team could hear what I was thinking before I forgot. It all seemed to happen organically, and it morphed into a full blown white board scenario.

After a few off the cuff revisions, this is what I came up with:

“Give your best with what you’ve got until the lights get turned out.” – Engelo Rumora

Now you’re probably wondering what this has to do with anything, right?

Produce Results With the Talents You Have

Well, I’m writing here today to say that this one line, this one thought, has everything to do with everything — business and personal. The ability to produce results with the talents you have — your own physical and mental attributes — and the ability to be at peace with your contribution is paramount to your success.

We have all experienced loss: the passing of a loved one, the close of a business relationship or the loss of a much needed big deal all weigh on our personal self-worth. The world we live in is finite; nothing comes with a guarantee for future performance. Our relationships can sour as communication is hindered from pride and jealousy. Eventually, everything comes to an end, and the lights just simply go out. Some of this is beyond our control.

Related: Goals Without Limits: How to Make Big Dreams for 2015 into Achievable Plans

The realization is that sometimes what we contribute to a cause, business or a relationship, we may never get back out. Life in all facets can be disproportionate. But know this: if you have given your best with what you have to give, then you have done your part. We can move past the self-doubt and the feelings of inadequacy.

If you know in your heart and soul that your contribution is 100% of what you are able to give and that you could not have given anything more, you have closure. The rest is not your responsibility to ponder and stress over. Whatever happens will happen. Sometimes positive, sometimes not so much, but it is out of your control.

The Rewards of Commitment

This past year, I used more of my mental and physical capacity than I thought I had. I sacrificed time with my family and friends. I dedicated my time and gave up my health to focus all that I had on my business ventures. I could give no more. After looking back and reviewing, although my business sense tells me to never be satisfied, I know that I need to be — because of what I gave.

We can all make money, we can all start a business or a relationship or develop a new idea. We each have the capacity to truly do great things. Take a look at your accomplishments, and don’t measure yourself by what you didn’t get done or the money you didn’t earn; measure your time by the focus you dedicated. We each have our own level of contribution and our results, which, as they say on TV, will vary. Continue to dedicate your time to the simple tasks while focusing on the larger picture. I promise you: if you give all you have, you will live your dreams.

Related: Hustle: The Single Most Important Factor to Finding Real Estate Deals

While I don’t recommend the sacrifice of your health or your relationships, understand that your peace of mind is completely dependent on your level of commitment.

There was a time that I felt let down by the people around me when they didn’t contribute what I was able to contribute. I was holding them to my own standard and work practice. That unfair judgment and the few occasions that I experienced huge personal setbacks lead me to realize that I can still have high standards, but can’t expect any more than an individual’s 100%.

Conclusion

In conclusion: When everything is gone, what is left? A new beginning.

2015 is just around the corner, and as my last blog of the year, I would like to thank you for reading and BiggerPockets for having me. I look forward to all the stories and tidbits of information that I will be able to share in the coming months.

What have you committed your time, energy and enthusiasm to this year? What do you plan on tackling next year?

I enjoy reading your comments. Please leave some below!

Engelo Rumora, a.k.a."the Real Estate Dingo," quit school at the age of 14 and played professional soccer at the age of 18. From there, he began to invest in real estate. He now owns real estate al...
    Brooks Rembert Rental Property Investor from Woodbridge, VA
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Great and timely post. For me, I’ll be committed to purchasing two more rental properties this year. Thank you for your great postings this year.
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Hi Brooks, Thanks for your comment and kind words. The team and myself appreciate them very much. Finish of the year strongly 🙂 Happy NY
    Karen Rittenhouse Flipper/Rehabber from Greensboro, NC
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Thank you for your post, Engelo. As a high over-achiever, I especially like the part about being satisfied that you did all you could do, even though we have trouble ever accepting that it was enough. I have started and operated, along with my husband and business partner, a number of real estate businesses over the past 9 years. To say we were busy full time is an understatement and the hill we continue to rush up never seems to get smaller… However, at the beginning of 2014, I was jerked out of everything business to deal with an overwhelming family medical emergency. I am only now mentally getting back into what I left January 15th. My plan for 2015 is that I will be back to business now that the crises has subsided. While I am painfully aware of what I didn’t accomplish in 2014, I am amazed and proud of what I did. Thanks for the reflection and reminder. Here’s wishing you tremendous success in 2015.
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Hi Karen, Thanks for comment and I am sorry to hear about the family medical emergency. Family and health comes before anything else. I am yet to fully wake up and smell the roses on those to things. I have definitely strategized differently for 2015. It will be busier than ever, but I won’t be sacrificing time with family or my health for business. As if indeed one day the lights get turned out, I need to be able to look back and say “I gave it all for my family and our health”. As long as if you give it your all in any undertaking, than that will give you peace of mind. Thanks again and have a great NY 🙂
    Walter W. Investor from Seattle, Washington
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Thanks for sharing, Engelo. Best of luck in 2015!
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Thanks for your comment Walter, Same to you 🙂
    Carrie
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Thank you for your post and reflecting upon your hard work and initiative, knowing that if you give your best good things will come. We are new investors and have felt a passion for learning and possibilities. I think all people all inherently creative and through this imagination, vision, and of course, action, your goals will come to fruition. All the best in 2015 and beyond.
    Carrie Hallensleben Investor from Kansas City, Missouri
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Thank you for your post and reflecting upon your hard work and initiative, knowing that if you give your best, good things will come. We are new investors and have felt a passion for learning and possibilities. I think all people all inherently creative and through this imagination, vision, and of course, action, your goals will come to fruition. All the best in 2015 and beyond.
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Hi Carrie, Thanks for your comment. That’s all we can do. Just give our utmost best every single time. Happy NY 🙂
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Thanks Lissa, Happy NY.
    Jeff Arndt Investor from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Replied over 5 years ago
    I have committed my time and energy to physically rehabbing a house myself (and a lot of help from others). There is a lot of talk about outsourcing on the site and working “on” your business and not “in” your business. However this article really hits home. I used what I had ‘this year’ to keep moving forward. I am producing results with the talents that I have and that is what I gave my 100% to this year. Next year I plan to give 100% towards expanding and completing another deal as the project manager only. Thank you for the timely well written post! Your positive attitude is evident in your writing and is very contagious!
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Hi Jeff, Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated. Always, ALWAYS give it your best 🙂 Keep the dream alive.
    Thoran W. Menser Rental Property Investor from Gaithersburg, MD
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Engelo Thank you, your thought helped me add clarity to my thoughts and goals for next year. Spending time on the simple tasks while keeping focused on the larger picture. Your words will help me greatly going forward!
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Replied over 2 years ago
    Thanks for your kind words Thoran and I’m super glad you found my blog useful, I wish you much success