Real Estate News & Commentary

Evicted Tenant Threatens Landlord With a Machete (Seriously)

Expertise: Landlording & Rental Properties, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Real Estate Investing Basics, Business Management, Flipping Houses, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Real Estate Wholesaling, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing, AskBP
machete

TULSA, Oklahoma – It started with a tuxedo shop. Or at least that is what the tenant claimed when he moved in. But rather than tuxedos, the tenant allegedly moved in numerous wanted fugitives, crack pipes, syringes, and mountains of trash.

Webinar PNG(Hey… you… pardon this interruption, but I wanted to invite you to a special real estate webinar I’m doing THIS week for BiggerPockets titled “How a Newbie Can Start Building Wealth Through Real Estate.” If you can make it this Thursday, I’d love to see you there for this live, free training! Click here to register or learn more. Now… back to this crazy story!)

According to Channel 6 News in Tulsa, the tenants had just been evicted from the property when property manager “Carl” came to change the locks, as landlords do after an eviction. However, when he arrived at the property, the former tenants pulled up, jumped out of the car and threatened the landlord; one of those individuals was allegedly waving around a large machete.

Related: How to Evict a Tenant: The Definitive Step by Step Guide

Sam immediately called the police, who came to the property and arrested the ex-tenants.

In the video below (image will link to Channel 6’s news page), you can see Carl give the reporter a tour of the property, showing the vast devastation caused by the tenants. Rather than running a tuxedo shop, it appears the tenant instead moved in numerous individuals whom the police recognized as having warrants. You can see broken mirrors, large amounts of clothes strewn all over the building, and most of the doors and door jams ripped completely from the walls.

Eviction Tenant Machette

Could this have been prevented?

I’d like to hear your thoughts! Leave your comment below on how YOU would have prevented or handled this situation.

Let’s blow these comments up with suggestions from the BiggerPockets community!

(Finally… be sure to share this post on your Facebook!)

Brandon Turner is an active real estate investor, entrepreneur, writer, and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast. He began buying rental properties and flipping houses at age 21, discovering he didn’t need to work 40 years at a corporate job to have “the good life.” Today, with nearly 100 rental units and dozens of rehabs under his belt, he continues to invest in real estate while also showing others the power, and impact, of financial freedom. His writings have been featured on Forbes.com, Entrepreneur.com, FoxNews.com, Money Magazine, and numerous other publications across the web and in print media. He is the author of The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down, The Book on Rental Property Investing, and co-author of The Book on Managing Rental Properties, which he wrote alongside his wife, Heather, and How to Invest in Real Estate, which he wrote alongside Joshua Dorkin. A life-long adventurer, Brandon (along with Heather and daughter Rosie) splits his time between his home in Washington State and various destinations around the globe.

Karen Rittenhouse Flipper/Rehabber from Greensboro, NC
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Shit can happen no matter how careful you are. (Sorry, Brandon, can I say that on BiggerPockets? As a landlord, it gets used a lot.) Where oh where is Tony Soprano when you need him?!?
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Lol. Yeah, you can say that when it’s true 😉
    Jay C. from Seattle, Washington
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Here is how I would have handled it. Lets set the stage “According to Channel 6 News in Tulsa, the tenants had just been evicted from the property when property manager “Carl” came to change the locks, as landlords do after an eviction. However, when he arrived at the property, the former tenants pulled up, jumped out of the car and threatened the landlord; one of those individuals was allegedly waving around a large machete.” Thats when the landlord drew his weapon and shot the ex tenant dead in self defense. Lesson here. Never rent to any party with out a background/criminal check which this landlord clearly did not do.
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This made me laugh out loud, Jay. I like your ending – i think that would stop more machete incidents 😉
    Orlando Paz Investor in the making from Orlando, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    My dad owned several apartment buildings in a fairly tough part of Miami. Although he never experienced that type of aggression, he always made it a point to carry a gun with him (just in case). As it related to this story, this nutcase might have had second thoughts about bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Just to add an awesome note to this story… my wife just read it and said “We should send the landlord a yellow letter…” I love my wife. 🙂
    Mehran K. Investor from Wichita Falls, TX
    Awesome! LOL
    Tom Phelan Real Estate Investor from Miami, Florida
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I wish there were more derails about the eviction process such as time (how long) and costs. Did the Landlord have clauses in his lease about how many, if any, people could live in the unit. Was the use of the unit clearly spelled out etc. Was there a laying “waste” clause in the lease etc. My biggest concern would be not having the unit labeled a “crack house” or “Meth lab” nd condemned.
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Agreed! Maybe we can find the guy and get him on the #AskBP Podcast 🙂
    Vania Castillo Investor from New York City, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Probably that nightmare could had been avoided by running a background/criminal check and getting references frompast landlords. I’m sure that landlord will sell you at a big descount, Brandon;)
    Brandon Turner Investor from Maui, HI
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I think I would agree. I can’t imagine that the guy had a clean record – if the news reporters discovered his illegal background so easily.
    Charles Worth Investor from New York City, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    They probably could not get another unit that is why they went with an office property. I assume the background checks are less stringent on the people themselves because I doubt there are nearly as many instances of people living in offices as a crack den.
    Ben Leybovich Rental Property Investor from Lima/Chandler, Ohio/Arizona
    Replied over 4 years ago
    When I tell you that I don’t like real estate, I mean it. It’s a means to an end, but it in many cases it’s not even that…
    Roy N. Rental Property Investor from Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Ben, Unless you run it like this fellow … then it (real estate) becomes an end to means.
    Angel Rosado from Bronx, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This is one of those horror stories that you hope you never gave to deal with. This is a fear of mine…getting a bad tenant who destroys the place. I have to say when the news anchor said that one of the individuals had a criminal background from 2003 that shouldve been found in the tenant screening process.
    Tim Hoffman Investor from Rockford, Illinois
    Replied over 4 years ago
    He thought it was going to be a tuxedo shop? Did he go to the prior place of business? Sounds like he did not do any type of background check. Financial verification? This guy must be a newbie and not a member of BP.
    Gabe Lopez Real Estate Agent from Lansing, MI - Michigan
    Replied over 4 years ago
    This story reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of This American Life called ‘The Super’. It’s the reverse of this situation where the landlord and ‘Super’ are the violent ones. It’s one of those almost to crazy to be true stories. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/323/the-super
    John D. from Fremont, California
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Assuming you run a background check and it comes clean; how do you still avoid this situation? I heard that you can periodically visit the apartment but on what grounds?
    David Cook Real Estate Investor from Nashville, Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    I love stories like this because it keeps would be competition from investing.
    Russell Brazil Real Estate Agent from Rockville, MD
    Replied almost 4 years ago
    A good reason I have a PO Box as the mailing address for all my rental activities.