Business Management

Business Retreats: Why They’re Majorly Beneficial & 3 Things to Focus on While You’re Away [Video!]

Expertise: Real Estate Investing Basics, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Landlording & Rental Properties, Business Management, Personal Development, Flipping Houses, Commercial Real Estate
business-retreat

Hey BP! This week my video is dedicated to that super beneficial activity that some of you may not be utilizing: the business retreat! It’s so important to take some time away from working IN your business and get away to work ON your business. Need more reasons why to take them and ideas of what to do? In this video, I let you know why I utilize retreats and review three essential areas of focus for any successful retreat.

Related: The 6 Things You NEED to Train Your Real Estate Team Successfully

Do you take retreats in your business or want to start taking them? What would be the most important question to ask on your retreat?

Leave some comments and let’s get a convo going!

Matt Faircloth, co-founder and president of the DeRosa Group, is a seasoned real estate investor. The DeRosa Group, based in historic Trenton, New Jersey, i...
    Donald Capwell Rental Property Investor from COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great reminder to keep first things first. So many focus on executing that they forget to plan, and reviewing what has worked and what has not helps to form the plan… Otherwise we’ll just keep making the same “mistakes” that will eventually derail our future success. Your example of how your son changed your goals is an excellent one, and there are personal and professional “babies” that enter into our lives all the time. Good stuff, and the extended time away with partners and family also helps build stronger teams (relationally).
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Donald, I love your points. It’s about constant course correction – action, reflection, correction, repeat! So what has come up in your business to cause course correction? Matt
    Engelo Rumora Specialist from Toledo, OH
    Good one mate, I like it. Much success in 2016. See you soon 😉
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Hey Engelo! Thanks. Happy New Year to you and your family. Speak soon, Matt
    Vania Castillo Investor from New York City, New York
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Matt, Great advise!!!! I have not thought about the importance of “getting away” for your business. Thank you for bringing up the topic. That is something that I’m going to incorporate in my personal life as well as in this new chapter in my life as a businesswoman in 2016. Best wishes and success in 2016 and here you have someone constantly cheering for you!! Vania
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Vania, Thanks for reading and the comment. Glad to hear that you are looking to implement the retreat concept. Any thing specific you plan to focus on this year? Matt
    Kevin Izquierdo from Hillside, New Jersey
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great idea to actually reflect on your business and goals in a peaceful neutral place. I will definitely be adding that to my to do list 🙂
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Kevin, Thanks for the comment! I get the most clarity from being in nature. Put it in your calendar and it will happen. We have our monthly 1/2 day unplugs scheduled also. Good luck! Matt
    Erik Nowacki Investor from San Diego and Memphis, California and Tennessee
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hi Matt, Thanks for getting my mind moving in the right direction. I do goal setting and a lot of reflection on where I am and where I’m going. The problem has been to get my wife on the same page. Sometimes I feel like I’m pulling her along, instead of both of us pulling in the same direction. We’re booked for a cruise to Alaska this summer and we have a couple of days at sea. You inspired me to create a curriculum to get us both on the same page. We’ll be in a place where we have no obligations, interrupting phonecalls or needing to cook. It willbe the perfect setting. Thanks again for raising the topic. Erik
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Erik, it’s so important to have your spouse on the same page in this business. I wrote a few articles about how to do it, so did my wife Liz – you should check them out! A few thoughts… Fist and foremost make sure your wife is connected to the WHY you are in business. Beyond making money – what are you going to do with it? What type of lifestyle does real estate investing create for you and your wife and family? Make sure she is enrolled and that you are both excited and fully committed to this business. It is imperative. I know a few people that are investing with out the buy in of their spouse, but they don’t make it very far. Once you do that, I love the Alaska cruise idea for a business retreat model (Maybe you can write part of it off, LOL!). You need to do some meetings with her between now and then though. Get her input on the agenda / curriculum to make sure her needs are met too. And if you start having regular business minded meetings with her she will be used to having this in the rotation of “things you two do together”. I hope all that helps!! Matt
    Vicki Gleitz from bennett, colorado
    Replied over 4 years ago
    As an autistic activist, I coordinate an autistic retreat once a year in the mountains in Colorado. We relax, have fun, and work on ideas for the Autistic intentional Community we are in the early stages in Pueblo. in between incredible food and a blind-folded golf cart rodeo, we figure out funding, build Autistic culture, share talents, attend workshops, and truly change our lives from dreams to realities. Retreats are the bomb
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Vicki, They are, in fact, the bomb. What is blind-folded golf cart rodeo?!? I would love to hear more about that LOL. It sounds like your organization is up to really great stuff, congrats! Some folks that have relationships with Not for Profits like you do are actually in the real estate investing business to generate a philanthropy for their not for profit. Kind of a “Robin Hood” thing. Is that your path also? Matt
    Richard G. Investor from Alexandria, Virginia
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Yes indeed, “nature” is a benefit for all of us to enjoy and reflect on life and our thoughts. We, or at least I, get caught up in the daily and weekly hustle and lose track of time. In my W2 job I get certain days a month and year of vacation but catch myself always working on my vacation. You make some good points about a business retreat and definitely caught my attention for future vacations/retreats to come! Take care Matt —
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Richard, Good to hear from you. Come to think of it, taking a Retreat makes sense wheither you are a business owner or not! It pays to get out of your normal day to day space and reflect – thinking about the activity you are involved in versus doing them. Even though you are a W2, give it a shot! Get out in the woods with a journal. You never know what will come up! Take care, Matt
    Andrey Y. Specialist from Seoul Korea | Honolulu, HI
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Great video! And good idea. Also, I think just or even more important are 1-2 week retreats where you don’t think or talk about your business 😉
    Matt Faircloth Rental Property Investor from Trenton, NJ
    Replied over 4 years ago
    Hey Audrey, Glad you enjoyed. 1 to 2 weeks away with no business talk – Sound like a Vacation, LOL! It’s very important to take those too, not for the benefit of the busines but for many other benefits of course! What’s great about being an entrepreneur / real estate investor is that if I setup solid systems and processes I can go on getaways anytime I want and things keep running! Matt