Anna Li moved to America from Uzbekistan when she was 22. On today’s episode, she shares the opportunities she’s been presented with—and taken advantage of—from an opportunity to learn at the first non-government university in Uzbekistan that partnered with an American College (essentially allowing her to earn the equivalent of an American degree) to picking up and moving to a new country to start a new life.
Though she was a financial analyst in Uzbekistan, the language barrier prevented her from getting a job in her field in her new country. Newly married, she took a job at a shoe store while her husband delivered pizzas.
Finally, she was able to secure a position in finance with Vanguard. It took five years to work her way up from analyst to team lead. She switched firms and is now a director for an international pharmaceutical company.
After every opportunity, she thought, “I’ve made it.” But instead of sitting there comfortably, she continued to pursue more—a better job, a promotion, a transfer.
When her husband’s last company closed, instead of finding a new job, they took this as an opportunity to begin investing in real estate. Her job offered a transfer to Switzerland—a three-year stint that came with a hefty raise and almost all expenses paid by the company, allowing them to ramp up their savings to pay for more houses. Plus, her husband flips long distance with her dad, another source of revenue.
Anna also shares a few unique tips for paying for child care and college—and you’re going to want to stick around for those! This episode is packed with information, and Anna’s journey will inspire you.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
If you’ve been thinking about getting a SimpliSafe – Home Security System, but have been
waiting for the holidays when all the tech deals come out—you’ve made a smart move! If you go to SimpliSafe.com/bpmoney you’ll get 25% off any new system. That’s an amazing deal.
They rarely do anything like this but they’re doing it just for us!
Until now, air purifiers have attempted to collect pollutants on filters where they can multiply and be released back into the air. Welcome to a whole new air purification experience—unobtrusive, portable, and 100% effective. From the inside out, Molekule has reimagined what clean air ought to look and feel like.
Visit Molekule and enter the promo code: money
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Ana’s journey with money began
- How she went from stable environment to chaos
- How her dad instilled an entrepreneurial spirit
- The story of starting a soda business
- Why she borrowed $3,000 from parents and moved to U.S.
- Their money evolution
- What their wealth accumulation looks like a year after they migrated
- What happened the year after they lived with their parents
- A discussion on thinking only of surviving and not having exact goals for the first couple of years as immigrants
- What their experience was like living with relatives
- How they weathered the 2008 financial crisis
- The daycare hack Anna figured out
- How her husband got interested in real estate and decided on flipping
- How she discovered financial independence
- The benefits of expat jobs
- What a Solo 401k really means
- Hacking college
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 50: Rebuilding Your Financial Life After Bankruptcy with Patrice Washington
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 59: Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) with Scott Rieckens
- Real Estate University
- BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 01: The Surprising (Scientific) Truth Behind What Makes You Successful with Mr. Money Mustache
- Mr. Money Mustache
- BiggerPockets Podcast 311: 6 Rules for Investing in Real Estate in the Coming Economic Shift with J Scott
- Our Rich Journey
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 55: How to Quit Your Job and Travel the World with Millennial Revolution
- Millennial Revolution
- BiggerPockets Podcast 268: Acquiring 20 Long-Distance Rental Homes (on a Military Salary!) with Rich Carey
Books Mentioned in this Show
- “You can take any disadvantage and turn it into an advantage.” (Tweet This!)
- “If life has taught me anything, it’s that anything can happen.” (Tweet This!)
- “It’s not about stopping working; it’s about doing what I want to do.” (Tweet This!)
- “No matter what life throws at you, everything is possible.” (Tweet This!)