Would your real estate investing business benefit from better negotiating tactics? Of course it would!
On today’s show, Brandon and David sit down with J and Carol Scott, as well as Mark Ferguson, co-authors of the new BiggerPockets book The Book on Negotiating Real Estate. The authors discuss several powerful negotiating strategies, plus common misconceptions about negotiating, how “winning” in negotiating doesn’t always mean the other side is losing, and how the best deals are done through building rapport (with examples of how to do just that).
You won’t want to miss their tips on how to prepare for a negotiation beforehand—something that’s made them hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years—and how to negotiate with your own contractor to get the best prices possible!
This episode is full of advice to help you, the investor, save money and get deals. If you want to experience better results getting what YOU want out of a deal, download this one today!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Sharestates is America’s private lender. We fund fix-and-flip, ground-up, term, and refinance projects nationwide across all asset classes: residential, multifamily, mixed-use, commercial and land. Sharestates offers high loan-to-value funding at competitive rates and quick closings. Broker and correspondent lending programs are offered as well.
Request a quote today, visit biggerpockets.com/sharestates.
Deep Dive Sponsor
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
If you go to SimpliSafe.com/biggerpockets you’ll get 25% off any new system. That’s an amazing deal.
They rarely do anything like this but they’re doing it just for us!
Fire Round Sponsor
WizeHire is an online recruiting service that fuses recruiting software with the personal service of a hiring coach to help you find the best candidates for the job. They do all the heavy lifting for you so you can stay focused on what’s important.
Visit WizeHire today!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Introducing J, Carol, and Mark
- Common misconceptions about negotiating
- How winning doesn’t always mean the other side losing
- The right mindset when it comes to negotiating
- How building rapport can get you deals
- Learning to shift the negotiation off of price and into something else
- Tips in preparing for your negotiation beforehand
- Negotiating with your contractor to get the best deal possible
- The tip that’s made them hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years
- How they closed on a deal using negotiating tactics to lower the price on an already great deal
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- Brandon’s Instagram
- Be a Podcast Guest
- BiggerPockets Podcast 311: 6 Rules for Investing in Real Estate in the Coming Economic Shift with J Scott
- BiggerPockets Podcast 010 : Flipping Houses 101 with J Scott
- BiggerPockets Podcast 068: Being a Superhero House Flipper, Investor, and Team Leader with Mark Ferguson
- The Best Ever Conference
- BiggerPockets Podcast 189: 500 Deals, the $100,000 Wholesale Paycheck, & the Systems That Make it Work with Tarl Yarber
Books Mentioned in this Show
- BRRRR by David Greene
- The Book on Flipping Houses by J. Scott
- The Book on Negotiating Real Estate by J. Scott, Mark Ferguson, and Carol Scott
- Moneyball by Michael Lewis
- The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner
- Long-Distance Real Estate Investing by David Greene
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
- Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham
- Too Perfect by Jeannette Dewyze & Allan Mallinger
- The ONE Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- “90% of negotiation is literally the skills all of us already have.” (Tweet This!)
- “Treat every conversation as a discussion as opposed to as a questionnaire.” (Tweet This!)
- “Negotiate everything, always.” (Tweet This!)
- “The person who cares the least has the most power.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with J and Carol
- J and Carol Scott’s Website
- J’s BiggerPockets Profile
- Carol’s BiggerPockets Profile
- J’s Facebook Profile
- J’s Twitter Profile
Connect with Mark
In this bonus episode, co-authors Carol and J Scott read from Chapter 5: Seller Motivation and Leverage. This passage reveals the exact questions the authors ask sellers, and how to “aggressively listen” for valuable information — even when making casual conversation. Plus, Carol and J do some investor/seller role-playing.
Order “The Book on Negotiating Real Estate” today at www.BiggerPockets.com/NegotiatingBook; you can get a physical copy, eBook, or audio version (that one is read by professional narrators) — OR just get the Ultimate package, which includes everything, PLUS access to two live Q&A webinars with Carol and J, two bonus videos, and a Quick Reference Guide with the top negotiating tips and tricks from the book.
Enjoy this sneak peek!