Landlording & Rental Properties

21 Forms You May Need if You’re Managing Your Own Rentals

Expertise: Landlording & Rental Properties, Personal Development, Real Estate News & Commentary, Business Management, Flipping Houses, Mortgages & Creative Financing, Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice, Real Estate Wholesaling, Personal Finance, Real Estate Marketing, AskBP, Real Estate Investing Basics
588 Articles Written

If you'll be managing your own rental properties, it's a good idea to pull together all the forms you'll need to do so. I recommend getting a small file cabinet and some file folders and putting five copies of each form in the file cabinet. This way, when you suddenly need a lease, application, or other form, you'll won't have to go digging to find it.

Want more articles like this?

Create an account today to get BiggerPocket's best blog articles delivered to your inbox

Sign up for free

If you are more comfortable with tech-related solutions, you could also place all the forms “in the cloud” using a service like Google Drive. Google Drive is a free, online cloud-based storage system that integrates with the rest of the Google platform. You can create folders and upload forms there, which means you can access them anywhere. The benefit of this, of course, is the ability to retrieve a form even if you are not home.

If you are using computerized property management software, you may also have the ability to sign most forms directly on a smartphone or tablet, eliminating the need for paper forms altogether. But taking inventory of what you have and what you’ll need would still be a good idea.


Related: How to Use the Disposition of Deposit as a Landlord [With Sample Form!]

21 Forms You May Need if You’re Managing Your Own Rentals

At minimum, I recommend gathering the following, along with any other forms required by your state, county, or city:

  1. Application
  2. Rental Minimum Qualifications Form
  3. Month-to-Month Lease
  4. Annual Lease
  5. Three-Day Notice to Pay or Quit (or Five-Day Notice or whatever your state requires)
  6. A Deposit to Hold Agreement
  7. Property Rules and Regulations
  8. Adverse Action Notice (explaining why someone was turned down)
  9. Notice for Landlord or Maintenance to Enter a Unit
  10. The Lead-Based Paint Packet
  11. 10-Day Notice (or whatever other notice your state allows for this purpose.) to Comply
  12. 20- or 30-Day Notice to End Tenancy (as allowed by your state)
  13. Move-Out Packet (explaining the move-out process for tenants)
  14. Cleaning Expectations
  15. New Tenant Checklist
  16. Move-In & Move-Out Condition Report
  17. New Owner Announcement Form
  18. Pet Addendum
  19. Tenant Reference Questionnaire
  20. Disposition of Deposit
  21. Mold and Mildew Disclosure Form

Landlords: Any other forms that you’ve found useful?

Leave your input below!

Brandon Turner is an active real estate investor, entrepreneur, writer, and co-host of the BiggerPockets Podcast. He is a nationally recognized leader in the real estate education space and has tau...
Read more
    Account Closed from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Replied about 3 years ago
    When our tenants broke the lease earlier without any written 60 days notice we used Property Surrender Form to make sure the date of moving out was documented. This way we could mark the beginning of 30 days desposition of deposit period.
    Gordon Eisenberg
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Your articles are great Brandon. I am getting ready to do another year lease with my tenant who has rented from me for many years at under market rates. I actually would like to offer the tenant an opportunity to buy my home perhaps with a down payment and owner finance since the house is free and clear. Hopefully this is what happens, but if not I will want to list my property with an agent. If this happens after this new lease begins am I obligated to allow the tenant to stay until the lease ends or can I give a certain amount of notice the tenant must vacate?
    Sylvia B. Rental Property Investor from Douglas County, MO
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Do not offer a year’s lease if you are putting the house up for sale. Change it to a month-to-month rental agreement. Then you can give 30, or in some states, 60 days notice to the tenant.
    Gordon Eisenberg
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Thank you Sylvia, I believe the HOA requires a one year lease. I will check. If they do I was told to put a clause that if I intend to sell the home the tenants must make it available to show and that I would give a 60 day notice after the closing.
    Becky Kromminga Investor from Katy, TX
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Anyone have samples of these forms?
    Jason Kempfer from Mesa, Arizona
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Yes also looking for samples/templates! ???
    Frank Schwarz from Gila Bend, Arizona
    Replied about 3 years ago
    You can Google for samples, but def. get a lawyer to make sure they will work for your situation.
    Sherazad Mehta from Hoboken, NJ
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Is there samples of these forms on the website?
    Jerry Rien Rental Property Investor from Scottsbluff, NE
    Replied about 3 years ago
    some of these forms can be found in the tools tab, fileplace, then forms, you will get a list of available forms. Don’t know if all of them are there though.
    Carol Kohn from Springtown, TX
    Replied about 3 years ago
    All of these sample forms are available if you buy Brandons book.
    Account Closed Rental Property Investor from Johnstown, PA
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Wow, isn’t that convenient.
    Johan Praats
    Replied about 3 years ago
    What, you don’t think that it is fair for Brandon to make his forms available only if you buy his book? What else do you expect for free?
    Account Closed Rental Property Investor from Johnstown, PA
    Replied about 3 years ago
    I think it’s convenient that Brandon writes a book, then writes an article that conveniently re-iterates those points. That is smart and convenient, and it will surely drive sales of the book, won’t it?
    Tyler F. Real Estate Investor from Seattle, Washington
    Replied about 3 years ago
    Rental housing association of WA has very good forms that I use here in Seattle. It is worth joining just to see the forms. If anyone know of a similar source for CO forms, please share. I just purchased a 4-plex in CO and need help finding CO specific forms so I don’t have to butcher the WA forms, if they are in Spanish and English even better.
    Justin Bush
    Replied 6 months ago
    I recently purchased and read your book. Great book! However I was unable to download the forms off Bigger Pockets. Do you have any advice on how to download them?