First-Time Home Buyer

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Wexler
Votes |
Thoughts on representing self as Buyers Agent

Jesse Wexler
Posted Aug 11 2022, 11:15

I have been looking for a primary residence in Brooklyn NY for the past 7 months or so.  5 offers with my last broker, nothing to show for it except a lease ending and living out of my girlfriends parents place for the time being.  I am going to see a property this weekend, and I posed the idea to the sellers agent or her representing both sides, as that would give more room to negotiate as the buyers agent half of the commission disappears.   She doesnt like the idea of doing that as it can inherently create a conflict of interest, and I respect that.

She posed to me that I could just represent myself.  My thoughts are that the role of the buyers agent up here is to negotiate and that's it.  My real estate attorney handles everything else, whether with a broker or not.  No previous agent has brought me an off market deal, so everything is on street easy, and I found the unit in question myself.   Am an in idiot for taking this approach?  Am I missing anything that I should be aware of?  I come from a sales background and now I own and operate a home care business, I have the utmost confidence to negotiate on my own behalf.  Thanks BP friends! 

Loading replies...