Votes
Matt Longfellow
  • Upper Arlngtn, OH
Votes |
First Time Duplex Investor & Cash Flow

Matt Longfellow
  • Upper Arlngtn, OH
Posted Jan 22 2021, 11:14

Hey all! I'm looking to invest in my first duplex in Columbus, OH and am currently going through the pre-approval process to see what I'll qualify for. That said, my initial thought was to purchase a duplex as an owner occupant and rent the other half to hopefully get all expenses covered. As I've started analyzing properties, I'm realizing it may be difficult to see positive cash flow/ROI on a duplex if I'm living in it as well.

I have seen properties where, according to the calculator, I'll be able to "break even" cash flow wise, but I also won't be paying any rent myself. I currently pay about $712/mo in rent where I live, so I'm wondering how to factor that into the equation when I'm considering an investment property since even if I break even on a property, I'll still be saving that rent money on a month to month basis. 

I guess my question boils down to this: what are the advantages (if any) of owner occupant vs. simply buying and renting both halves out to tenants? Just want to make sure I'm fully informed before making any decisions! 

Thanks in advance! 

Loading replies...