• Realtor
  • Erie Co
Votes |
Great way to lower your mortgage!!

Brandon Elliott
  • Realtor
  • Erie Co
Posted Jul 15 2022, 09:05

For all my fellow House hackers. Did you know you can pay off your PMI early and not need to pay it in your monthly payments??... Let's jump into how to do it! First, I wanted to pay it forward and share my personal story. Again, it's one of the cheapest ways to lower your mortgage and save money over the life of your loan!!

When I house hacked my first rental property I asked my lender if I could pay off my PMI in one lump sum vs paying it over the period of the loan. Now most of us know that after 20%-22% (depending on your lender) your PMI drops off but seems like not everyone knows you can pay your PMI in one lump sum!!

I paid a little over $5,000 to pay off my PMI in one sum vs paying it every month until the loans value reached 20%. With the amortization I ended up saving over $10,000 using this small tweak!!! If you have the cash, up front, to pay the PMI in one lump sum it could save you big time and help your cashflow!

Now, not all lenders allow for this to happen so be sure to ask before deciding on a lender. Hopefully this helps my fellow house hackers!!! Please upvote if you feel this will help out!!

Loading replies...