Votes |
What does Virginia call Tax Sales?

Daniel Segovia
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Mar 21 2020, 16:28

Hello BP Family.

I am an investor in Ohio but I became interested in tax sales in Virginia, especially in the Hampton Roads area.  I used to lived there many years ago and I still have ties to the town.

Sales in Ohio are executed by the County's Sheriff and they are typically called Tax Sales. I can go to almost any Sheriff and I will find a list of properties. 

In Virginia it appears to be a huge difference. I read that Virginia's state law labels it as "Judicial Sale of Real Property" but not every county or town calls it that way. I also read that all sales are at the physical address of the property for auction. Is this true?

Also, where can I find a list of properties for Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, and Newport News? It looks like every city has its own method as they were their own counties, but the information is not clear or easily available. It is not clear to me who is doing the actual sale. Are these cities using private auctioneers such as auction.com, foreclosure.com or do they use private law firms?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks BP Fam..

Loading replies...