Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Travis Hatch
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Rent By Room: one room is way colder than the rest (Denver)

Travis Hatch
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jan 12 2021, 09:16

Hey guys! First, thanks for your consideration, I have gotten so much help from this forum it's amazing.

I have 2 rental properties in Denver Co, and I do rent by the room. one of my properties faces north and south (I learned my lesson, in CO definitely buy something that faces east and west if you can)

This has caused a number of issues, but the one i'm working on now is one of the rooms is 5-10 degrees colder than the rest. I noticed because my electrical bill was very high and I learned that they were using space heaters, which was also tripping the breaker.

I've added sensors in each room to my smart thermostat "eco bee" and when I checked yesterday it was 59 in that room and 68-81 in the other rooms... I changed the fan to run constantly and that has leveled it out a bit but it looks like (with the door closed which it needs to be) that room sits around 63 and the other bedrooms around 68-70, with the living room at like 73+.

That room is the most north facing, and only has 1 vent in it while a lot of the other rooms have at least 2 vents.

Space heaters seem to be very pricey since I cover utilities and my electrician said not to use them as it's a fire hazard and trips the breaker.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Getting a 2nd vent in there would probably be out of the question so what are the other simple solutions?

Hard wire some sort of "space heater" into that room on it's own circuit?

Thank you very much!

Loading replies...