Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Boerup
  • New to Real Estate
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
Repair requirement or tenant preference?

Spencer Boerup
  • New to Real Estate
  • Tucson, AZ
Posted Jun 12 2022, 10:26

I just had a new tenant move in (2b/2ba townhome, modest quality). They were far and above the best candidates but are only signed for 1 year as they just moved to my area for school and they want to maintain some flexibility as they are new to the area. They have been great in communication and background and credit check were perfect. 

After 1 day in they sent an email with photos of the inside of the kitchen cabinets, specifically some of the shelves. The shelves inside some of the cabinet doors are bowing in the middle. The cabinets are not new and not top grade and probably more than 20 years old. They're not terrible but they're not awesome, either. They also noticed in an outdoor carport garage (where laundry appliances are located) that some of those shelves are bowing, too. 

They requested these be replaced as the dishes "slide around". The previous tenants were there 2 years (homeowners in another area, relocated for temporary work requirement) and never had any issues with the property, and never anything with the kitchen.

The current tenants have never been homeowners and are younger, so their experience with what a landlord should fix out of preference vs what they are required to fix out of obligation is probably a gray area for them.

I am simply trying to verify that this repair request is a preference and not a legal requirement for health/sanitation or safety reasons. From my understanding of AZ law, the landlord is required to keep the property sanitary and clean (like with water supply, drainage, ventilation, appliances functioning, no mold, etc.). There isn't a possibility of danger nor risk of unsanitary conditions because some of the shelves in the cabinets are not flat or level.

To me, the shelves are there for convenience and not requirement, nor do they pose a safety hazard in their current state. With that said, it they place items on them and they crack or brake, I believe that is where the gray area may exist in their mind as to who is responsible.

I'd appreciate any guidance or insight on how to best respond. While on one hand, I am a responsible and generous landlord and prefer to treat good tenants well so that they continue to renew. But, I'm also hesitant to replace something that simply isn't to a standard they might have a preference for "better" and then set a precedent for future repair requests.

Loading replies...