Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Ty Tucker
Votes |
Inheriting a bad tenant

Ty Tucker
Posted Aug 4 2022, 06:21

I am seeking advice from more experienced investors in regards to what to do in my current situation with inheriting a bad tenant. I am under contract to purchase a duplex to house hack. The seller does not want to give the current tenant a notice to vacate until the deal closes due to the amount of deals that have been falling through, which I understand. However, the tenant has completely wrecked the unit they occupy. Multiple cats and a dog that are all pooping and peeing everywhere inside. It was disgusting. The gnats were really bad also. There was junk and clutter everywhere. I would like to close on the property with that unit vacant and deep cleaned. The seller has a soft spot for the tenant because she is a single mom with 3 teenage boys. I do not want to close on this property and then immediately go to court. I do not have a large amount of cash reserves either, so it is quite risky. The property is in an amazing location and the numbers are great though. Besides the tenant situation, the seller has agreed to pretty much everything and is doing a lot of repairs to the property, some that aren't even needed. 

All advice is appreciated, thank you!

Loading replies...