• Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Tenants Water Bill is Outrageous!

Tyler Warner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Aug 16 2022, 09:14

Hello, Happy Tuesday! Here is the situation I currently find myself in!!

My Tenants are excellent meaning they pay everything on time and have treated my rental like their own. I got a call from them 2 weeks ago claiming that their water bill came in double what previous months have been. For reference its about $500 just due to water. I have done a thorough walkthrough of my property and have detected no leaks as of now, but we have not brought out a plumber yet! My tenants have contacted City of Austin to reread the meter and ensure that there are no leaks on their end. We just heard that there was no leak detected on their end and meter reading was accurate. Now, the city is threatening to turn off their utilities because they are late on the $500 water bill.

In this situation, How would you handle this as a Landlord? Is it worth it being added to the utility bill as the owner of the home so that I can call and talk with Austin Water (dont know if that's possible)? But I also dont want to be liable for unpaid bills as well. Do you think that a plumber needs to come out to ensure that there are no leaks? Any recommendations would be very helpful!! Thanks

Loading replies...