Short Sale!! How Do it Work

4 Replies

I have a owner who want to sell their home but their home is worth less than what they owe. How do they short sell their home to me?

You will most likely need get a real estate agent involved who is familiar with the not so short process. Some banks will only talk with a broker.  You would need a written purchase agreement that will need to be sent to the bank for review to get the process started. 

In addition to a real estate agent, you also have the option of contacting attorneys who are familiar with the short sale process.

Regardless of which way you go, I would find someone who can give you solid references of short sales they have done previously.  You don't want to choose someone who doesn't have the experience because that can extend the short sale process more than is necessary.

Echoing @Mark Ferguson, you need the house listed (not by yourself, please...) and in this case, try not to go under contract on the day the listing is released.  These are easy red flags to banks which you could have easily avoided.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.