Allie LaPonte
  • Florida
Votes |
Rental & Short Sale

Allie LaPonte
  • Florida
Posted Mar 7 2009, 16:31

Hello Everyone!
My name is Allie and I live in Miami FL. I'm hoping that someone will be able to answer my questions. The place that I'm renting recently went up for "Short Sale". I only found out cuz someone came by and asked if I was the new owner, which prompted me to call my LL. She then told me they had recently put the place up for "Short Sale"...Is it legal for her to do this? Also, she did not put my deposit into a Escrow acct. (non-yielding acct.? is that right?), anyway she didn't put it in the acct. which I'm pretty sure is a law here. She instead used the money for who knows what, she said for repairs here but I've never seen her come thru with any of the needed repairs. So I know I'm NOT going to get my deposit back. Okay, now I think I'm starting to rant....Sorry...My questions are; Is it legal for her to put her house up for Short Sale while I'm still in it? (I do have a one year lease) and Where is my money going if she's not making the payments on this place? and lastly What can I do about my deposit? Anything? or am I going to have to eat the loss? My friend said skip the last months rent and don't use her as a reference. Please help me...I just don't want to be out on the street suddenly and I don't think she's going to let me break the lease...Thank you!

Loading replies...