Skip to content
1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Barbato
  • Developer
  • San Francisco
Votes |
How do I accept 1031 money into my syndication then refi later?

Anthony Barbato
  • Developer
  • San Francisco
Posted Sep 29 2019, 20:26

Hello,

How do I accept 1031 exchange money into my syndication and have the flexibility to refinance in 6 months?

We are putting together a syndication on a $15.8M portfolio of assisted living facilities in Northern California with a 10% cap rate.

We are raising $5M in equity and we are talking with our first investor for the deal. They are identifying a property for a 1031 exchange and are interested in our deal.

I understand that the conventional method of syndicating with the Op Co Prop Co setup in separate LLC's does not work with 1031 exchanges because the investor is investing in the company, not the real estate. Instead, the Delaware Statutory Trust gives the investor a fraction of the title, and because of this, it is considered like kind and it works with 1031 exchanges.

We are going to close on the $15.8M portfolio with a bridge loan, and refinance into a HUD loan in 6 months. This is a problem with the DST, because you cannot refinance once you structure a deal under the DST.

Herein lies the question: How can I accept 1031 exchange money into my syndication and have the flexibility to refinance in 6 months?

Thank you