Weng L.
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Max out HELOC before sell then 1031?

Weng L.
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jan 6 2021, 12:36

Hi All,

Will maxing out HELOC before selling exiting property cause 1031 to be denied by IRS? HUD-1 only shows the amount used to pay off 1st mortgage and 2nd mortgage (HELOC) but not the data of fund drawing from HELOC. So if IRS audits you on this, does IRS require you to provide several months of HELOC statements, or require you to provide receipts to show how the HELOC fund is used towards this property? (If IRS only asks for HELOC statements for e.g. 3 months, I can draw the fund 3 months prior to sell.)

The problem is that if I don't max out HELOC before the sell, it is hard to spend all the money (that is going to 1031 intermediary) within required timeframe, that is why I want to reduce the money that is going to 1031 intermediary by drawing all available HELOC amount before the sell.

I used the HELOC on and off to flip other properties before, but right now the HELOC balance is $0. HELOC was opened over 1 year ago.

===============================================

Another question - the capital gain tax that is getting deferred by 1031 is based on sale price and cost basis, correct? i.e. the capital gain tax that is getting deferred is the same no matter HELOC is maxed out or not?

Loading replies...