1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Cathy Zhong
Votes |
QI Charge for one DST with multiple properties

Cathy Zhong
Posted Jun 16 2022, 11:06

My QI offers 3 free replacement properties purchase exchange, then they charge fees for each extra properties exchanged.

Now that I will invest in one DST with 4 or more multiple properties. The purchase is only one transaction ( wire the fund to sponsor), Is QI allowed to charge fees for each extra property even though they only do one transaction?

Thanks in advance!

Cathy

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Bruckman
  • Financial Advisor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jun 16 2022, 17:06

Typically QIs view DSTs as one property regardless of how many actually properties are within the DST. Of course, all fees and charges are negotiable between you and the QI.

Hope that helps.  

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Jun 17 2022, 07:39

@Cathy Zhong, There are no pricing laws for QI work. They are allowed to charge what every they want. Your fee will be whatever is negotiated with them. If you are using one 1031 exchange to purchase a DST that may contain several assets then you are still purchasing only one DST. And I would think that is normally one purchase. But you've got to figure this out with your QI.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jane S.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jun 19 2022, 10:28

Do you mean you’re exchanging 4 of your properties? If so, my QI would add on after the first property but probably a smaller fee.

User Stats

Votes
Cathy Zhong
Votes |
Replied Jun 22 2022, 12:23

I sold one townhome, I purchased 3 DSTs for my replacement properties:

DST1 has 4 buildings.

DST2 has 1 building.

DST3 has 1 building.

So I have tiny shares spread for total 6 buildings, but the whole DST purchase proceed involved only 3 transactions (3 closings), that is why I revoked previous identification form and listed only 3 DST as our exchange purchases in the new form. Hopefully this will clarify the QI fee issue. My experience is that you don't need to fill the ID form if you already purchased all DSTs for your replacement properties within 45 days of identification period. If my QI deduct the fees for what they believed extra properties inside DST, I would say goodby to them forever.

User Stats

Votes
Cathy Zhong
Votes |
Replied Jul 1 2022, 11:55

This is a follow up of the question I have asked regarding QI fee for DST with multiple properties:

Brandon Bruckman was right, my QI has returned my account balance without deducting any $$ for 3 DST purchase.

The whole purchase was very smooth and efficient; I already received pro-rated investment return for month of June. Thanks to Joe and Carl Sera from Sera Capital helping us guild through the entire process. Their website provided very useful information to understand DST investment concept.

Cathy