Anna Cook
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
1031 exchange recommendations of my 3 Dallas properties

Anna Cook
  • Fremont, CA
Posted Apr 12 2018, 11:38

Hi all investors:

I need your expertise on 1031 exchange which I have not done before.  We have 3 properties in Dallas which have come to a point that the cash flow is minimal due to huge increase in property taxes and insurance premiums.  The lease of two properties will expire at the end of June and the other one will expire at the end of July.  We have max out our 10 Freddie/Fannie mortgages.  So, it will be easier to do a 1031 exchange with duplexes, triplexes or quadplexes.  Our property manager suggests us to sell each property and exchange into 2-3 properties further north and east of Dallas in the path of growth.  So, we can repeat the process in about 3-4 years.  But the interest rate of portfolio loans are high and can fix for only 3 years.  Our concern is that we may not have cash flow and have to bet on future appreciation.  If we do a 1031 exchange with all 3 properties in one exchange, will it be difficult in terms of timing?  We can exchange into one multi family with more units in less expensive markets.  The equities are $95,000, $75,000 and $100,000, respectively for the 3 properties.  We are considering of doing a 1031 exchange with brand new triplexes and quadplexes in Oklahoma.  But it may be difficult since their inventories are limited.  Any suggestions as to what type of properties and which markets are highly appreciated.  I understand that the Dallas market is hot and if we exchange into multi families, the cash flow will be better but future appreciation will be low.  But if we don't do a 1031 exchange now, the cash flow may become negative very soon.

Thank you very much for your time and advice!

Anna

Loading replies...