1031 Exchanges

User Stats

Votes
Isaac S.
Votes |
Delaware Statutory Trust DST 1031 Difficulty Giving up control

Isaac S.
Posted Feb 18 2019, 18:30

Looking to get feedback from others that have 1031 into DST Delaware Statutory Trust.

We have tons of equity, low debt, fully depreciated, and I have been dealing with toilets, trash, and tenants, for 20 years...I often fantasize about passive income, because owning a 90 year old apartment building, is not passive at all. I tell people that I start my day with a list of 100 things to do, and by the time i finish the first 10, the list is already back up to 120 and I'm lucky to end the day back at 100.

Maybe this is a moment of weakness, but, it sure seems like I have them more and more often and that lifestyle of a passive investor analyzing DST's every 5-7 years, and checking on quarterly reports keeps seeming more and more attractive!

Am I missing something? I know fees are high, but, the passivity is worth it, to me, as long as the cash flow and appreciation are consistent. Hell, even just not loosing equity and steady cash flow would be fine.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Sera
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Oct 20 2021, 12:09

@Nick C. Keep in mind that most DSTs are about 50-55% LTV or less.

The answer to your question is somewhat subjective depending on personal preferences...The most important thing to keep in mind is that you'll need to match your debt and equity in order to execute a tax-free exchange.  You can always take on more debt, but less will create taxable "boot."

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Winther
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Oct 20 2021, 12:09

@James Sun - We have reduced our fees for the DST's because the fees can get pretty high and scary for potential investors.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Hubbard
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Dec 3 2021, 16:22

Currently researching DST's as a 1031 upleg alternative or possible place to park our proceeds for the next +-5 years giving the hot RE markets some time to hopefully normalize. One issue I see for this strategy is the property I'm selling (scheduled to close escrow in a few weeks) is not encumbered by any financing and it seems that most of the desirable multifamily DST's are 40-50% LTV with interest only loans. So at the end of this DST term when I "un-park" and 1031 back into a solely owned building I will need to then finance at least the same % the DST was financed at.

Any of you 1031 or DST guru's know a way around this? I guess I could just keep rolling DST's with this portion of our rental portfolio but in the long run I hope to do better then 4-5% returns.

User Stats

Votes
Randy Bloch
  • Minneapolis
Votes |
  • Minneapolis
Replied Dec 3 2021, 16:51

when you 1031 back into solely own building why not take on 40-50% debt?  It is modest leverage so it will help you returns as you hope to do better than 4-5%.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Dec 3 2021, 19:33

@Kevin Hubbard, There's several commonly used tactice 

1.  It's important to know that you don't technically have to replace the debt.  You can use your own cash and as long as you purchase at least as much as your% of the net sale you'll still defer all tax.  Most folks don't have the cash so they end up taking out new debt to match.

2. Like you said, you can always roll into another DST. Or you could end up going into a zero coupon DST to eat up the debt and use the rest of the cash to purchase a brick and mortar asset. This would just mean that your 1031 purchases two replacement properties.

3. You could also take the attitude of @Randy Bloch.  40% - 50% leverage isn't hard to come by.  And I'm guessing that you're anticipating a jump back into the market after a correction.  In that case you'd be wanting to beg borrow and steal every penny you could to purchase real estate.  So some responsible debt won't hurt you at all.

Don't forget that theres some positives in assuming that debt. First it's non-recourse so it disappears from your personal balance sheet. Secondly, putting $500K of cash into a 50% leveraged DST means you are purchasing $1,000,000 of the DST. That means more depreciable basis, and more appreciation (and amortization if it's an amortizing loan).

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Winther
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Dec 6 2021, 12:12

@Kevin Hubbard - If you are looking to park your proceeds to get back into the RE market in 3-5 years, a multifamily DST is your best option. Multifamily dst portfolios are seeing a shorter hold time of 3-5 years with the growth of the RE market. You are correct, most multifamily dst portfolio are leveraged around 40-50%. When the multifamily dst properties sell, you will need to replace the debt from the dst portfolio. You can 1031 exchange out of a dst into a physical property when the properties sell. You can finance your replacement property to replace the debt from the dst. We have many clients who utilize this strategy. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Dec 6 2021, 14:14

@Kevin Hubbard
Dave Foster did a nice job of outlining the mechanics of transactions. The hard part of investing is sifting through everything on the list and picking the best opportunity. The nice thing about DSTs, much like a publically traded equity, there is so much information that has to be filed for each offering that if you have the time and expertise, you can really understand the good deals from the bad. You wouldn't buy any "house" just because a "house" is for sale. You shouldn't by a "DST" or a "stock" just because it's for sale. It's just doing your own research that has made you a good investor in the past.

The nice thing about DSTs, is there are entire research companies dedicated to 3rd party analysis on every individual DST offering. I'd start there. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 7 2021, 11:24

I'm new and have enjoyed reading and learning from this thread! We are in the middle of doing a 1031 ourselves and I researched DSTs staring a year ago as a plan B. I'm a real estate broker in Utah and knew how difficult it would be to do a 1031 in this market if we didn't have something lined up prior to the sale and learned about DSTs and started researching different offerings. When one of our properties fell through we determined it may be good to diversify and put the left over funds into NNN as everything else we put into Residential rentals again. After much research we are leaning towards ExchangeRights NLP-52 that was just released for these reasons. A-we have money left over from our 1031 and are identification period ends in 9 days. B-They project a 6% return with monthly distributions which is higher than what we can find in any other replacement properties C-Its a diversified NNN package with essential businesses D-Their track record even through Covid was 100% rent collection as they are all corporate leases not franchise leases D-We love the option that we can Upreit, cash out or 1031 again. E-All their past offerings have performed at or above the projections F-We are debt free and actually was attracted that we could benefit from taking on the non recourse loan. Has anyone invested with ExchangeRight as I know they are not one of the bigger sponsors but their fees are the lowest from what we can see and its our understanding they get paid based on performance which keeps them motivated to manage properly. Is my research correct and does anyone have insights that I may need to be aware of before we commit to identify this as our last purchase?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Sera
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Dec 7 2021, 12:16

@Sandi Bates A lot of investors are hesitant to invest in NNN properties these days given the current and expected inflationary environment we're in combined with leases that have fixed rent escalations. If inflation outpaces the rental escalations the NNN DSTs will not hold their value and you'll more than likely end up getting absorbed into their UPREIT.

I'd recommend looking at DSTs in more inflationary adjusted asset classes like multifamily, self-storage and manufactured housing. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick C.
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 11 2022, 17:55

First experience with a 1031 exchange and DST. Let's see how this goes!

Sold our vacation rental and have put the proceeds into two DST offerings. Both are multi-family apartments and one has a 3.9% distribution rate and the other is 4.01%. Both were offered by Capital Square.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Jan 12 2022, 09:48

Good luck @Nick C.! I've worked with CS in the past. Nice people. 

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Pappas
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Professional
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jan 12 2022, 20:55
Originally posted by @Nick C.:

Sold our vacation rental and have put the proceeds into two DST offerings. Both are multi-family apartments and one has a 3.9% distribution rate and the other is 4.01%. Both were offered by Capital Square.

Congrats and best of luck! My clients who are no longer hamstrung by daily upkeep and repairs experience a tremendous sense of relief investing passively. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Gallagher
  • Haddon Heights, NJ
Votes |
  • Haddon Heights, NJ
Replied Apr 1 2022, 09:03
Quote from @Nick C.:

Hi Nick- Best of luck. Newbie here getting an education on DST's. Did you use an RIA or go the broker route?

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Russ Olivier
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 28 2022, 20:16

New to this post but what a wealth of information, thank you all!

Am considering selling my 15 single family homes this year and investing the equity in DSTs. I understand (mostly from this thread) they are generally higher fees and low(er) returns vs other 1031 alternatives. But the ability to diversify by asset type and geography is very attractive, and the true passive nature is something I’m looking for as i get older. 

One question for those with DST investing experience … how did you go about analyzing the offerings? What did you focus most closely on and what helped you decide if the investment was strong or weak? And were there any key numbers or ratios you could use across offerings to give you a quick comparison of the different deals?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and for everything already shared!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 29 2022, 07:43

Why DSTs vs other passive investments?

User Stats

Votes
Russ Olivier
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 29 2022, 07:48
Quote from @Rebecca Six:

Why DSTs vs other passive investments?

Mostly because I want to diversify …

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 09:50

@Russ Olivier,

You are asking the right question, and like any real estate deal, due diligence is massively important. The challenge you'll face is that, even though this is fundamentally real estate, you're moving from the SFH retail world to evaluating institutional assets within asset classes that are likely less familiar.

The first thing you'll notice is that the sponsors (who are the Trustees of the trust and could also be thought of as the general partner of the deal) will issue a PPM (private placement memorandum) that is a 300-500 page document. This document is everything that is necessary to issue the deal. A worthwhile investment isn’t just one with attractive cash flow projections; it must also base those projections on sound underwriting assumptions. Those assumptions are all documented within the PPM.

Information from the sponsor is important but should serve as the starting point. You'll want to collect research that goes far beyond the documents and reports provided by the sponsor.

I'd work my way down this list when looking at the buildings: 

Specific to the properties: Acquisition Costs, Environmental Reports, Appraisals, Property Condition Reports, Inspections

Because these are likely commercial properties, much of the value is connected to the tenant, so evaluating the tenant becomes crucial: Conditions of Leases (duration, escalations, extensions), Balance Sheets, Competitors, Historical Performances, Credit Scores, Macro Trends

Local market factors that you are used to pulling: population density, population growth, unit type inventory and growth (multifamily), median income, etc...

Financing terms: interest rate, principle paydown plan, cash sweep options...

Offering model: management plan, operations, asset management, exit strategy.

Sponsor track record: Every sponsor has a list of the previous offerings within the PPM. Although the past won't predict the future, it's important to understand their expertise and previous success. 

There are financial services firms that focus on real estate backed securities as a significant part of their practice. I'd try to parse out the sales people from the analysts with a simple question, "Can you show me an example of a DST that your firm is choosing not to sell, based on your evaluation of the underwriting? And can you walk me through that offering in great detail?"

User Stats

Votes
Russ Olivier
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 29 2022, 11:10
@Jon Taylor:

Great advice Jon, thanks!  Any Financial Services firms you'd recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Winther
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Sep 29 2022, 11:23

Great advice Jon! I love how you point out that there is more to research than just the cash flow.

The PPM is a vital resource to learn about the offering. They are intrusive and long, but will provide all the financials, projections, demographics, financing, fees, insurance, etc. I am licensed to offer DST's and work with the top sponsors in the dst space.

I help clients review the ppm, but my clients get the most knowledge when we schedule a call with  the dst sponsors directly. 

@Russ Olivier - If you have any questions regarding the dst, I would be happy to answer them for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Sep 29 2022, 11:44
Quote from @Russ Olivier:
@Jon Taylor:

Great advice Jon, thanks!  Any Financial Services firms you'd recommend?

Russ - The objective of this forum is purely education, but if you'd like to send me a direct message, I can provide additional information. 

User Stats

Votes
Diane Forgy
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Replied Oct 1 2022, 09:38

I have a commercial building under contract and am now considering investing my proceeds into DST's. Been through most of the thought processes above but due to time constraints and uncertainty on going it alone right now in a property or properties, DST's are the probably the best route for this bucket of cash. I got a presentation from Inland through my financial advisor and because of this thread, am also researching other DST's. Feel it best to diversify into a few to manage risk and liquidity. I hope I am on the right track. Appreciated reading every response on this post.

User Stats

Votes
Russ Olivier
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Oct 2 2022, 07:48
Quote from @Diane Forgy:

I have a commercial building under contract and am now considering investing my proceeds into DST's. Been through most of the thought processes above but due to time constraints and uncertainty on going it alone right now in a property or properties, DST's are the probably the best route for this bucket of cash. I got a presentation from Inland through my financial advisor and because of this thread, am also researching other DST's. Feel it best to diversify into a few to manage risk and liquidity. I hope I am on the right track. Appreciated reading every response on this post.

Keep us updated on your progress Diane!

User Stats

Votes
Diane Forgy
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Leawood, KS
Replied Oct 2 2022, 10:00
Quote from @Russ Olivier:
Quote from @Diane Forgy:

Keep us updated on your progress Diane!
Will do!  I won't rule out any option other than DST's as in a perfect world I would do both for diversity and a little more liquidity.  Just may not work out timing wise.  

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Winther
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Oct 2 2022, 10:06
Quote from @Diane Forgy:

@Diane Forgy congrats on selling your property! If you have any dst related questions, diversification by sponsors, or available portfolios, I can help. Feel free to reach out with any questions! 😃

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Oct 2 2022, 21:48

One cautionary reminder is that the sponsor (Inland, etc…) is the seller. Going to the sponsor directly is like asking the homeowner what’s wrong with their house. Good thing to do. But I wouldn’t skip the inspector!