I need some advise, short sale during redemption period?

5 Replies

The owner of the property is in the military and the house went back to the bank bc nobody bid at the sheriff's sale. The bank bid was 25k. The deficiencies were around 125k. 

Obviously I'm new to foreclosures but, from what I understand, the owner still had the opportunity to get this property back during the redemption period.

I wrote the owner and told the owner I was interested in buying the house. If he agrees, can I buy it at just above the bank bid with a short sale or would it be with the deficiencies included?

I'm trying to get this property before the redemption period expires.

Medium logo8107749 smjpegAl Mcbee, 26.2 Property Investments | [email protected] | 785‑709‑0308 | http://www.262propertyinvestments.com

Sounds like a great strategy Al. I don't know the answer but am interested in finding out too. 

-Tiffany

Not familiar with your state redemption periods.  But, if the bank would consider a short sale during this period they'll be looking for something near current value.  The bid amounts, or outstanding mortgage balance, at the auction are irrelevant

If you want it, you'll have to pay the loan off. I've not heard of a lender negotiating a short sale post sale, during redemption.

Interesting that no one bid against the bank, was it just the mortgage or were the taxes behind also?  In an auction on a foreclosure by lender, typically the bank bid is the outstanding balance.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you