Possible deal please help?

12 Replies

Hi BP,

I was trying to figure out if this deal was good for me my wife's mom's home is in pre-foreclosure and I was wondering, Could I make a good profit on a property that is worth 230,000 and they have 180,000 left to pay on it .It was originally 280,000. Im trying to whole sale it??

What it was worth originally is irrelevant. What are similar sqft homes selling for in the area?

And when I say similar, I mean "as is" condition or rehabbed. Pool or no pool?

I'm not a short sale expert, but you may actually be able to get it for under the $180k if you go that route.  Basically you make an offer to the bank to buy the property for less than what they owe but more than what the bank would make selling it in foreclosure.  Hopefully you'll get some short sale experts here.  In reality someone should be able to buy it for $180k and just pay off the mortgage.  

235,000 is the most for a home without a pool and same amount of bedrooms and bath 

@Lucas P.  undefined

@Dustin Smith  undefined

Thanks and so I should get it for less than 180,000 and  sell it for 180,000?

@Elijah Crowder  I would sell it for whatever its worth. You could possibly get it for less, maybe $170k, but that all depends on the banks situation. They will only do that if they won't get $170 for it after the foreclosure process. 

I'm not a short sale expert either, but I'm pretty sure the bank would want to get current market value, especially if that value is the amount of the loan or higher.

Also, you may run into trouble convincing the back to deal if the buyer is related to the homeowner.

@Lucas P.  Valid points. There would have to be a reason the bank couldn't get a better price. Maybe the foreclosure process is extremely expensive, I'm not a banker and I'm not sure what it costs. You'd likely have to do the contract. 

@Lucas P.  

@Dustin Smith  

Ok, Thanks for the info and do I have to get a title company?

And she doesn't live in the same state anymore so I don't think it should be a problem.??

@Elijah Crowder  

1.  How much is owed in back payments?

2.  What are estimated repair costs?

3.  How sure are you of your numbers? 

4. Monthly payments (PITI)?

4.  Instead of ensuring your mother in law suffers a serious credit hit for years to come, why not consider contracting subject-to so she can get her payments back on track and still make a good deal for an end investor.  

Message me with details as I would be interested in the property if the numbers work. 

Thanks.

Elijah, you should contact Oyezz Real Estate in Dallas. They are short sale experts and can walk you through it and negotiate with the bank for you. Haven't worked with them yet personally but I've heard good things.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.