Advice - Forclosure help on buying early

6 Replies

There is a house that is going to be sold on the courthouse lawn.

I have the for-closure papers in my hand... The story is the guy passed away back in Jan. No next of Kin.... no real family members.

Wells fargo is the lender.....  Who do I contact? Is it possible to buy this house before it goes to auction? Can I contact someone directly and try to buy before??? I really like the house, I am a first time home buyer   need some advice.

Aarron Eilers there are a lot of hoops to jump through here and it might not workout, but typically if someone passes away the house will fall into probate. How did you find out the guy died? Look up his obituary if there is one, it should name family members in there that you can contact. I would also try to get ahold of the lender and discuss the situation with their loan loss mitigation department, although they might not talk to you since you do not have authorization from the estate to discuss the mortgage situation. Is it upside down? Is there equity? The best, but also the most expensive option is to hire an attorney to do all of this work for you. They will probably have more luck just make sure to find a good attorney. It's definitely not low hanging fruit so it's a good lead you just have a lot of work ahead of you

thanks for the quick response.....  yes he died back in Jan

Gregg Mason, 72, of La Grange died Jan. 19, 2015. Gregg was born on April 19, 1942 in St. Joseph, Mo. to Harold L. Mansperger and Edith Mae Chapple. He was a retired veteran having served over twenty-two years in the Navy.

He is survived by good friends Sandra Sivek, Scott Lucky, Dave Caughman, Connie Sue Michalsky and many others. He is also survived by a brother, William J. Mansperger and a sister, Judith Parisoff. He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Robert E. Mansperger and a sister, Janell E. Lembke. 

I looked up the family members and they are all in their 80s. 

I called a few Wells fargo which is listed on the papers.

But I guess I never got the correct dept.

Going to try and call again and ask for

loan loss mitigation department

I just would like to beat this house to auction. 

Thanks!

The bank can do nothing for you, they don't own it.  Your only shot is for an heir to open probate, and gain the legal authority to sell.  If there's no equity, this would be useless anyway.  Otherwise, buy it at the auction.

Looks like the route we are going to to go! Thanks for the input....  now I gotta figure out a number to spend at auction......  does anyone know if they start out at what is owed? or is number much lower?  tax role shows

Improvement Homesite Value:$86,620

Land Homesite Value:$10,470

Market Value:$97,090

Assessed Value:$97,090

Another question I am running across is if I buy the house on the courthouse lawn, does anyone have any time to come back on me... and take the house back.. .or possible liens etc.     I was told if I go through a real estate company have them buy the house then I buy from the real estate company that the liens or anything are cleared...... im more protected if I go through the real estate company instead of buying it straight mysellf? 

@Aarron Eilers Your last post is totally false.  You need to spend a couple hundred dollars and sit down with a real estate attorney.  Bring your list of questions, and tell him what you're trying to do.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you