Buying pre-foreclosure with auction scheduled as Subject-to

2 Replies

According to Zillow the auction is scheduled feb 4th.  Is it still possible to contact the owners with a possible offer to take over mortgage payments and stop auction/foreclosure process?   And if so... what questions do I need answered and what are my next steps? Thanks in advance!

@Lisa Keutman  I wouldn't trust Zillow as an up to date source for anything. Also Feb 4 is a Saturday and I don't think foreclosure sales would be outside of week day business hours but NC may be different.

It is possible that the owners have already sold the house but you won't know until you contact them. At this late date you can still buy the house but you have to act FAST. You have to get the house under contract, get into escrow, contact the bank and pay off the arrears. Then make sure the bank has time to stop the foreclosure sale on the courthouse steps. 

Yes you can take over the mortgage "subject to" but that will take a knowledgable conversation about what you are asking of the homeowner. Also, make sure you know your state and federal laws on how to deal with homeowners in foreclosure if North Carolina has any.

I agree 100% with what @Guy Olds has said in regards to trusting Zillow. It doesn't get updated as frequently as you need it for pre-foreclosure sales (in my opinion). You'll most likely need to pay for an online service or use your county website if the info is available there.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here