What effect would a market crash have on real estate agents?

4 Replies

I am currently taking online classes to get my real estate license and plan to jump into real estate as soon as possible after I finish college or maybe even while I'm still in college. Anyways my goal is to become an agent and work as hard as I need too to be a successful agent my first few years and not have to get a job working somewhere. I'm worried that sense the market has been so good for some time now that I might get into real estate when this trend has ended and the market is crashing again. If that does happen to be the case I know home values will fall but what will be the effect on selling homes? Will most people try and wait It out or are many people forced to sell because they can no longer afford to live in their house?

@Nickolas Rossol I hate to break it to you, but you will probably want to be doing something else to help put food on the table while you start your realtor business. Most conventional wisdom is that you should have 6 months to a year of income saved up before you start, and even this might not be enough as it takes a while to get your business going as a realtor. 

As for how the market correction will affect agents, I personally am not that concerned. I don't thing the same types of issues are in place with lending this time around. As long as this is more of a "correction" and not a crash, I think people will still be buying and selling. 

Its not impossible to make it quickly as a Realtor...but it is a safe bet that it may take some time....Its not an easy business and most fail.

The market doesn't matter - you just need to quickly adjust who you cater to when the market changes....but overall, homes never stop being bought and sold. 

A market crash will just create a buying opportunity. Use your license to help people buy.

Markets conditons affect commission size, shouldnt matter to an agent as long as he has enough volume

During economic booms there is an influx of people into the profession, and during recessions the number of agents shrink as the number of transactions shrink.  For a full time productive agent, it doesnt really matter, and can actually be good during recessions as average  commissions tend to rise as the part timers who dont know what they are doing, who undercut prices disappear. 

To expand on @John Warren 's idea of having 6 months reserve...Id even add onto that....you need start up capital to be successful.  People often mistake being an agent as having a job. It is not. You are running a small business...and small businesses have overhead whether money is coming in or not.  I tell new agents typically to plan on spending $1,000 a month minimum if they want to be successful.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.