Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities

User Stats

Votes

Investing in Tiny Homes

Posted Oct 4 2022, 20:56

Whats Bigger Pockets opinion on buying some land to build various tiny homes lets say 3 to 4 at a time on a 1 to 2 acre plot. I feel like it might be a great idea here in California and the location I'm in. I'm open to any opinions and thoughts you guys might have or if there's anyone with tiny home investing experience that can chime in and share there experience. 

Thanks in advance

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartling
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rosenberg, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Rosenberg, TX
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:21

Get with your local county and find out how much of the land has to have water detention  ( I am in Houston,TX. CA I know is different) also you can get many more than 4 homes on a 1 acre with a Zero Lot Line.  Work with someone who does entitlement for your area.  I think you are missing out on going a little larger, such as 30ftx80ft lots and make 2 story homes that are affordable builder grade, that would yield more for your land.  Or maybe even 2-3qty 3-4 unit complexes.  But it all depends on your #s.  These vary deal to deal.  

FYI for Fannie & Freddie Loans the house must be at least 350sqft.  

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Oct 5 2022, 20:46

@Ernesto Barragan JR It's been done in various areas across the United States. Though, you'd have to locate the land where you want to buy and check with the zoning department to see what restrictions exist (if any). Tell them exactly what you plan to do and see if it can be done. 

If you can find a piece of land with no restrictions in a decent area with enough market demand, it may just work. 

Hope that helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 7 2022, 17:37
Quote from @Rachel H.:

@Ernesto Barragan JR It's been done in various areas across the United States. Though, you'd have to locate the land where you want to buy and check with the zoning department to see what restrictions exist (if any). Tell them exactly what you plan to do and see if it can be done. 

If you can find a piece of land with no restrictions in a decent area with enough market demand, it may just work. 

Hope that helps! 

Thank you that helped. I have the land located there's about 2 acres of land in a beautiful private community for sell for about $110k and another 4.5 acres for $135k. I was going for some modern, sleek looking homes that would be desirable. I see a trend here in California for people wanting to live a more simplier practical life, so I do think there will be a demand for these tiny homes sooner or later and them being afforable will help out as well.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 7 2022, 17:48
Quote from @Adam Bartling:

Get with your local county and find out how much of the land has to have water detention  ( I am in Houston,TX. CA I know is different) also you can get many more than 4 homes on a 1 acre with a Zero Lot Line.  Work with someone who does entitlement for your area.  I think you are missing out on going a little larger, such as 30ftx80ft lots and make 2 story homes that are affordable builder grade, that would yield more for your land.  Or maybe even 2-3qty 3-4 unit complexes.  But it all depends on your #s.  These vary deal to deal.  

FYI for Fannie & Freddie Loans the house must be at least 350sqft.  

Thank you for the information Its really appreciated. I will have to look into the water detention, the land is off a developed street I believe, so hopefully theres some sewer system in place. I'm going to take a drive up to it this weekend to get a better visual. You are correct I do believe I can get more than tiny homes in place, I will have to look more into it. I do see what your saying that will definitely yield me more income and definitely appreciate more overtime. One main reason why I was looking into tiny homes is because I will be building them myself and is something I can take on myself. I'm new to real estate so this would be my first deal I'm looking to buy the land cash and then building my tiny homes myself without the pressure of the mortage of the land so if the builds delay then it won't kill me because the land will be paid off. Me being new to real estate I do welcome any critizism, opinions and advice you can give thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Hoover
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mohawk Valley, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mohawk Valley, NY
Replied Mar 2 2023, 17:03

Highly recommend the book "Pocket Neighborhoods". There is a ton of information on this with several examples in California.