• Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Institutional buyers and funds.... help connecting

Jared Crum
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Nov 9 2022, 13:01

BP Family. Any help would be appreciated. Recently, I was re-united with a colleague, we both worked at a major Ibuyer, both in acquisitions. We have a good understanding of acquisitions, but wanted to get more into connecting institutional buyers or funds, with sellers at scale, focusing on volume of deals per month. We know who the big players are, Invitation Homes, AH4R, Progress, Tricon, the list goes on and on. We feel we are best positioned to help smaller to mid-size groups, where they are trying to acquire 10-30+ homes per month. The question is, where are those small to mid-size institutional buyers? Thanks in advance, Jared. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 9 2022, 15:08

@Jared Crum

I don't think there's any such thing as a "small institutional buyer" - a small buyer is us small investors hanging out on BP =)

Go to REIAs and network and see what folks are doing

User Stats

Votes
Jared Crum
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Nov 9 2022, 15:25

@Nicholas L. - thanks for the suggestion. You don't think there are levels of institutional buyers?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathon Hunt
  • Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Nov 9 2022, 15:57
Quote from @Jared Crum:

@Nicholas L. - thanks for the suggestion. You don't think there are levels of institutional buyers?

Hi Jared,

I don't know who is still buying these days, but there was a lot of money raised across the institutional spectrum by large private equity groups. They usually partner with smaller operators to purchase in certain markets. I don't know who these smaller operators are either, but you could start doing dives into the following groups:

Blackstone Group (obviously huge, but maybe you could dig into who they partner with)

Alaska Permanent Fund

Oaktree Capital Management

Colony Capital

GI Partners

Waypoint Homes

User Stats

Votes
Jared Crum
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Nov 10 2022, 08:28

@Jonathon Hunt - thank you sir, appreciate the info, we haven't connected with the middle 4. Cheers. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Nov 10 2022, 17:00

@Jared Crum

my point was more that there are institutional buyers (the big institutions) and non-institutional buyers (everyone else).

also check out Steve Trang's podcast Real Estate Disruptors for some great insight

User Stats

Votes
Jared Crum
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Nov 14 2022, 08:24

@Nicholas L. - thank you, will do

User Stats

Votes
Jared Crum
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Nov 18 2022, 09:23

@Nicholas L. - solid podcast. I enjoyed the topic of sculpting, rather than "always being on the GRIND", that hit home for me. Cheers mate.