Skip to content
Goals, Business Plans & Entities

User Stats

Votes

How to start in realestate?

Posted Feb 2 2023, 08:54

Hello to all,

I'm interested in breaking into the real estate world as a side gig. My background is in the medical field (RN). I don't have any real estate experience. I am interested in learning and earning along the way. What is the best way to learn, start a business, make connections and build my core four in real estate? 

I've considered:

1. Home inspector

2. Realtor

3. Property Manager assistant

4. Bird dog

5. Read a few books get a couple core four recommendations, buy a property and hope for the best.

Your feed back is much appreciated, Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Kwan
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Feb 2 2023, 09:05

HI Derrick,

You could probably consider being a realtor or property manager assistant to get your hands dirty in the industry. However the best way is to get in the door by acquiring one so maybe house hack. I know housing prices in DC can be scary especially Georgetown but maybe Virginia or Maryland since it's like 20-30 mins from the capital

@Carlos Valencia @Albert Bui

User Stats

Votes
Amber Fisher
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 2 2023, 09:42

Have you considered investing in properties to flip or turn into rentals?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 2 2023, 09:45
Quote from @Derrick Blackwell:

Hello to all,

I'm interested in breaking into the real estate world as a side gig. My background is in the medical field (RN). I don't have any real estate experience. I am interested in learning and earning along the way. What is the best way to learn, start a business, make connections and build my core four in real estate? 

I've considered:

1. Home inspector

2. Realtor

3. Property Manager assistant

4. Bird dog

5. Read a few books get a couple core four recommendations, buy a property and hope for the best.

Your feed back is much appreciated, Thank you.

This will really depend on what you think would fit you best. Try to attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate investors as you can. Try to find a mentor doing what you want to do. You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one.

Try to think of different ways you can add value to that person. What are your strengths? For example are you experienced in social media marketing? Could you offer a mentor some tips? This way its not just a one way street.

You have to be committed. Read some books to get great ideas. I personally recommend you try the Million Dollar RE agent by Gary Keller, Million dollar investor by Gary Keller, and The Abcs of Commercial Real Estate investing by Ken McElroy. This can be a great starting point for you. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 2 2023, 09:46

I've been in analysis paralysis for a long time. The thing that hold me up is lack of experience. I'm thinking by becoming a realtor, property manager or home inspector I would gain experience make the right connections and build confidence in my ability to find a good investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Kai Kopsch
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 2 2023, 09:55

@Derrick Blackwell their hundreds of different ways to get started. getting licensed is a good way to get a basic understanding of the RE world and it's much easier to find an assistant job.  Attending a pre-licensing class in person gives you also the opportunity to start networking with a much deeper bond than just going to an RE meetup once in a while. Wish you lots of success.

Kai Kopsch Realty One Group Select Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Feb 2 2023, 10:47

@Derrick Blackwell House hacking was my way in to real estate investing! It's a great way to get started. It allows you to get into a property for only 5% down and then get experience with remodeling, landlording, etc. Look into it!

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Feb 2 2023, 12:50

@Derrick Blackwell
I would recommend option 4/5. A lot of the other ones are serviced based businesses so if you aren't doing it full time you aren't going to be able to provide the best service to customers and it might just be a waste of time and money to get qualified to be an agent/ home inspector if it's a part-time side gig. It costs money as an agent to renew your license, have access to the MLS, and other fees as well you need to hang your license at a brokerage which may charge you fees.

Reafco- Logo