Tax filing for LLCs

4 Replies

Hi, I am a newbie and probably a month or so away from buying my first single family house to rent out. I will probably purchase at least 4 more this year. I plan on putting each house in it's own LLC (I am in Georgia). My question is, does each LLC have to file it's own tax return? Seems like that could get expensive, since I use a CPA for my taxes.

Most CPAs I've spoken with charge either based on each return or per work hour. I'm thinking each LLC will require its own return, since it's its own legal entity and separate from you, unlike a sole proprietorship where your and your business's money are linked. I could be mistaken, so of course you'll want to talk to your CPA about it, but that's my thought. Hope it helps some!

@Brandon Hall , thanks for the clarification!

Originally posted by @Brandon Hall :

@Pamela Spence @Chad Clanton

If the LLC is a single member LLC, it is disregarded for tax purposes and does not require separate forms. All properties will be reported on Schedule E if you are in the business of buy and hold.

Thanks Brandon, that is very helpful!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.