Registered Agent

9 Replies

I just formed my LLC and set myself up as the Registered Agent. I am thinking this is not the ideal situations, since my name will be on the public record.

As far as real estate goes, who do people typically use as their registered agent?

Most states require an annual report to be filed which shows the owners of a LLC or corporation. I am not sure on New York, but this is what an asset searcher would search.

Most people use their attorney. You can hire nationwide services for around $99 a year. I do it for some of my out of state clients who have registered as a foreign LLC in TN as they are required to have a local agent.

I have my attorney as my registered agent and so do most of the investors I know.

I would change yours to an attorney (or someone else besides yourself) when you get a chance.

There is nothing wrong with being your own registered agent or statutory agent (same state LLC). You are probably already on the public register as the Manager and/or Member of your LLC. The benefit of having your attorney or CPA as your registered agent is that they will receive legal service on your behalf. There is one caution however, if your registered agent receives notice and does not notify you, you may be in jeopardy by not replying to the notice in the time prescribed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here