Joint Venture - percentages for each party involved

2 Replies

My father & I are considering entering a partnership with a good friend of mine who is an experienced contractor. We would like to flip to earn capital for future buy and holds. My questions are: 1. Should we form some type of entitiy (LLC) or just do a joint venture since this is our first flip. 2. What percentages should we use: 33.3% each? Should my dad & I get a higher percentage since we are putting up the money. Should we just pay my contractor friend his rate and go 50/50 with my dad? One more thing, I plan on spending 15-25 hours a week on the flip myself (I've designed & built a house for my parents & maintain my parents rental (their old house), so I'm pretty handy). I've heard the saying " A partnership is the hardest ship to sail & I don't want to go down in high seas with my dad & a good buddy. Thx for your input.

Based on what you said and being in Sacramento, where I'm guessing houses to flip could need between 300-400k cash and you might be looking at 50-100k of repair costs you should probably go the 50/50 and hire your friend.

Have you already figured it out Jeff? I'd like to hear what others have to say as well.

Will,  I posted this on another forum.   The general consensus was to hire my friend (like you said) and figure out a time for money split with my Dad since I will be working on the flip too.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here