Southern Indiana RE Lawyer

2 Replies

I am looking for a good RE/Business layer and a CPA familiar with RE investing in the New Albany Indiana area. Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

-Ace Saxon

Originally posted by @Ace Saxon :

I am looking for a good RE/Business layer and a CPA familiar with RE investing in the New Albany Indiana area. Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

-Ace Saxon

I'm sure you've seen me post about this before, but don't be afraid to go non-local. You will expose yourself to a wider pool of expertise which is critical for real estate investors.

Many of us service clients all over the US and even world. We utilize various forms of technology to collaborate seamlessly with our clients and rarely have issues.

If you are set on using someone local, search the BP forums for investors local to you and reach out to ask for a referral. Or join a local FaceBook/ REIA group. You can also check with your state CPA board as they will likely refer you to someone in your area who has a good reputation.

Hope this helps!

Lawyers can be a bit more limited in what they can do out of state. But we can do some things out of state. But the most important thing is to get someone who understands your business.

Ask the attorney if they know real estate "investing" not just real estate. Many real estate attorneys, even really good ones, don't know we investors do.

Ask them if they know what wholesaling, birddogging, flipping are AND how they are taxed. 

Ask them if they understand asset protection structures for real estate. You need different kinds of entities for taxes and asset protection. The attorney needs to understand what kind of structure for what kind of business.

Ask them if they understand using a land trust.

Ask them if they do transaction documents for the kinds of investing you're doing.

Ask them if they know about or speak at REIAs.

Then, ask them typical vetting questions about how long as a lawyer, etc.

Jeff

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you